2015 FAR AIM

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Anyone know where I can get a free downloadable PDF of the 2015 FAR AIM? I have tried in all the usual places like the FAA website and just can't find it

Anyone know where I can get a free downloadable PDF of the 2015 FAR AIM? I have tried in all the usual places like the FAA website and just can't find it

I think the FAR/AIM is a copyrighted ASA(?) product. You can download the FARs and you can download the AIM.

You misunderstand LOL. The FAR/AIM book that ASA sells contained a condensed version of CFR 14 regulations. There is no FAA product called "2015 FAR/AIM"; that is an ASA product that likely carries a copyright, if only because they annotate it and index it (products of the US Gov't do not carry copyright).

You misunderstand LOL. The FAR/AIM book that ASA sells contained a condensed version of CFR 14 regulations. There is no FAA product called "2015 FAR/AIM"; that is an ASA product that likely carries a copyright, if only because they annotate it and index it (products of the US Gov't do not carry copyright).

So only download the parts that pertain to you, or pay 5 bucks and buy the ASA ebook.

Honestly there isn't too much reinventing one can do with the FARs and the AIM.

So only download the parts that pertain to you, or pay 5 bucks and buy the ASA ebook.

Honestly there isn't too much reinventing one can do with the FARs and the AIM.

Agree, I was simply answering his specific question, i.e. that product does not exist from the FAA and there is no free download of it.

I bought the ASA FAR/AIM for the iPad three years ago and they've been keeping me current in an easily searchable format ever since. One of the best investments on the iPad.

I bought the ASA FAR/AIM for the iPad three years ago and they've been keeping me current in an easily searchable format ever since. One of the best investments on the iPad.

I have the same thing, for the price of a pint of beer it was a good buy.

I was under the impression you had to buy the app each year. Are you saying you bought it once and updates are free/included? If so, I'm about to go spend (another) ten bucks on at the App Store.

I was under the impression you had to buy the app each year. Are you saying you bought it once and updates are free/included? If so, I'm about to go spend (another) ten bucks on at the App Store.

Yep....they've been keeping it current for free. Great deal!

I feel like they should advertise that fact a little better. I would've bought it YEARS ago had I known this. I assumed you'd have to pay each year for updates. Just bought it... thanks for the heads up!

Went with Kindle. Love the highlighting and notes. You can do them on any of your devices and they appear on all your devices. Love this feature!

Highlighting for my IFR. There sure is a lot to memorize!

For the FAR's, go here.
For the AIM, go here.

That's what I've been doing (in addition to buying the paper copy). However, the idea that an app will continually update and be more easily readable on my iPad makes the app a no-brainer for me.

To each his own, but I kind of like the "no intervention required to always be updated" idea.

Went with Kindle. Love the highlighting and notes. You can do them on any of your devices and they appear on all your devices. Love this feature!

Highlighting for my IFR. There sure is a lot to memorize!

With the ASA App, it too has a highlighting feature. What ever you highlight will be there when you look up that reference again, it's hightlighted.

If you look under the TOOLS Menu, you will see "Highlights" which is a list of things you highlighted.

Also, if you look under TOOLS, you will see a "Study by Category", which is their way of pulling out all of the FAR/AIM/NTSB information you need to know when studying for a particular rating (like IFR, CFI, CP, etc)

With the ASA App, it too has a highlighting feature. What ever you highlight will be there when you look up that reference again, it's hightlighted.

If you look under the TOOLS Menu, you will see "Highlights" which is a list of things you highlighted.

Also, if you look under TOOLS, you will see a "Study by Category", which is their way of pulling out all of the FAR/AIM/NTSB information you need to know when studying for a particular rating (like IFR, CFI, CP, etc)

I've owned the app for like 2 hours and the "Study by Category" has easily just paid for the app cost in last-minute test prep. Thanks for the heads up on this!

No kidding (pokes C'Ron).... I had to find that one by myself, even if one of my IFR instructors was a fan of the app (pokes C'Ron)

And note there is no "2015" edition of either one. The AIM is updated every other year and there are three interim update notices put out in between.

The FARs are changed as the rulemaking proceeds.

The "annualization" of the thing is a figment of the aviation publishers.

And note there is no "2015" edition of either one. The AIM is updated every other year and there are three interim update notices put out in between.

The FARs are changed as the rulemaking proceeds.

The "annualization" of the thing is a figment of the aviation publishers.
Not quite a "figment." Just a way of identifying the ASA/Gleim/Jepp/Etc publication. Just like the "September 1" "current" issue of a monthly magazine that had an article deadline 45-60 days ago.

But just like the magazines, it's a bit of a misnomer. The paper "2015" from ASA that just came out in August 2014 is actually up-to-date and includes the July 2014 AIM revision. But it probably won't be current by January 1, 2015.

you mean the 2006 version I have on the shelf is out of date? ;)

Not quite a "figment." Just a way of identifying the ASA/Gleim/Jepp/Etc publication. Just like the "September 1" "current" issue of a monthly magazine that had an article deadline 45-60 days ago.

But just like the magazines, it's a bit of a misnomer. The paper "2015" from ASA that just came out in August 2014 is actually up-to-date and includes the July 2014 AIM revision. But it probably won't be current by January 1, 2015.

A monthly magazine may indeed be published ahead of the cover date, but it's still monthly. The ANNUAL date on the ASA/JEPP pubs leads people to believe (and indeed the original poster seemed to think this) that the contained material is somehow published on an annual basis and it is not.

It's no more correct to call it a 2015 AIM than to call it a 2015 A/FD or a 2015 Chicago Sectional.

A monthly magazine may indeed be published ahead of the cover date, but it's still monthly. The ANNUAL date on the ASA/JEPP pubs leads people to believe (and indeed the original poster seemed to think this) that the contained material is somehow published on an annual basis and it is not.

It's no more correct to call it a 2015 AIM than to call it a 2015 A/FD or a 2015 Chicago Sectional.

But it - a book with the title "FAR/AIM [Year]" - is published on an annual basis. By ASA, Jepp, Gleim and other, well, "publishers".

I agree on the common confusion. I just don't think using a personal definition of the word "published" rather than the dictionary definition is a solution.

The FAA does produce a paper AIM version. Standard library requirement in most military units.

The FAA does produce a paper AIM version. Standard library requirement in most military units.

There's also a free pdf here:
http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/AIM_Basic_4-03-14.pdf

Compared to the live site, a downloaded pdf has the advantage of remaining accessible when you're offline. The pdf isn't totally up-to-date, but you can download the subsequent changes (just a few pages) from the live site.

Alternatively, you can browse one chapter at a time at the live site, and print each chapter to a pdf file. Similarly, you browse one CFR part at a time at the live CFR site, and print to pdf.

Back