2011 in flying

Give or take 200 hours of flying.
IR earned in March of 2011.
Complex endorsement.
Commercial ASEL a few months later.
Spin Sign off.
CFI school scheduled for Jan of 2012.

Only thing that makes me sad about this list is the lack of a tailwheel endorsement.

I was a little short of 100 hours,but I had to park 54N the first of Nov. to take my sick wife to the Portland, OR. area. So my plane is in Vale 300 air miles away. I got to take several nice flights into the Idaho back country this past year. I flew across the Or. state several times also.

I would like to get back to Gastons one more time. I have had several POA pilots tell me they were sorry they missed out on the rides I was giving into Thunder ridge last time I was there. So I would like to make it back and give some of those Sat. rides. I am usually to tired on Friday to do them. Maybe visit the Richards farm if it is still available.:)

I would like to get back to Gastons one more time. I have had several POA pilots tell me they were sorry they missed out on the rides I was giving into Thunder ridge last time I was there.
I'm glad I got one, that was cool! :D

what is wrong with Idaho and Oregon on your map. we have some good flying out here in the west and you need to try it. get your butt out here. You hear! ;)

Bob, I really wish I had! Especially after the end result of my west trip resulted in sitting in a hotel in Winnipeg for 2 days. But, alas, that's how it ended up. You can bet I'll make my way out there, though!

Assisted about 250 of 600 pilots who needed intervention with their medicals. Fired all the insurance plan medical directors and hospital medical directors.

Flew about 200 hours, about 100 instructional. Five signoffs. :)

Bought 1st plane! 182s in Jan
111 hrs, total 247
Got married...hope she doesn't see the order of this list
Got serious about that IR, disappointed didn't finish before 2012
Finally became comfortable using the kln89b for approaches
KNEW to KPUJ - longest flight yet
Loved every minute in the air

2012--Things to do
#1-IR!!
#2- make sure #1gets done
#3- fly wife to Bahamas

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone!!

Somewhere over 150 hours this year. Several new areas including New York.
The P Barron has been a wonderful, capable plane to fly.
Flew with a friend to Las Vegas to the ABS convention.
Took my nieces to South Carolina to the beach this summer to meet my Daughter's family and GDs
Picked up my GDs and Daughter in SC and flew them to Dallas and back for a visit.
Got the B-25 SIC rating the end of last year (oops, I looked and it was the end of '09.
ABS Aviator this year for additional training: SIMCOM and new rating.
Looks like I'll get some time in a friend's King Air this year. Just got insurance approval.
Flying to Manassas and back Wednesday to link up with some folks.

Have a lot to be thankful for.
Hope all have a wonderful holiday.

Best,

Dave

Assisted about 250 of 600 pilots who needed intervention with their medicals. Fired all the insurance plan medical directors and hospital medical directors.

And gave wonderful medical advise to others that are deeply grateful.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday, Doc!

Best,

Dave

A good flying year.

Five long trips: C-172 to San Diego to visit family (1,610 NM round trip); to Lodi CA for folk music concerts (930 NM round trip); a week-long business/pleasure round-robin to Carson City, Las Vegas, Phoenix and San Francisco (2,105 NM round trip); and two Idaho camping trips in the Sport Cub. Also lots of fun flying in the local area.

And I survived two annuals, a medical and a BFR. :)

And counseled and encouraged countless more, many whom you will never meet.

Thank you.

:)

+1. Bruce is truely a prince among men.

Practically no flying this year(4.7), 2 of which was a BFR.
Still working, 14 annuals this year, 1 owner assisted fire wall forward engine change, 3 EXP conditional inspections and 2 major repairs.
Plus a re-assembly of the 24 and a Warner over haul.

Last edited:
I went from paying to fly to getting paid to fly. Added a new category of aircraft to my certificate, which I fly all the time. Can't beat flying around the country at 30 knots. Roughly 425 hours by the time the year is over. Flew in over 25 states this year.

Hopefully next year, I can get very close to ATP minimum's. I guess it might be time to think about buying some form of study guide for the written. Would also like to do some more helicopter training, maybe think about doing the private rating.

I'll finish with ~20 hours this year. That's about what I had last year.

Goal for 2012: IR

John

I finally made it! 500 hours total time. Actually, 501.7, 2.9 in helicopter. More hours next year.

2011 was a very lean year for me, and when I did find work, it usually seemed to occur on those perfect soaring days. :(

So not much flying at all, I'm sorry to say.

Just shy of 3 hours total... wouldn't be so bad if that was one flight, but it represents about 8 flights.

2012 is looking better for me already, but I have a feeling the problem, when it comes to flying, will be time, not money. :rolleyes:

Assuming a surplus of both, my goal is to do my commercial glider add-on... I'm going to focus on that as soon as the season begins.

Little over 80 hours this year. Had a maintenance gremlin to chase in the 170 or I would have had more. Flew in Nevada, Utah, California and of course Alaska. Got a lot of Arrow II time too (bleah) but kept having to put off the commercial checkride, drat it. That being said I may use a Navion L17 for the checkride in January. That will be interesting.

With the move to Michigan planned for April who knows what will happen? May sell the 170 and start multiple threads here on what to purchase instead ;) You know: "Cessna 210 or 421, which is better for grass strips?" Or, "Is a Twin Seabee a good IFR platform?" :)

Last edited:
I flew every time I wanted to fly this year, went where I wanted to go, and didn't fly any time or anywhere that I didn't. Everything else is just details. Really enjoyed helping Doc and also getting a good workout from Allen.

Man, cannot ask for much better than that...

I'm projected to hit 658 for 2011, add in the 150 or so "fun" hours and I'll be at ~800 for the year..

Even if you have to suffer with getting paid for flying, still sounds like a good year to me.

So, what all do you fly?

2011 in Review

Hours: 105, Total flight hours 649
Ratings: Nothing new this year :(
Airports: N71, KSEG, KPTB, KLKU, KPVG, KPOU, K22, KJWN, KROA, KITH
States: Nothing new this year :(
Rescues: Donna & Zippie, Sadie, Jackson, Angel & Polo (almost a mission fail).
Fun Flights: Nashville, TN for a Labor day get-away - Ithaca, NY for the Beech Aero Club Festival - Nags Head, NC our favorite get-away.
First Time Flyers: Just one this year.

2011trips.jpg

Last edited:
I flew every time I wanted to fly this year, went where I wanted to go, and didn't fly any time or anywhere that I didn't. Everything else is just details.
I have kinda the same feeling about a summary. Thought about making a photo summary of this past year. I'm more into measuring with number of smiles rather than number of miles (or hours).

What I did NOT get to do is fly with Wabbado. :sad:

Unfortunately, I realize this will be the most hours I will ever fly in one year. Flew about 108 hours so far, and had to cancel BOTH my scheduled / planned in advance "Golden Gate Bridge Bay Tour" flights with out of towners, one pilot from the East Coast, and one of my uncles from the Los Angeles area (yesterday) - and both times we were physically at the airport looking up at the place getting "socked in" when everyone else was VFR.

Learned a lot of valuable lessons about patience and how to remind passengers / non passengers who ask about our "schedule" that we don't know until we know.

Also flew solo for the very first time as a PPL last week (I don't count my flight back from the DPE since that day I was still a student in my mind). It showed me how distracting passengers can be, even if they are pilots, and realy humbled me as to how much I can work on to maintain good flight. On the flip side, I caught myself doing "bad" things since there was nobody watching to impress. This is not good.

I may fly with my father for the first time on Friday but weather looks bad. He doesn't talk about the Air Force ever but he used to fly C-130's when he was in his twenties. That will be my "most important" flight and biggest aviation moment if it happens.

Kimberly

I got married, got my instrument rating, and got my PhD, all within a month of each other (the instrument checkride was two days before my defense). And I moved from Connecticut to California (drove I40 from end to end). I'm really looking forward to a year with fewer accomplishments.

Another California pilot! Where in California are you?

After logging .6 tonight to finish the checkout in the club's DA-40 and re-up my night currency, I will close out the year with 78.4 hours.

Highlights:
  • Finished private pilot in June
  • Took the wife on 2 XC's, and her first night flight.
  • Started IFR training
  • C182 and DA-40 checkout

It was a great first year of flying.

* Started and finished Private Pilot training (Feb - Aug)
* 110 total hours logged (70 PIC)
* Flew my dad for the first time
* Flew DA20, DA40, Warrior, 172
* Tangier Holly Run
* DC - Nantucket Trip
* Perfect safety record

Next year's goals
* Start/Finish IFR training
* Start flying club 182RG (I need 100hrs PIC and 10hrs type training)
* Go to first AirVenture
* Fly into a class B
* Fly in the Caribbean
* Get at least one friend to start taking flying lessons

Flew 57 hours until Sept 10th when the nose gear of my arrow failed to "lock" or became unlocked somewhere in the pattern, and "this" happened... Plane is still under repair, but I finally got the engine back from the rebuild last week, so hopefully by the end of Jan, I'll be up again. Goals for 2012 is to complete my IR and install a GNS 430 in the panel, fly to TX a few more times, and attend OSH.
picture.php

Flew 57 hours until Sept 10th when the nose gear of my arrow failed to "lock" or became unlocked somewhere in the pattern, and "this" happened... Plane is still under repair, but I finally got the engine back from the rebuild last week, so hopefully by the end of Jan, I'll be up again. Goals for 2012 is to complete my IR and install a GNS 430 in the panel, fly to TX a few more times, and attend OSH.
picture.php

You haven't been flying with Tony, have you? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2011: Started and finished PPL, ~70 hours.
2012: spin training, tailwheel / HP / complex endorsements, start IR as time/money allow.

ouch. for the record i haven't ever met KS Arrow Pilot, that i know recall.

Well, with the TAF showing OVC007 for much of tomorrow, and the planes being unavailable on new year's eve, I guess my year's about done. A bit over 81 hours for the year, including another trip down to the Bahamas. I was hoping for my commercial this year, but it didn't quite work out that way. My written is good until the end of January, so I'm still hopeful! I've got about 680 hours total time now.

24hrs logged from June after a 10 year hiatus. Due to strenuous work hours, I'm only able to fly once or twice a month. Would like to start my IR but I think I'm going to wait until I can free up more time. Finally got my wife to take her first flight with me :) so I gave her an awesome scenic flight over the Hudson River via the Skyline Route at 1500 & 2000 ft in the Class B. La Guadia & Newark towers are very helpful anytime I request it.

Passing the Verrazano Bridge, Newark handed me off to JFK and they decended me down to 500 ft to follow the beaches along the south shore of Long Island. Awesome! At that altitude, my wife started pointing out the beach that we visit every summer and she also spotted her old High School in Far Rockaway, Queens! She enjoyed the flight but she said she felt just a little stomach upset upon landing which was due to the S-Turns that the tower asked me to do on final :)

I was number two to land and they wanted to get a plane up before we landed. Hearing that, I slowed my approach as much as practical early but the tower still asked me to do S-turns. I did about 3 shallow turns before they cleared me to land but I guess that was just enough to do the trick.

All in all, she enjoyed it and said she would fly again...UNTIL.>>>The unfortunate TBM-700 crash out of KTEB(which is only 30 miles from us) a week later!!! RIP.

Wife is now very nervous and I really don't think she will ever fly with me again :( I said to my friends and co-workers,.....Damn, this had to happen a week after I finally convinced my wife to fly! Such is life I guess.

Oh well, at least we shared one flight together and have a few pictures for the memories :)

Last edited:
Got in another hour in the 182 this afternoon. First flying since September. Too much business travel and lousy weather. Sure felt good to get back up. Didn't feel anywhere near as rusty as I expected. A few trips around the pattern, departed to the south to see the gun club from the air, then back for a few more trips around the pattern before putting it away. 1.0 hours, 6 landings and the year is done.

Happy New Year to you all!

My CFII called at 1330 this afternoon. We both agreed that with the weather being consistently lower than forecast all morning, there was a significant chance of being stranded at PTK or LAN and having to call friends for rides, something neither of us wanted to do on New Year's Eve. So 2011 is over for me flying-wise: 107.8 hours in all, most of it test flights and dinner runs, only 9.8 under the hood and no actual. Also no IR yet, and in the pattern we're in now wx-wise, it isn't likely to happen next week, which means it won't happen (realistically) until May at least.

Most memorable flight: my first (and so far only) Pilots n Paws run, a miniature dachshund named Pieper who I flew from PTK to BVI in early March, where another pilot picked her up to take her the rest of the way to eastern PA. I've another PnP run I'd like to do the first flyable day next week, but the details are still fuzzy since the original planned day (tomorrow) is already a clear no-go, and one of the pilots will not be available until next weekend. PnP is a wonderful use for the PP-ASEL and I hope to do more of it in the coming year.

I ended the year with 239.7 hours, most of which was part 135 in the Aerostar. My own poor Twinkie sat lonely in her hangar while I kept flying the mistress. I hope she isn't the jealous type. Didn't seem to upset her when I flew her today. Although she does have a flat spot on her wheel and my partner said the pilot's seat broke later today. Signs of irritability?

In 2011, I:
-became a commercial pilot
-became a CFI
-became a CFII
-Flew 373 hours
-Gave 264 hours of instruction
-Endorsed two pilots for instrument checkrides, they passed.
-Soloed one private pilot student
-Performed 9 flight reviews
-Performed 7 instrument proficiency checks
-Gave 3 HP/complex signoffs
-Logged 30 hours in a 182 dropping skydivers

Not a bad year, I suppose...

I didn't fly as much as I wanted due to weather/travel but-

-I did fly some
-All the planes I flew were immediately reusable when I returned them
-I stayed out of the news
-I didn't need to talk to the NTSB or the FSDO
-I met some really nice PoA people this year

Except for the last one, my bar is pretty low :)

Back