Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
Reset the counter, Jesse, the next one starts 6/9/2011.

Last edited:
Can you get the counter to roll the next event to the top of the list?

Just curious.

Can you get the counter to roll the next event to the top of the list?

Just curious.
I can. I usually do it by hand. but I might as well program it to do that on its own. Tonight perhaps.

It will be 6/9/2011 to 6/12/2011.

I would sure like to make it again as I had just a good time. However I need a little time to recover from the hectic long windy time flying back home. I have had several tell me they missed out on the ride into Thunder Ridge with me. I would love to come back and fulfill those wishes. The best ride I gave was to a father with a retarded young son. The others were good but that one was the one that made my day.Spike told me that some of his best friends he met right here ( as he pointed to the green grass landing strip at Gaston's.) I know what he means.

Leah and I probably won't make it. Adam Kite has decided to get married that weekend.

I won't make it because it's in June. I spent most of my time in the room with a headache from the heat the last time.

Dude, he's getting married, like he had a choice on the wedding date. Married guys don't have a say in any weekends. You know that.

true, i'm pretty sure if it was up to him he would've picked sometime in the winter, like any glider pilot would.

Dude, he's getting married, like he had a choice on the wedding date. Married guys don't have a say in any weekends. You know that.

actually in my experience this is not true. i don't think Ed or Kent are really experts on married life.

actually in my experience this is not true. i don't think Ed or Kent are really experts on married life.

I don't have to stick my hand in molten lava to know it's hot.

I would love to get there next year, but I have a question. How is the runway defined? In other words, for those of us with no forward visibility while the tailwheel is down, what will I see in my peripheral vision? Haven't had the chance to do a grass runway yet, but this concerns me. A lot.

Ernie

I would love to get there next year, but I have a question. How is the runway defined? In other words, for those of us with no forward visibility while the tailwheel is down, what will I see in my peripheral vision? Haven't had the chance to do a grass runway yet, but this concerns me. A lot.

Ernie

Trees on the north side, a row of cabins on the south side. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Actually, it isn't that bad. The runway, relatively speaking, is quite wide. If you are lined up in the center, you should have a lot of grass on both sides.

I fly a 195 out of there with no problems. Bottom line is that it isn't a big deal. If you want someone to ride with you the first time, you could always land at Mountain Home and someone would be more than willing to come over and ride with you.

What kind of airplane?

Last edited:
I think I already promised a couple of rides on this board, if I can come I will give as many as I can. Yes, it's a Waco, and the problem is that I need a reference for what seems like a long time on T/O. Turn your head and the airplane is departing in the opposite direction. Look straight ahead and use peripheral vision to steer. On a runway, it is easy to see the edge.

The front cockpit is actually worse. Since it is made for two people, the visibility for one in the middle is really bad. It's funny because the insurance company only required a CFI checkout because I had 500+ TD. But it was all in a Citabria, which has better visibility on the ground than my old turbo Mooney. Even in the back seat of the Citabria there is much better visibility on T/O and landing!!! Landing isn't so bad, I just keep the tail up as long as I can than brake to taxi speed fairly quickly.

Ernie

Thanks, there are enough visual clues on the edges, and it is wide enough.

Ernie
Ernie, here is what it looks like from the back seat of a Citabria. This video co-stars Marc Popejoy in a Cessna 172 and several big white geese. :D

Last edited:
Ernie, here is what it looks like from the back seat of a Citabria. This video co-stars Marc Popejoy in a Cessna 172 and several big white geese. :D

Thanks, that was most helpful. Now, "Good Lord willing, and the creek don't rise" (Oh, and my wife is willing) I'll be there. :fcross:

Ernie

Just got off the phone with Gaston's and made us a reservation for one of the good cabins complete with a kitchen! I thought (very) briefly about one of the even bigger cabins with a kitchen and a fireplace... but from what I recall about Arkansas weather in June... we won't be using that fireplace much. :goofy:Wooo hooo! It's time to look outside at the snow, but be thinking about summer flying fun!

I bet she used a setting of 50F, in order to achieve the nominal 350F.

When I tried setting it at 350F, apparently I got "Roaring Inferno"

Key to that is to take an accurate thermometer and don't trust the setting on the oven.

Nice video Diana! How's the book coming along?
Thanks, Jeanie. :) Book is coming slow but sure...thanks for asking. This time of year it's easier to write since we can't go outside and play. :)

I've been wondering what happened to you. You got quiet for awhile. Still flying that Decathlon?

I bet she used a setting of 50F, in order to achieve the nominal 350F.

When I tried setting it at 350F, apparently I got "Roaring Inferno"

I think that was the setting Kathleen used for her cookies

I think that was the setting Kathleen used for her cookies
n1275540023_30055450_8699.jpg

Don't trust the oven!!

I am looking forward to it! We didn't have a room with a kitchen last year, so this will be our first go at preparing food Gaston's style. Maybe this is how they encourage people to eat at their restaurant! But, I'm bringing along my chef and we'll have a few photos for the scrapbook anyway! Gaston's is apparently full of challenges. The extra bed in the cabin and the floor are already spoken for. Can't hardly wait! :)

I'm supposed to have a Houston transport the weekend before, but I'm seeing if I can delay it one week so I can bring the 310 down. Yes, that means I'll show up with dog cages in the plane. :)

I'll have to decide if I'll take the 310 into Gaston's or Mountain Home. Most likely it will be Mountain Home, at least until I can evaluate the condition of the strip. I'm really careful with that nose gear.

I'm supposed to have a Houston transport the weekend before, but I'm seeing if I can delay it one week so I can bring the 310 down. Yes, that means I'll show up with dog cages in the plane. :)

I'll have to decide if I'll take the 310 into Gaston's or Mountain Home. Most likely it will be Mountain Home, at least until I can evaluate the condition of the strip. I'm really careful with that nose gear.

You never regret conservative planning; odds are, you'll be good to go, but there will always be people with airplanes (like, say, a Bonanza) with stout gear, read to shuttle you over.

Back