2013 Gastons Pics and Videos

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
I can't get even one SLR photo to upload right now, but I wanted to start this thread for those of you who are home already. I'm on wifi in an American Airlines 737 right now and won't land SFO until after midnight.

I am still amazed at the distance, expense, and hassle you went thru for this. That's dedication.

Bruce said at brunch it was a four hundred dollar brunch. I said it was a twelve hundred dollar brunch for me. Oh well, you only live once.

I flew:

A King Air

A Cessna 195

A Cessna 182

All in less than 48 hours. Totally worth it.

Note: the 182 was a flight club plane. Once everyone's Gastons ended, my day had just begun. I learned about radar and weather in a King Air and then got driven to a 182 which landed (thanks Mike) at a tiny grass strip in the middle of nowhere (with nobody around). It was quite a day. Ended with Tex Mex / BBQ (first and last meal in Texas).

I flew the 182 back to base / almost final leg at Denton and almost saw the Bo (Spike's) and even Tango Whiskey, his wife, and dogs came to Denton to see the 182 off. Wow.

Thursday: drop off dog at dog sitter.

Friday: up at 4am for early flight out of SFO to Dallas.

Dallas pick up Mike waiting for me. Drove straight to Addison. Dave waiting for us. Straight onto King Air. Met Spike and Tommy. 5 of us including pilot flew to Gastons from Addison via IFR flight plan. Perfect weather though.

Landed Gastons. Said hello and checked in. Later met up and got a van. Drove many POAers to town for an ATM run, grocery run, liquor store run, and Pizza pickup. Drove them all back to Gastons. Constant mockery of my driving of course (girl driver).

Pizza served and beer etc. in Jesse's extra large cabin. Dinner and drinks went late into the night.

Sleep (but not much).

Saturday: Woke to the sounds of propellers. People either leaving or going for rides etc.

Saw a tractor shortly after. All from my bedroom window. What a sight.

I'm not a morning person. Finally make it over to the flight area. Danielle's cookies I had stolen from the night before (and Becca's) were my breakfast.

Took many pictures half way down the runway, away from the group. Made "bold pilot" and "old pilot" iced brownies. The group ate them.

Said hi to Dave who saw I was handing out brownies. He was leaving. He said "wanna come with us"? and I said "sit around in lawn chairs or "play" in a King Air??? Yes I want to go with you."

Left unexpectedly not knowing when I would get back. Didn't get to visit with Tim.

King air flew straight to Mountain Home (Baxter County) for fuel. We got lunch inside the FBO. Dave said that David White and Greg B. would be flying after lunch.

Dave let David White fly from right seat with 3 take offs and 3 landings. All were good, the third landing most especially. I think I was more excited than David White. I took tons of photos, Cloud Ahoy, and video.

Back at FBO and David White leaves front to let Greg B fly. Again three takeoffs and landings. Smiles all around.

Dave heads back towards Gastons but not before having Greg demonstrate (via my aviation duck) a parabolic maneuver. I will post video later.

As long as the Duck floats......

Then Greg leaves the right seat and Becca gets to fly. Ailerons, rudder pedals, everything. She loves it and Dave S is a very good coach.

Dave wants Becca to let me sit up front for a Gaston's approach (after showing Becca a low pass at Gaston's which is way cool).

I sit up front and watch as the plane lands on grass. Another perfect landing from Dave S and none of us feel a thing.

Deplane and head back to the group. Dale and others are there and I get to meet them (Wayne, Dale, and more).

No sooner had we landed than Greg is preflighting the tail dragger and asking if I want to come with.

Um yeah. Duh.

Greg shows me the preflight, runup, etc. and shortly after takeoff lets me fly. It is different but he remind me to fly like I fly the Cessna back home.

Greg runs out of bravery on final after I do a Gastons approach!!! Very neat.

Greg lands and says he is going back up again. He takes another pilot, maybe two or more other times as well.

So I go back to my cottage and change, dinner is still unknown. We watch David White land the Cherokee six and Dale tells me to score his landing with the pre made landing cards. I do. This is disputed by the pilot since there were geese on the runway and therefore he had to land long. His lovely girlfriend writes a plus two to my score on the scoreboard.

Dinner still uncertain, someone makes very late reservations at the restaurant. Having an hour to kill, most of us head back to Jesse's again. The girls (all of them) are dressed up for dinner. Dresses and skirts. Fancy.

After dinner, most again head to Jesse's. I stay up until at least two with Steve and Jesse discussing aviation. Steve is great!

Off to bed only to wake up to the sound of Steve leaving. Brunch at 10:45 (reservation).

To be continued . . . (we're landing the 737)

Bruce said at brunch it was a four hundred dollar brunch. I said it was a twelve hundred dollar brunch for me. Oh well, you only live once.

I flew:
A King Air
A Cessna 195
A Cessna 182

All in less than 48 hours. Totally worth it.

When you fall in love with flying, you do stuff like this. I have never known an old guy on his deathbed to say, well, I flew too much, spent too much, shoulda stayed on the ground more...

You will remember this trip forever, and it will set the standard by which all your future adventures will be judged.

At some point you need to fly Alaska. <g>.

When you fall in love with flying, you do stuff like this. I have never known an old guy on his deathbed to say, well, I flew too much, spent too much, shoulda stayed on the ground more...

You will remember this trip forever, and it will set the standard by which all your future adventures will be judged.

At some point you need to fly Alaska. <g>.

Well sometimes you wish you were on the ground. I personally haven't been in that situation yet. As my IA friends like to remind me:

There is nothing more useless than the runway behind you, the altitude above you, or the fuel on the ground. Or something like that.

Note: the 182 was a flight club plane. Once everyone's Gastons ended, my day had just begun. I learned about radar and weather in a King Air and then got driven to a 182 which landed (thanks Mike) at a tiny grass strip in the middle of nowhere (with nobody around). It was quite a day. Ended with Tex Mex / BBQ (first and last meal in Texas).

Neither Walt was there? Too bad...

"last meal in Texas"?! You're never coming back!?!

I flew the 182 back to base / almost final leg at Denton and almost saw the Bo (Spike's) and even Tango Whiskey, his wife, and dogs came to Denton to see the 182 off. Wow.

Was Spike flying at Denton? Teresa and I (and Raff and Finn) enjoyed our visit!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 993001_4694181241221_972024902_n.jpg
    993001_4694181241221_972024902_n.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 504
Not I - I had to work!

You missed one Bo (the V35 in the hanger next to 55WB )

Neither Walt was there? Too bad...
We looked for Walt M & Walt L, but no joy. There is some new construction starting on the other side of the trees. I think Walt M's adding a pavillion or something with a roof so inclement weather won't spoil any gatherings.

We also took at a look at the crispy golf cart and the fire damage to the storage container that Walt M. posted about on the DFW board.

Oh, and Kim was really impressed Walt has a hammock and a porch swing to relax in and watch the planes come and go.

I'll say again, you got some great dogs there, Troy.

BTW; the club does permit animals in the aircraft... Just make sure they are appropriately secured and due dilligence is done to protect the leather interior.

Club meeting is next week. And we have Scott D. doing a remote session on Texas weather. Hope you can attend.

I'll say again, you got some great dogs there, Troy.

BTW; the club does permit animals in the aircraft... Just make sure they are appropriately secured and due dilligence is done to protect the leather interior.

Club meeting is next week. And we have Scott D. doing a remote session on Texas weather. Hope you can attend.

Probably won't, but thanks. The club just can't beat my $75/hour wet/tach rate with no monthly dues on a PA-235!

Troy, those dogs appear to be very dangerous. Are you required to register them with the county? :D

Troy, those dogs appear to be very dangerous. Are you required to register them with the county? :D

Thanks Wayne. Their kisses are lethal. :)

And Lord help any bugs, butterflies or birds that cross their paths (note to self: hmmm, flying things start with 'b'... So Bonanza it is)... Brittany Spaniels are natural bird hunting dogs.

I can't wait to see the photos sounds like it was good time.

I can't wait to see the photos sounds like it was good time.

It was... you need to come along next time!

(PS. you going out to the Rocking-M weekend after next?)

I hunted with Brits for almost 20 years and trained with Delmar Smith who won the national field trials with a Brit when they said it couldn't be done because they don't hunt big enough.

He was one of the first "soft-hands" trainers who treated dogs like he would like to be treated and let them think the training was their idea rather than his. I'd probably still be doing it if all the quail hadn't died.

When the hunt was over they would live in the room with me. They are great pooches.

Thanks Wayne. Their kisses are lethal. :)

And Lord help any bugs, butterflies or birds that cross their paths (note to self: hmmm, flying things start with 'b'... So Bonanza it is)... Brittany Spaniels are natural bird hunting dogs.

How to download full size photos of you or your plane:

1. Click on the photo you like from within the set

2. Click on the three dots you see underneath the photo

3. Select "view all sizes" from the menu there.

4. A page will come up with many links at the top.

5. Select "Original Size" from the links at the top.

6. A large image will display. Click on the link that says "download original size image."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iflylik...7634060135751/

That's only the SLR photos. I'll have the cell phone photos and videos in the next few days.

Kimberly

Geez, Kimberly. You don't have one single picture of the best looking airplane on the field in that group.

:mad:

:D

A summary:

The planes (sorry I did not get all of you but when I review my cell phone pics you might be in there):

9014258550_0a31d5375f.jpg

9013065115_89d31565f7.jpg

9013055101_a5f23ed80f.jpg

9014229692_8a35c1e1e5.jpg

9014219678_160aa49697.jpg

9014088998_e07eab1e42.jpg

9014071202_985ecc27c9.jpg

9014066298_11b6eb92ac.jpg

NOTE: NOT TECHNICALLY AT GASTONS, BUT PART OF MY GASTONS VACATION AND A MEMORY FOR ME, PLUS I TOTALLY GOT TO FLY THIS 182 BACK TO ITS HANGAR FROM A TINY GRASS STRIP, FROM WHEN WE WERE ON COURSE / AT ALTITUDE, ALL THE WAY TO BASE / FINAL TURN THEN THE PILOT TOOK OVER:

9013961314_fc97ff20b2.jpg

Geez, Kimberly. You don't have one single picture of the best looking airplane on the field in that group.

Greg, this was just my SLR photos. I'm sure I have your plane once I get to my cell phone photos. It took a while to get those 200 pics down to 75 and now I need to work on getting to work etc. Don't worry, your time will come!

Looks to me like she took a couple of pictures of the best looking airplane on the field.

The people (Again - sorry I did not get all of you but when I review my cell phone pics you might be in there)

9013021041_1c35523e30.jpg

This one has me in it, the line guy took the picture for us, Greg and everyone - well - they are all laughing because I'm telling a funny joke.

9014192144_ed944ef104_z.jpg

9012947521_704fb298e6.jpg

9013907900_a3cc541edb.jpg

9014145230_bcca8143b7.jpg

9014040438_2798b01dcd.jpg

9014035644_6bf3383383.jpg

AGAIN, NOT TECHNICALLY AT GASTONS, BUT PART OF THE GASTONS VACATION AND MEMORIES FOR ME:

9012711889_f8610d969c.jpg

Mike was at Gastons (and my roommate) but this was Mike at the tiny grass strip Taylor airport in his 182 in Texas:

9013956536_1a69517d0a.jpg

David's third (and best) full landing at Mountain Home (Baxter County).

First time flying a King Air, but David is of course Multi rated.

You can hear either Dave S. or David White saying "we down" after the landing touch down point and you can hear me saying "wow". It is hard to see the runway, so just watch the reflection of the sky and clouds inside the sun visor on the left to see David flare at just the right moment.

Enjoy:

PS - that reverse noise at the end is my favorite part (how they slow the plane down once it is on the runway instead of brakes / in addition to brakes).

A summary:

The planes (sorry I did not get all of you but when I review my cell phone pics you might be in there):

9014258550_0a31d5375f.jpg

Nice composition of John's Cardinal.

NOTE: NOT TECHNICALLY AT GASTONS, BUT PART OF MY GASTONS VACATION AND A MEMORY FOR ME, PLUS I TOTALLY GOT TO FLY THIS 182 BACK TO ITS HANGAR FROM A TINY GRASS STRIP, FROM WHEN WE WERE ON COURSE / AT ALTITUDE, ALL THE WAY TO BASE / FINAL TURN THEN THE PILOT TOOK OVER:

What did I do to get relegated to third person? :confused:

Ziglar's "grinnin' like a guy who just went through a revolving door on somebody else's push" immediately comes to mind.

Back