Nate, it'd be great to meet you. And no need to book a cabin for a night if you're willing to crash on a couch, floor, or bring an inflatable mattress.

Well... it got even more complex since then. I got a new job. Very happy about the new job, but it's thrown a monkey-wrench into vacations and things.

(Had 4.4 weeks of paid-time-off per year after seven years at the old company, and at the new, everyone has 2 weeks of vacation and 5 sick days... no exceptions.)

So it's all really "up in the air" (pun intended?) right now... just juggling things around to make sure OSH is still on (top priority) and maybe the Instrument Rating (2nd highest priority) and whatever's left will go pretty quick after those two.

Nate, it'd be great to meet you. And no need to book a cabin for a night if you're willing to crash on a couch, floor, or bring an inflatable mattress.

Oof, it got worse. I just noticed Gastons is the same weekend as the ARRL VHF Contest, and I'm committed to helping my dad take his new/used antenna mast van out that weekend to the far Southeastern Colorado area.

No Gastons for me, looks like. Bah humbug. :(

"I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm." --Franklin Delano Roosevelt

So don't be a worm! :nono:

Can't make it ;-(

Too much going on at work as we Beta new products. Just can't commit. Surely next year.

Ernie

We're out. Change of plans.

Y'all have fun!

A couple of different years I used a spare bed in Doctor Bruce and Sue's room. I can't speak for them, but it might be a spare room deal you could pursue. I don't think I am going to be able to make it this year. I wanted to as there were several that didn't get to make the Thunder Ridge flight with me that wanted to. I had a great time giving rides on sat. into that strip.

The last time I tried to make it to Gastons, the weather turned and I was skunked. I called Gastons and told them to rent the room to someone else so I could save my deposit. They said they would, but didn't. Several posters said that they tried to get rooms, but Gastons did not have any. So they stiffed me for the deposit and denied someone the chance for their own room. I WILL NOT BE GOING THIS YEAR.:mad:

What's the latest on who's attending? I can never seem to remember the address of the web site for the trip.
Anyone up for biking?

Best,

Dave

Biking, as in riding a bicycle?

I'd like that, though I am not fit like you, Dave.

www.gastonsflyin.com

Thanks. Seems like a few other folks were thinking of coming that aren't down. Looking forward to seeing all there.

Best,

Dave

Biking, as in riding a bicycle?

I'd like that, though I am not fit like you, Dave.

www.gastonsflyin.com

We don't have to ride hard; can do that separately. The roads are a bit narrow in places, would need to pick somewhere with wider shoulders or more lanes. Last year I rode to the AP and back and there were places car folks weren't very accommodating <g> There are always one or two that have to show you how inconsiderate they can be, but it only takes one.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
*cough* September *cough*

I'd be in the cabin all day if I were there.

The last time I tried to make it to Gastons, the weather turned and I was skunked. I called Gastons and told them to rent the room to someone else so I could save my deposit. They said they would, but didn't. Several posters said that they tried to get rooms, but Gastons did not have any. So they stiffed me for the deposit and denied someone the chance for their own room. I WILL NOT BE GOING THIS YEAR.:mad:

Same here. You can get around Gaston's by getting a motel room in Mountain Home, which I have done, or a cabin at one of the other resorts nearby, but you'll have to rent a car or beg rides.

It's always great to see you. Let me know if anyone wants a ride up Friday.

Best,

Dave

Thanks for the offer, Dave. I don't have anybody that needs a ride this year; one family member can't go til Saturday and is flying into Branson on a regional flight out of Redbird...

Back