2014 in Review

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
It's time for my annual year in review and a look forward to some new goals for 2015. Looking back at the goals I set in 2013 I at least managed to bust one hundred hours this year. No new upgrades on 08Romeo but maybe we can get things done in 2015.

2014 Totals

Hours: 107.3 YTD - TT 928, XC 94.0, IMC 6.9, Sim IMC 4.0
Airports: F45,KAYS,KHQU,KJZI
States: Florida
Aircraft: Cirrus SR22
Fun Flights:
Beach runs turned into home away from home flights to be with my Bride. Mary has been holding down the fort in Ocean City, MD while I try and get the house sold in North Wilmington. She has her hands full with the three cats and Ziva the American Mastiff. We hope to find a buyer in 2015 so I can retire!

The only 'distance' flight was our Thanksgiving get-away to Florida. Our Valentines day Singer Island FL get-away was cancelled due to snow in February.

2015 Goals

Hours:
Same as every year, at least 100 and I hope to bust a total time of 1000 hours.
Flights:
It will be different for us this year. I will be retired shortly after our home in North Wilmington is sold. I have no plane in Delaware, we gave up the hangar at New garden (N57) and now keep 08Romeo in Maryland (KOXB)full time. Maybe we'll use the plane in reverse, flights 'from' the beach to visit family and friends in Delaware instead of weekend beach runs.

Mary and I have discussed more four day get-aways. We are looking forward to Jekyll Island, GA., visiting family in Boston, finally crossing Mackinac Island off our bucket list and a few more hot spots. We have also talked about getting back into animal rescue flights for MAESSR. I have also given some thought to the vacant Beech Aero Club Mid-Atlantic Regional Director position...more on this later.

Aircraft Upgrades:
Still on the list is Replacing the Collins Audio panel with a PMA800B panel. Replace the Century I autopilot with an STEC capable of shooting approaches and tracking course.

After this past weeks flight I will say I still enjoy hand flying. I'm thinking that if wx gets that bad, like it did Tuesday, I'll divert and sit it out. Everyone keeps telling me don't put 15K into the plane, buy something faster with an autopilot. I admit I did say a few times in those heavy rains and winds I would have liked to run my diversion numbers and have the autopilot keep us on course and level providing less of a stress and work load.

Attachments

• trips%2B2014.JPG
    trips%2B2014.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Good luck on accomplishing the goals on your list.

You did well Gary. I didn't hit 100 hrs this year, but had several longish XC flights across Texas and one to California.

As for 08R, it's a great plane ... but I've always imagined you'd be in something MUCH faster (think - Bellanca Super Viking given your experience doing hands on annuals).

I'm debating keeping the Tiger myself right now. I love my plane and flight plan 130 knots and it does exactly that for most trips. Most of my flying is now solo ... an RV-7/7A would be nice if I could find a really nice built one. Speed is important in my area as the scenery doesn't change for about 3 hours in any direction (all brown and mountains).

A note to everyone else: Just saw my first sub $4 av-gas pricing on 100LL.com for KGYI $3.85 and KWSI $3.80. Unfortunately that is across the state from me. I'd love to see av-gas return to that level for a few years:yes:

It's December 4th. still 27 more days to go......

why are you cutting yourself short. you should be out flying

Back