2012 Oshkosh H.O.P.S. Party -- Wed, July 25th

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Okay, boys and girls -- Oshkosh is just 12 weeks away, so here's the first announcement of our annual HOPS Party. Mark it on your calendar!

First off, before anyone asks, "HOPS" stands for "Homebuilding, Owning, Piloting, and Student" -- the four main piloting newsgroups from back in the old Usenet days. Yes, that's how long we've been throwing this party -- jeez, we're getting old! :lol:

(The party began back in the 1990s as a way for everyone off the newsgroups to see/meet/greet the people they had spent so much time with on-line. With the demise of Usenet, and the migration of pilots to other on-line groups, the party continues as a way for people from P of A, AOPA, Cherokee Chat, and other groups to do the same thing.)

Here's how it works: On Wednesday, after the airshow, we all gather at our campsite** in the North 40 aircraft campground to celebrate another great year of flying, and to put faces with names.

"Admission" to the party is a 6-pack of your favorite micro-brewed beer from back home -- wherever home may be. This is placed into a common cooler so that everyone can enjoy the best beers from all across America.

Each beer is subject to the same harsh rating system that every pilot's landings are at OSH -- the crowd can be tough. Extra points are usually awarded if you can't see through the beer, but a good, crisp, light wheat beer is always appreciated, too.

Food is provided (ask an early HOPS party attendee what used to happen before we started serving food -- it wasn't always pretty! :yikes:) at the site, and the party lasts until the last person leaves, the beer is gone, or the Wisconsin mosquitoes descend upon us -- whichever comes first.

It's a very low-key, open-house style thing, and a helluva lot of fun. This will be our 30th consecutive Oshkosh fly-in (knock on wood), and I hope you can make it!
--
Jay & Mary

** How does one find a campsite in the North 40? Since OSH arrivals are "first come, first served", there is no way to "reserve" a camping spot -- which makes finding someone's site a chore.

Thankfully, in recent years EAA has computerized the process, making things MUCH easier. Just stop at the EAA campground building (at the entrance to the North 40), and give them our tail number: N56993. With this they will be able to vector you directly to our site -- no GPS required. :D

Remember that the campground building is run by volunteers, and often closes early -- so don't bank on being able stop there "on the way" to the party. Checking before the airshow starts ensures success!

Jay and Mary- this sounds like fun! I'm hopeful that I can make OSH, I've never been. And if I can, I'll definitely be there (with a local 6 pack), thanks!

Jay and Mary- this sounds like fun! I'm hopeful that I can make OSH, I've never been. And if I can, I'll definitely be there (with a local 6 pack), thanks!

Oshkosh is a little piece of heaven, Tracey -- and don't let anyone scare you away from flying into Wittman Field. The FISK Approach to Oshkosh is simplicity itself!

We'll see you there!

This is a fun get-together... definitely do not miss if you are going to OSH this JULY! But Jay... you forgot some of the "fringe" benefits associated with attending the party!

1. Margaritas! (for those who for whatever reason... don't drink beer.) :confused:

2. Door prizes... if you get there early enough, there you probably won't leave empty-handed.

3. Charge your phone/iPad/iPod while you party! (And if you have ever spent any time camping at OSH, this is a wonderful perk. One less hike to the nearest shower house Wednesday night! :D

I wish I was doing Airventure this year. :sad:

Sounds like fun but we may be a little weight limited to bring a six from home so its it totally against the rules to pick on up there?

Well, guess that means I am staying Wednesday too :) don't know how late I'll be able to stay, as I'll be hitting the road again early the next morning, but I'll make it a point to add your HOPS Party to my OSH 12 bucket list :)

Sounds like fun but we may be a little weight limited to bring a six from home so its it totally against the rules to pick on up there?

Dang. You can't carry an extra 5 pounds? You need a Pathfinder! :lol:

(If you have to go to the OSH Pick N Save, do me a favor and pick up a 6-pack of Sprecher Amber. It's made in Greenfield, WI, and is my favorite amber lager in the whole, wide world. It's unavailable here in Texas... :( )

Well, guess that means I am staying Wednesday too :) don't know how late I'll be able to stay, as I'll be hitting the road again early the next morning, but I'll make it a point to add your HOPS Party to my OSH 12 bucket list :)

Sounds great, Rob!

Got any good lagers in PA?

This is a fun get-together... definitely do not miss if you are going to OSH this JULY! But Jay... you forgot some of the "fringe" benefits associated with attending the party!

1. Margaritas! (for those who for whatever reason... don't drink beer.) :confused:

2. Door prizes... if you get there early enough, there you probably won't leave empty-handed.

3. Charge your phone/iPad/iPod while you party! (And if you have ever spent any time camping at OSH, this is a wonderful perk. One less hike to the nearest shower house Wednesday night! :D

I wish I was doing Airventure this year. :sad:

Shhhh! You'll spoil the surprise! :D

Last year was our first year with a blender, and the margaritas were to die for.

And I nearly did... :rolleyes: Bad Jay! :wink2:

As for door prizes, we MIGHT be able to get Amelia's Landing Hotel to donate a few items... :cheers:

Dang. You can't carry an extra 5 pounds? You need a Pathfinder! :lol:

(If you have to go to the OSH Pick N Save, do me a favor and pick up a 6-pack of Sprecher Amber. It's made in Greenfield, WI, and is my favorite amber lager in the whole, wide world. It's unavailable here in Texas... :( )

Three big guys in an Archer, what can I say:dunno:
Sounds great, Rob!

Got lots of them! Yeungling, I was gonna bring a PA IPA we have some fantastic ones here.

Sounds great, Rob!

I'm sure there are, but I don't drink. Any chance I could get "in" with a 6 pack of Sprite/Pepsi/Coke/Tea or other soft drink? I'll pick up something on my last fuel stop coming to OSH on my motorcycle when I raid a convience store.

Don't worry about bringing your offering in the plane. Ship that 24 pack of IC Light to 9D9 and I'll bring it for you.:rofl:

I'm sure there are, but I don't drink. Any chance I could get "in" with a 6 pack of Sprite/Pepsi/Coke/Tea or other soft drink? I'll pick up something on my last fuel stop coming to OSH on my motorcycle when I raid a convience store.

Um, hmmm. In all these years, you may just be the first tea-totaler to attend? :lol:

Sure, some diet soda is always a welcome addition to the post-party cooler... I would say you could be the designated driver, but unless Montblack steals an EAA golf cart (again) ain't nobody gonna be driving... :)

Don't worry about bringing your offering in the plane. Ship that 24 pack of IC Light to 9D9 and I'll bring it for you.:rofl:

Beware: We peed in the gas tank of the last guy who tried to put a beverage called "light" into the beer cooler... :lol:

If you travel to Oshkosh and miss Jay's party, you'll have missed the best part of the experience.

Jay,
If I can talk to the wife into letting me take time off without her, I would love come to the party. As it is, we will be there from the 22-24. What day are you coming in? I'll bring a whole case of Sprecher.

No ol' muzzleloader now that Chuck is not around.

Somewhere I have a picture of us trying to pull a wine cork with one of those doggy anchor tie downs.

No ol' muzzleloader now that Chuck is not around.

Somewhere I have a picture of us trying to pull a wine cork with one of those doggy anchor tie downs.

I'm thinking that was the year I showed up later with wine and had to go back to my campsite for a corkscrew.

Jay,
If I can talk to the wife into letting me take time off without her, I would love come to the party. As it is, we will be there from the 22-24. What day are you coming in? I'll bring a whole case of Sprecher.

We're planning to arrive the Saturday before the show. This gives us enough slush to account for weather...we hope!

A whole case of Sprecher Amber! We're not worthy! :lol:

We're planning to arrive the Saturday before the show. This gives us enough slush to account for weather...we hope!

A whole case of Sprecher Amber! We're not worthy! :lol:

It's a long, hot week. I see it as my duty as a good citizen to make sure you are properly hydrated.

It's a long, hot week. I see it as my duty as a good citizen to make sure you are properly hydrated.

Hydrating with Sprecher. Be still, my heart... :lol:

I have GOT to bring a few cases home with me this year. I love Shiner Bock, but, wow, FRESH Sprecher is great stuff.

Hydrating with Sprecher. Be still, my heart... :lol:

I have GOT to bring a few cases home with me this year. I love Shiner Bock, but, wow, FRESH Sprecher is great stuff.

Yah hey, how bout some of dem Leinies or da point, ya?

Haven't got my fix of cheese curds or brats yet this year.

Since moving to Milwaukee and marrying a loca, I have had my fair share of beer, brats, and curds. When I go back to Ohio to visit family, I'm required to bring curds and Spotted Cow. Not a fan of Leinenkugel, though. They make too many flavored, specialty brews. I'm of the opinion that beer is perfect the way it is, and any beer you need to add fruit or make it fruity is not worthy of being drunk.

Local beer store sold Liny's by the case for seven bucks. Kept buying it until they ran out. Good beer.

Won't be bringing any local brews though. Got too much weight as it is.

The pick and save that is a easy walk has a very good selection of beers so not to worry.

Pick and Save is ok. The best beer/liquor selection in the state is at Woodman's. The closest one to Airventure is in Appleton, though. Small hike for beer, but if you are going to stock up on everything for the week, I think it's worth it.

Since moving to Milwaukee and marrying a loca, I have had my fair share of beer, brats, and curds. When I go back to Ohio to visit family, I'm required to bring curds and Spotted Cow. Not a fan of Leinenkugel, though. They make too many flavored, specialty brews. I'm of the opinion that beer is perfect the way it is, and any beer you need to add fruit or make it fruity is not worthy of being drunk.

Ya, it wasn't always that way. Used to be you never saw a Leinie outside of Wisconsin. Now they act like it's some exotic imported beer on the east coast.

Be very careful shopping at Oskhosh. While you can even buy hard liquor at the grocery or Walmart, you can't get anything after 9PM.

First off, before anyone asks, "HOPS" stands for "Homebuilding, Owning, Piloting, and Student" -- the four main piloting newsgroups from back in the old Usenet days. Yes, that's how long we've been throwing this party -- jeez, we're getting old! :lol:

I had a 1st edition "Slips with Flaps" t-shirt...:rolleyes::lol:

The pick and save that is a easy walk has a very good selection of beers so not to worry.

There is no such thing as an "easy walk to Pick N Save" after Day One.

There is NEVER an easy walk BACK from Pick N Save. Unless you steal a cart, of course. :lol:

It's the main reason we keep bikes in our OSH trailer -- with a pull behind kiddie trailer. It carries several cases of beer quite nicely!

I like Point. For the last few years, Leinenkugel always tastes skunky to me.

Dunno if they changed their recipe, of if I've been unlucky in getting beer that's been warm/cold/warm/cold a few too many times, or what? :dunno:

Errr, if you go to Catalina and ask for a "Lenny" you'll get something to smoke, not drink...:rolleyes2::rofl:

Lakefront makes some decent beer. Maybe I'll make the rounds of the local breweries and get a few of each.

I've been to AirVenture for the past 6 years (after a 15-year absence) and the only POA person I've seen is Grant. Part of the reason is that I usually drive back and forth each day, though I've stayed at the UW Oshkosh dorms a couple of times.

I'm going to make it a point to attend, as long as I can find some beer in this teetotaling place called "Milwaukee." :D

Back