2016 Airport Relay Challenge

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
OK gang. Here's your challenge(s) for the New Year - although you can start prior to Jan 1, 2016 if you like.

We need to get more pilots to meet up, and so no one feels left out, rather than doing a single relay, we are doing four, yes four relays - which then conveniently all morph into one large web - because they all have the same destination, and they all involve (or can involve) nearly they entire contiguous 48 states.

I have spent a few weeks in my spare time coming up with pages on a site that hopefully makes it a bit easier for participants to, uh, participate. As this was kicked around between myself and a few on here, I finally came up with the destination when I looked at the url and thought, "duh, should have had this as the destination from the get go." After I had that in mind, it was simply a matter of picking out some places to start from to get as many involved as I could.

What's required of you:
Have...
...an airplane (or other aircraft)
...an ability to meet another pilot at a certain airport
...enough extra cash to buy 2 6-packs of locally produced beverages.
...the desire to fly to some places you may not have been before.
...take a picture of the meeting and post it with a small blurb on the website.

So California/West Coast folks - your starting point is O33. Why did I pick that? It's on the coast, somewhat in the centralish part of the entire west coast, and allows the option for the relay to go north, or south.

Texas/South Central folks - T82. Why there? I've been there and I know at least one of you on here goes there routinely, and I figured it a good place to kick start it.

Florida/Southeast people - 42J. Why there? Because with the way this relay works very few Florida airports (especially the one's with an X in the identifier) didn't result in a dead end unless you felt like flying 700nm one way.

Massachusetts/Northeast flyers - 1B2. Why there? It's a cool airport, I've been there, and it's also on the ocean.

But you left out the north central! No I didn't. That's the destination. The goal is to reach 6Y9 for our Labor Day Weekend Fly-in.

An overview and more information on what this is about can be found here:
www.sidnaw.org/relay/

Mods: Can I get this made as a sticky.

Also, I'm leaving it up to the starting pilots on this:

If you want to meet another pilot at the starting points, and figure out which one of you starts the relay that's fine.
OR
If you want to fly out there by yourself (or have been there within the past 6 months and have a picture of you at the airport) and save having to buy 1 6-pack of beverage, that's fine too.

If you got questions, post em here. When someone decides to get this kick started I will have passwords for each of you to pass along so you can update the route and upload the photos.

Also, to make it a bit more challenging, I've made it so the valid airports on the route page are limited to ones that haven't been part of that specific relay. So - no backtracking allowed.

Oh, and there will be prizes for some or all participants. Some of them have already been determined, and some have yet to be.

Last edited:
First.

if-youre-not-avvs40.jpg

When they put my plane back together, if nobody has already, I will go to T82 and hop back from there to start a leg.

If/When you do, snap a picture and upload it.

I ll definitely go from 1b2....who could meet me somewhere with a related identifier within 200 miles of 1b2?

The options near t82 seem... Limited lol. If be willing to fly out and have lunch with whoever else wants to go to t82, though!

T82 is my "always" place - except now, because my aeroplane is broken! Just like Bry-with-a-Y.

OK, not the same. My engine's out, while his tail feathers are being re-Testored back onto the plane.

After the new year, maybe we can have a Fredericksburg pub-crawl, barbecue, Luckenbachanalia kick-off party.

Let's think of some logistics; I might even be persuaded to buy some beer.

Here's one possible CA route, but that first leg is a doozy!

O33 ➞ 3O3 ➞ 3Y3 ➞ 1Y3 ➞ 1Y9 ➞ 6Y9

Here's one possible CA route, but that first leg is a doozy!

O33 ➞ 3O3 ➞ 3Y3 ➞ 1Y3 ➞ 1Y9 ➞ 6Y9

LOL. That's what the max distance limiter is for. You can make it from O33 with never having a leg over 400 nm. All other relays were able to be done with 300nm max distance.

I could be of use somewhere in the 42J - 6Y9 relay

LOL. That's what the max distance limiter is for. You can make it from O33 with never having a leg over 400 nm. All other relays were able to be done with 300nm max distance.

All right. Don't tell me what it is. I'll keep playing around but will probably crack and ask what it is.

I like the Samoa starting point. There's an old logging cookhouse nearby.

Make it to Columbus and I'm sure myself or another Columbus POAer would be happy to fly a 1B2-6Y9 leg.

All right. Don't tell me what it is. I'll keep playing around but will probably crack and ask what it is.

Don't ask, I don't remember. I just remember it was doable without a 400+ mile leg, and didn't require 15 to 20 stops.

O33->O32 would target a handoff to the SoCal contingent. O33->S33 would target a handoff to the Oregon/Washington folk.

All right, I thought I was doing pretty good with my "Back country ramble", but clearly got a little confused in the upper midwest trying to get those damn letters to work out.

O33 ➞ S33 ➞ 33S ➞ 23S ➞ 29S ➞ 9S2 ➞ 9D2 ➞ 9Y2 ➞ 5Y2 ➞ 5Y7 ➞ 9Y7 ➞ 7Y9 ➞ 6Y9

Did you notice I put a route mileage on there now?

I also punched in your route...one I messed with today was shorter by quite a few miles.

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand , shouldn't you picked 4 corners of the states, like KEYW in Florida otherwise everybody south of 42J would be backtracking and going farther away?

All right, I thought I was doing pretty good with my "Back country ramble", but clearly got a little confused in the upper midwest trying to get those damn letters to work out.

O33 ➞ S33 ➞ 33S ➞ 23S ➞ 29S ➞ 9S2 ➞ 9D2 ➞ 9Y2 ➞ 5Y2 ➞ 5Y7 ➞ 9Y7 ➞ 7Y9 ➞ 6Y9

You got off to a good start, but once you got to the Great Lakes... um.... :dunno:

Attachments

• route.png
    route.png
    634.4 KB · Views: 33
I guess I don't understand , shouldn't you picked 4 corners of the states, like KEYW in Florida otherwise everybody south of 42J would be backtracking and going farther away?

Did you read the basis of the challenge? There's a reason 3 letter identifiers weren't chosen, and why that particular Florida airport was picked.

The closest airport from EYW that qualifies is 573nm away in South Carolina.

You got off to a good start, but once you got to the Great Lakes... um.... :dunno:

His 'mistake' was made early on. That's the fun part though, there are a lot of possibilities.

His 'mistake' was made early on. That's the fun part though, there are a lot of possibilities.

Yes, I probably went for the "scramble" to get the letter in the middle too early and this sealed my fate.

Asicer - are you on the west coast? Got any route ideas?

I ll definitely go from 1b2....who could meet me somewhere with a related identifier within 200 miles of 1b2?

I can meet anywhere in NE.

7B2 or 8B2 are good hops between us, but 1B1 will provide the most options for the next leg.

It's the new year, and you do realize there is FREE stuff being given away just for participating right?

Is 6Y9 smooth enough for a Mooney? I certainly want to come back, and am going to try and get IFR rated by then.

We have had a few Mooneys in there in the past. 2015 we didn't get a chance to roll it, but that will be done this year.

Back