2014 Headsets

jcepiano

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jcepiano
Now that I'm done with my training and moving on as a newly minted PP, I obviously want to throw more $ in the trash. My apologies for those who are annoyed about yet another headset thread, but many of them are quite a bit older and I'm seeking up-to-date information.

I've done all of my training on the David Clark H10-13.4 which was great but now I'm looking to be a big boy and protect my ears (I'm a musician by profession). Obviously I'm confronted by the three main contenders:

- Bose A20
- Lightspeed Zulu or PFX
- Clarity Aloft

Between the Bose offering monthly payments, the Lightspeeds offering trade-in's, and Clarity just being cheaper, I feel a little stuck given how comparable these options are and could use some help.

I tried the Bose A20's on today and although I see what people are saying about the headband feeling a little rough, I found them pretty comfortable compared to my head-vice DC's. I haven't had a chance to try the other two I mentioned but I'm sure most of you that currently own one of these have tried the others.

If it helps, I'm flying a Cessna 172/R or SP generally and don't really intend to move up into anything bigger yet. Flights are generally a couple of hours and for recreation.

Thanks!

If my headset broke today I would pickup a zulu 2 off ebay.

For me, protecting my hearing is really important. So I got the Bose a20. If I had to buy another set, I would look really hard at the Lightspeed PFX. I keep hearing how quiet they are.

Demo the lightspeeds, clarity, and bose and see which one is more comfortable to you. Hearing protection is probably pretty close on all of the top models. Pick the most comfortable.

+1 :yes:

I got a pair of the new Lightspeed PFX when my 2s broke. Can't say I would spend the money again. I prefer the Lightspeed 2s for the money and quality.

The whole "mapping the ear" thing is a market bunch of poppycock.

Last edited:
I have an old set of DRE's ANR and they work well. Only issue has been with the cord tearing. Great service also.

I got a pair of the new Lightspeed PFX when my 2s broke. Can't say I would spend the money again. I prefer the Lightspeed 2s for the money and quality.

I'd have to agree with this. I like the A20's as well.

I have the same David Clark's you have. Just bought AKG AV100's. They blow anything away out there. Light, Bluetooth, led lights, nose canceling and the sound is amazing. Highly recommend. I have used the Bose A20's and I think the AKG AV100's are better.

If i could get any new headset, it would be a pair of Bose A20's

I am looking myself and I was told that lightspeed is announcing a promotion on December 5th. I will most likely pick up Zulu ' s then.

I love love love my A20s. I have a hard time advising someone to drop that much money on a headset... but, I love mine. I also tried a friend's Zulu-2s, and those were excellent as well; if my A-20s died and someone gave me the Lightspeeds instead, I'd be happy with them.

I love love love my A20s. I have a hard time advising someone to drop that much money on a headset... but, I love mine. I also tried a friend's Zulu-2s, and those were excellent as well; if my A-20s died and someone gave me the Lightspeeds instead, I'd be happy with them.

If your A20's died, would you spend the money to get them back or would you switch to the Zulu's?

If you are considering the Clarity's then do yourself a favor and at QT Halo's to that list. They are about half the price, IIRC and they are awesome. I used a set of Zulu 2's throughout my PPL training and once I was done and carrying passengers (ie; my wife) I needed a 2nd headset and for the price decided to go with the Halo's. One of the best flying investments I've made. Perfect amount of NR (they aren't ANR but if you wear the buds right - it's just as good), comfortable - you forget you have a headset on...I've tried to crawl out of the pilot seat several times and about yanked them off my head forgetting they were on, the best mic in a headset I've ever used...period. Oh, did I mention comfortable? :) They don't do bluetooth so that may be a deal killer for some but you could always add one of the BT adapters later on if you need it (and total cost would probably still be less than a set of Clarity's). As for ANR, I actually prefer the Halo's because they don't suppress so much of the low end like ANR sets do. I feel like I can really hear exactly as much of the engine as I need to during all phases of flight.

Anyway, good luck - can't really go wrong with anything on your list - but you could buy 2 pair of Halo's for just about anything else you have on there.

If your A20's died, would you spend the money to get them back or would you switch to the Zulu's?

Hmm, tough call, especially since the Zulu's are pretty pricey themselves... but they are also very good, and honestly I might go with them, truth be told.

+1 :yes:

Of course if my headset which is a zulu 1 broke today in reality I would just ship it to lightspeed who would fix it for free in no time at all because they know what customer service is.

QT Halos. You owe it to yourself to try them since it's risk free. You'll save a bundle, too.

QT Halos. You owe it to yourself to try them since it's risk free. You'll save a bundle, too.

The company is owned and operated by a Ph.D. Audiologist, who is also a pilot. He sometimes answers the phone, even after hours.

I love my Halos, and have flown 4+ hours at a time with them! and still forget they are there. It comes with two size silicone tips which I like, and several pairs of disposable foam tips. A tremendous improvement over my student headset, which I wore for two additional years. No more headaches! Life is great.

ANY protection beats no protection. I've used Lightspeeds for 16 years. Will probably be using them for many more.

That

Heck, I'm running the Zulu 1s, and am still very happy with them, 5ish years and thousands of hours later.

+1. I recently purchased a pair after reading all the positive reviews here and they are by far the single best purchase I have made in aviation. They are absolutely phenomenal if you don't mind "plugs" in your ears. No risk to try them either!

I have the same David Clark's you have. Just bought AKG AV100's. They blow anything away out there. Light, Bluetooth, led lights, nose canceling and the sound is amazing. Highly recommend. I have used the Bose A20's and I think the AKG AV100's are better.
There's a vid on Youtube from Mypilotstore on these. They really do blow the Bose away on features. Bose enjoys name recognition, but the AKG's look to be a superior product. Competition is a good thing.

headsetsinc.com

Don't have to go broke for good hearing protection.

I have used the same headset for the last 11 years.

I have converted two pairs of DCs to ANR with the Headsets, Inc. Kit; if you have any skills at electronics at all, this is a great value. The ANR works as well,as , or perhaps better than, any other ANR I've used (including Bose). Funny thing, when using ANR, the DCs no long feel like head clamps. Love 'em.

They also will perform the conversion for you, if you like. Call, nice folks.

QT Halo's

I have a set of these, too, and they're great. My wife will use nothing else.

Of course, the Zulus rock, and (like Jesse said), their service is the stuff of legends. As best I can tell, their warranty (regardless of what they write on the warranty card) is "as long as you use them."

Have been using QT Halos for 3 years. Love them. (Have only used DC's otherwise, so no experience with ANR.)

I live in a hot environment, and really like that I don't have earcups and headbands that make me sweat. Lack of weight and clamping force, and compatibility with hats and glasses are also bonuses.

There's a vid on Youtube from Mypilotstore on these. They really do blow the Bose away on features. Bose enjoys name recognition, but the AKG's look to be a superior product. Competition is a good thing.

I am telling you they are really great. My instructor who uses the Bose A20's went out and bought the AKG after trying mine for a flight. He love how they pair up to his phone automatically and play music without having to use a cable like the Bose. I was a little unsure about buying them at first but I am so glad I did. This is the first pair of headsets they made for aviation but if this what they did at first shot. I can't imagine what they will do in the future. Highly recommend to try for 30 days free.

I would say try them. I know for certain Bose has a 30 day money back guarentee. Fairly certain Lightspeed does too. So if can take the initial brunt of 2 or 3 headset purchases do it.
For what it's worth, I have a pair of A20's and love them! They don't clamp my head but have enough that they don't slide around. ANR is really good, mic quality is great. I love the Bluetooth to make phone calls, I took my sis up and let her use my A20's while I used the cheap student headset, she loved calling people as we flew over their house and they said they couldn't even tell she was in the plane lol. I have not had the chance to listen to music, but I don't have an issue with having to use an AUX cable like some people might.
Just my $0.02

I love the Bluetooth to make phone calls, I took my sis up and let her use my A20's while I used the cheap student headset, she loved calling people as we flew over their house and they said they couldn't even tell she was in the plane lol. I have not had the chance to listen to music, but I don't have an issue with having to use an AUX cable like some people might.
Just my $0.02
My buddy has Zulus and I'm amazed when he calls me from his plane and I cannot hear any background noise. BT & ANR are a great combo.

Any folks out there that had Zulu 2's and switched to the Bose A20?

I've been interested in trying out the in-ear headsets, but does anyone have feedback on how these perform when you're going up or coming down, and trying to equalize your ears?

I've been interested in trying out the in-ear headsets, but does anyone have feedback on how these perform when you're going up or coming down, and trying to equalize your ears?

I haven't had any issues whatsoever with mine while ascending or descending.

I haven't had any issues whatsoever with mine while ascending or descending.

No issues here either. Not a problem.

I've got the Clarity Alofts, but really considering trying the Halos for my wife.

I cruise often at 9-10,000 and have no problems with my Halos. I know others who fly up to 12,000 with Halos and they have never mentioned anything.

I climb at Vy and usually descend at 500-600 fpm, but have practiced emergency descents at > 1500 fpm and have not had any issues.

I have QT Halos as my "traveling" headset, which I keep in my portable flight bag flying in other folks airplanes. It packs small, it has a small footprint on your head, which is handy if you're tall flying in a tight cabin. I like them, but generally prefer the Bose headsets when given a choice. Also, it's not really a headset you can share, so if you need guest headsets, in-ear headsets like the Halo are not ideal.

In my 182 I use a bluetooth A20 for myself and Bose Xs for my passengers. All of my Bose X headsets have been picked up used for under $500 each. Personally, I think the best deal in ANR headsets right now is a used Bose X. Pick up new ear cups and mic muffs for $25 and you basically have a new headset. That would be my recommendation. Some of the later Xs may even still be under warranty.

Any folks out there that had Zulu 2's and switched to the Bose A20?

One of my CFIs sold his A20s and bought some Zulu 2's. He didn't like how big the battery part was and the cable started to frey quite a bit. He sent them back and got another set of A20s.

Back