2015 Oshkosh Hotel prices...WTF!?!

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
So I'm already planning to go to Osh for the July weekend 2015. So I decided to book hotel prices ahead of time and I saw this:

OSH.jpg

To stay at a 2 star Hotel $421.00 a night??

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to stay that is fairly reasonable? Or at LEAST better value.

So I'm already planning to go to Osh for the July weekend 2015. So I decided to book hotel prices ahead of time and I saw this:

View attachment 35908

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to stay that is fairly reasonable? Or at LEAST better value.

attachment.php

Only good way to do OSH, IMO. :yes:

Attachments

• 7thDayCessna.jpg
    7thDayCessna.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 537
I go int appleton ,rooms are half that price,but still pricey. Went into Green Bay this year,price was just over 100 a night,plenty of rooms and bus service to and from the show.

Consider what a few of us are considering...

If we can get enough folks to commit, we're going to find a local RV rental operation and get a nice "pull behind" RV and then see if we can't get spots near Nate and the others.

Camp in camp scholer then or camp next to a fellow PoAers airplane.

Would love to camp with my plane,can't carry the camping gear,weight restricted,in my little plane.

That $421 room sits on airport property. Location, location, location...

EAA promotes the UW dorms (with shuttle bus) as a cheaper option.

BTW, can't possibly imagine [ahem] in a tent on densely populated ground, and that's half of what any vacation is all about. YMMV.

Would love to camp with my plane,can't carry the camping gear,weight restricted,in my little plane.
Buy lightweight hiker stuff. I manage to successfully camp a week out of my FlyBaby.

You can buy stuff when you get there or ship things in advance.

10 lbs of gear will do.

5 lbs will cover the tent no problem. Bring a blanket and pillow. If you want to get fancy you can get a real light weight air mattress.

Fuel is heavy, reduce your fuel by 4 gallons and you can carry 24 lbs more of gear. That's PLENTY enough weight to camp.

Last edited:
There is no better way to experience OSH than to camp on the field. I even convinced my dad to camp with me in 2010 and he loved it. He is a dad that NEVER took us hiking, camping, etc. and I didn't think he had ever been in a tent. I was mostly right...last time prior to the show was Vietnam. Save that hotel money for buying goodies at the show.

If you insist on staying indoors, consider finding one of the thousands of local residents that rents room or the entire house that week. Then try not to kick yourself when you waste an hour or more each day on the commute and hike in to the show from drive-up parking.

BTW, can't possibly imagine [ahem] in a tent on densely populated ground, and that's half of what any vacation is all about. YMMV.

Just have her moan a bit quieter for 7 days...;)......:D

It's just amazing to me that I can go to the same hotel right now for 80 bucks a night...:nonod:

It's just amazing to me that I can go to the same hotel right now for 80 bucks a night...:nonod:

Lots of folks with pockets so deep we can't imagine that wouldn't dare sleep with the unwashed masses that won't even look at what the price is.

Supply and demand makes the economy roll. Hotels are no different.

All summer, our rooms were $119 - $199/night. Now, as we slide into the off-season, the exact same rooms are $69 - $ 139. And in October, we will throw in some Shiner Oktoberfest beer with every room. :)

Back at our hotel in Iowa, on a Big Ten football weekend we could charge pretty much anything. But in January, we couldn't give those same rooms away.

That's the real world.

I go int appleton ,rooms are half that price,but still pricey. Went into Green Bay this year,price was just over 100 a night,plenty of rooms and bus service to and from the show.

How is the traffic in and out of OSH?

This year a friend of my and his buddy flew in by airline, rented a car. Stopped by Walmart bought the biggest tent the could get $150, some chairs and and a cooler for a total of less than $300 and camped there for the week. When they left the gave away the Tent, cooler and chairs. Still cost them less than one night in a hotel.

Brian

When a crap load of people are all coming to the same place at the same time and everybody wants a room, there will always be somebody willing to pay more than somebody else. I know of a few places in different parts of the country that are open all year, but make their years profit all in one week because of big events like this. I'm not at all surprised.

Supply and demand makes the economy roll. Hotels are no different.

All summer, our rooms were $119 - $199/night. Now, as we slide into the off-season, the exact same rooms are $69 - $ 139. And in October, we will throw in some Shiner Oktoberfest beer with every room. :)

Back at our hotel in Iowa, on a Big Ten football weekend we could charge pretty much anything. But in January, we couldn't give those same rooms away.

That's the real world.

Yep,

I have never paid that much for a two star hotel, in my opinion the value isn't there. If they sell out, then more power to them but it wouldn't be me. a super 8 hotel for 800+ for the weekend? You gotta be kidding.

This year a friend of my and his buddy flew in by airline, rented a car. Stopped by Walmart bought the biggest tent the could get $150, some chairs and and a cooler for a total of less than $300 and camped there for the week. When they left the gave away the Tent, cooler and chairs. Still cost them less than one night in a hotel.

Brian

How much does it cost to camp there?

Driving traffic SUCKS. The town is not set up for that kind of traffic, and it shows. Not to mention the transient auto parking lots are quite a hike from the main gate.

I take the bus into the show,let's you off at the main gate. No hassle ,no long walk from parking.

Tent camping under the wing at Oshkosh can be fun some days and on other days, well...

P1010148-742396.jpg

Tent camping under the wing at Oshkosh can be fun some days and on other days, well...

P1010148-742396.jpg

I "think" that was Sun and Fun... but whatever...

The crazy part of that pic is all the planes are strewn everywhere..

And the tent is in PERFECT shape...:confused:........:redface:

View attachment 35908

This is normal for OSH. The further away, the cheaper the rate...except...the Choice hotel in Kimberly ('burb of Appleton). New owners have a cancellation policy unique among all Choice hotels - 30 day advance cancellation. No other choice hotel, even in OSH or Appleton or Green Bay has this. I got stung last year when I made reservations for friends.

Last year I had reservations in Green Bay for $54/night. This year? $75/night. The dorms in OSH are $70/120 (or thereabouts). Haven't checked at Lawrence Univ (Appleton).

Rent a house nearby and split with friends. I did this in 2012 and 2014, and spent under $125/night for my room, and I was a 5-7 minute walk from Basler at the NE corner of the field, where a free shuttle took me to the gate. No worries about traffic, no need for a rental car or parking.

I have been going to Oshkosh since 1992. The first time it cost me like $30/night for the dorms. The next ten years or so ran around $15 for camping with the plane. I haven't paid anything in the last ten years to camp in the woods behind the hangar cafe.

I have been going to Oshkosh since 1992. The first time it cost me like $30/night for the dorms. The next ten years or so ran around $15 for camping with the plane. I haven't paid anything in the last ten years to camp in the woods behind the hangar cafe.

I think it's safe to say that your workload at OSH more than offsets any "free" camping they may provide for you! :)

It's part of the celebration of aviation- inflate the price of everything by 50-200%

I am a very noisy sleeper. I can clear at least 2 cord of wood a night with a hand saw. I would not have very pleasant neighbors in the morning. I might find my plane and tent banished to the far woods.

Yes, bears do sleep in the woods. :wink2:

I am a very noisy sleeper. I can clear at least 2 cord of wood a night with a hand saw. I would not have very pleasant neighbors in the morning. I might find my plane and tent banished to the far woods.

Yes, bears do sleep in the woods. :wink2:

You could be adjacent to me and I'd never notice. Earplugs and one more beer than I really need to drink prevent insomnia.

You make it work :yes:

Rent a house nearby and split with friends. I did this in 2012 and 2014, and spent under $125/night for my room, and I was a 5-7 minute walk from Basler at the NE corner of the field, where a free shuttle took me to the gate. No worries about traffic, no need for a rental car or parking.

:yeahthat:

Stayed in the same (very comfy) house for 12 years. $1500 for 8 nights divided 3 ways. Owner stayed with sister for the week. Even took us skeet shooting at his club. 20 minutes north in nice neighborhood. Luxury car rental. Cooked and BBQ'd our asses off (huge grocery/liquor store 10 min away). Made sure we cranked the AC back up before leaving for the day. Being a volunteer Vice-Chairman got wrist bands and parking. Sweet vacation with the aviation buds each year.

You could be adjacent to me and I'd never notice. Earplugs and one more beer than I really need to drink prevent insomnia.
Beer? Heck, I use bourbon. :D
Been camping in HBC the past 3 years in a row and it's a lot more affordable than hotels. The previous 5 years before that, I stayed at hotels in Watoma (30 miles west) and either flew in and back daily or drove a rental car when the weather was unflyable. This early, you can reserve a rental car from Lungwitz in Redgranite and have them deliver it to the Watoma airport (Y50). Hotels in Watoma ran about $100/ night.

Back