2010 Review - 2011 Goals

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
It's time for my annual year in review and a look forward to some new goals for 2011.

2010 Goals
Schedule and pass the IR check ride!!!! DONE
Break the 500 flight hours mark (I'll need 125) DONE
Enjoy the new plane and not $pend on new toys this first year...this is not going to be easy. I panel mounted the Garmin 496, added wx and traffic to the cockpit, installed a nano blind encoder and purchased a new plane cover.
Take some long trips and enjoy the new ride with my Bride! DONE....but never enough trips

2010 in Review
Hours: 169.4 Total flight hours 543
Ratings: Instrument checkride passed!!! August 19, 2010
Airports (new): KFCI, 9N3, KVVS, KMGY, 40I, KEDE, KACY, KOFP, KMFV
States (new): Ohio
Aircraft: I got to fly a Stearman!! Thanks Steve!
Medical: Hip doing great, now I need to shed some pounds.
Flights: Dayton Ohio trip with Rob to visit Steve and a chance to fly a Stearman. Mary and I did our first dog rescue flight for the Mid-Atlantic English Springer Spaniel Rescue (MAESSR) to Hanover, VA.
Notes: I did get the M1 Loran out and the garmin 496 installed this year, it makes flying so much safer having wx, traffic and a GPS back up.

2011 Goals
Hours: At least 150 hours and I hope to make total time of 700 hours
Ratings: Commercial and add a tailwheel endorsement
Airports: As many as possible. I would like to visit Jeff out in Champaign, IL (KCMI). I would love to finally land on grass too.
States: As many as possible.
Flights: Mary and I want to fly to the Florida Keys, and a visit to my brother and sister-in-laws new home in Jupiter Florida. Mackinac Island is very high on the list along with a weekend get-away back to Niagra Falls. Nashville is still high on the list too. So many places, so little time.
Aircraft Upgrades: Get the autopilot fixed! During this years annual Cecil Aero pulled the roll servo and Penn Avionics agreed to bench test it, it was working fine. By having the servo checked while the floor was opened up saved many $$$.

:cheerswine: HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!! :cheerswine:

Last edited:
Happy New Year! :) It sounds like it is going to be a great one!! But, don't put KMCI into your new Garmin when you want to visit Jeff because you will end up in Kansas City. KCMI will work much better... and I will see you at Gaston's in June?? I have it on good information that there is a grass runway there just waiting for you!

Happy New Year! :) It sounds like it is going to be a great one!! But, don't put KMCI into your new Garmin when you want to visit Jeff because you will end up in Kansas City. KCMI will work much better... and I will see you at Gaston's in June?? I have it on good information that there is a grass runway there just waiting for you!

:crazy: thanks.....fixed that. I hope to make Gastons at some point, every year it seems to be something.

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year...This is a fun post, so I will sign on:

2010:

New Plane (well new-old plane) with the 180 HP Conversion.
Managed a total electrical failure/found a great mechanic due to that event.
Survived my first annual with a couple of pennies left in my pocket got to spend alot of time working in and on the plane.
Finished the Instrument Written/Got plenty of hours logged in the book for the checkride.
Flew a bunch of ARF missions and helped rescue over a couple dozen dogs and cats.
Flew just about 150 hours in 2010!

2011:

Instrument X-C thats been cancelled 3 times due to Northeast WX then go for the checkride.
Class three medical at the end of January.
Get to at least some of the POA events in the northeast this year.
Fly to FFA to make the pilgrimage.
Qualify for Angel Flights (or a like organization) in addition to the ARF missions.

2010 was full of new things for me. We welcomed our third daughter, Madison, on January 29th and she has been such a blessing. My flight time has been reduced, but I still managed to get 49.2 hrs in this year. Those 49.2 have been very productive though and not just burning holes in the sky.

March I took Ally (my now 6 yr old) on her longest flight with the Quakertown Pilots Association from KLOM-UKT-WBW-LOM for breakfast. Lots of fun that day.

My flight review was due by end of June, so at the end of April I began working on the Tailwheel endorsement in a Citabria based at Wings. What a BLAST! I mixed flying the Citabria with the Cessna, and completed the Tailwheel endorsement at the end of May, and on Memorial Day I finished the flight review in the Cessna with an intense hour under the hood and a quality ground review. Then, back into the Citabria for some SPIN training! YIPPEEE!!

That set me up to June to start instrument training. Just dabbling into it and getting the BAI completed with some introductory approaches. Gary and I rescheduled the Ohio trip due to weather, and finally made it out there in July. That would be my longest XC flight to date, KILG-VVS-KMGY. We met Steve and his Fiance, Gina, and had the opportunity to log PIC time in the J3 Piper Cub and a PT17 Stearman! SWEET.

Back at Wings for more instrument training, then off to Windwood with the POA group, flying again with Gary and taking my daughter Ally, since I opted out of my agreement in the '67 Cessna when they decided they would be putting it up for sale,.... still hasn't though. :dunno:

Lastly, I took an intro flight in a SR-20 Cirrus,... very nice, and a very capable XC machine, but not for my wallet right now.

Edit: My GC Map is attached, 2400+ miles, as I didn't include the 17 flights of local training in this distance. Pretty cool! :cool2:

Goals for 2011:
Enjoy building Tailwheel time and hopefully get to take it to some grass strips in the area.
Continue picking away at the Instrument, take the Written.

See my link below for my blog with lots of photos and stories.

Happy 2011!!

Attachments

• GCMap2010.gif
    GCMap2010.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Buy gas, not gadgets...

This is likely the last year or two where a flying trip will still be relatively affordable for the average renter/owner... Car gas will go up another buck in the short term (12 months) and two bucks in the longer term (24 - 30 months)... Avgas will rise by a factor of 150% of what ever change occurs in mogas...
With avgas 6 bucks at many airports you can figure $7.50 in the short term and and 9 bucks in the longer term...
(it is currently just under 5 bucks at my local field and he says his current cost is $4.29 to refill the tank - this week and rising - and he has to have at least a buck to cover his expenses so the price will rise on the next fill up for his tank)

I expect many FBO to go to renting the airplane with the tanks full and YOU have to pay separately for the fill up when you return; just to keep the sticker shock of the hourly rental price on the sign at the front counter from turning customers around...

10 years ago there were 14 rental planes on my field... 3 years ago there were 8 rental planes on my field... Today there is 1 plane... The next nearest airports have no planes for rent today and no mechanic left on those fields...

denny-o

Let's see...

2010:

- Flew 500 hours, almost all for Cloud Nine (1100 hours total)
- Flew coast-to-coast in one day
- Flew to Canada (repeatedly)
- Flew over the Gulf to Mexico (repeatedly)
- Got my MEI
- Grew Cloud Nine, acquired a second twin for the mission

2011:

- Fly a bunch more!
- Do some more personal trips rather than all the work trips (I did virtually 0 personal flying in 2010)
- Go back to Canada
- Go back to Mexico
- Maybe get that CP-Rotorcraft-IA rating
- Keep on growing Cloud Nine, and fly the 310 more (I sure do love that plane - oh yeah, it's going to need new engines soon)

Happy New Year!

Ted,

I didn't know you got at 310? Wow, that's a real hot rod!

Sky King buddy. That's what I'm going to start calling you. :cheerswine:

In 2010 I finally got to go to Gastons! I also added two countries which I never thought I would add, at least at this job, Russia and Japan.

Here's a cool site which I shamelessly stole from another web board where you can enter in all your legs and it will draw a map. Just enter the airports separated by dashes. It can take a while if you have flown many legs.

For example...

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=kapa-ksfo

Here is my map which looks like the big dipper.

Great%20Circle%20Mapper%202010.jpg

I haven't thought about 2011 yet. Wait... it's 2011 now.

Fly as much as I could
Total Hours for the year 22.4 FAIL
Buy into a plane FAIL
Start a flying club with POAers FAIL
Make it to Windwood Wx FAIL
Make it to 6y9er again Accomplished
Take off from 6Y9er with A2 in the Trinnie without hitting trees Accomplished ........Just
Fly a Dog flight with Ted FAIL
Throw a successful FlyBQ Accomplished

2011 GOALS

Fly More Duh like perhaps twice what flew last year.
Make it to Windwood again
Have another successful FlyBQ
Pretty much everything else I didn't do in 2010

- Passed Commercial checkride
- Broke 1000 hrs total time
- 129 hrs for the year; 35.5 hrs T-34, 13.4 hrs C-172, 68.3 hrs C-182, 12 hrs PA-28-181

Goals for 2011
- Tailwheel endorsement in J-3 cub
- More CAP flying
- Fly to a few more states

Goal for 2011 is the same as for 2010. Get my IR. This year it will happen. Probably in the next month or two, weather permitting.

133 hours 1487 total time. Working on the ATP
Initial part 135 IFR checkout in Aerostar.
Restarted flying for on demand charter service company.
Got new autopilot installed in the Twinkie.
Got new goodies in the panel for Twinkie.

Get the ATP.
Fly more, work less. HAHAHAHAHA
Talk my wife into using Twinkie to visit daughter in SOCAL.
(between the cost and the butt sores, that won't be easy:fcross:)

Looked up last year's goal thread and the 2009 review thread to find my 2010 goals:

2010 goals:
* Get a job that's not driving a truck, and/or go back to school. 23 credits left to an Electrical Engineering degree. Done! Went back to school in August.
* Fly more. Done! 127.3 hours this year. Not quite as much as I'd like, but definitely better than 2009's 47.4.
* Get CFI rating to help me fly more if I go back to school. Fail. Soon, though... Soon.
* Finish the tailwheel if I don't get it done in 2009. Done! Finished the tailwheel in May, flew the Citabria to Gaston's in June, and made it up to 34.5 hours total tailwheel time.
* Sell the Archer and get a DA40 bought for the club at KMSN. Done! Sold the Archer in May, and picked up the new Diamond Star on October 1st. :goofy:
* Try to get ever closer to buying my own airplane. Hmmm. This one's kind of undefined. I guess going back to school kind of gets me closer, maybe, while at the same time making me temporarily farther away.

My totals for 2010:
127.3 total
124.2 PIC
124.3 ASEL, 2.1 AMEL, 0.9 ASES
3.8 instrument, 1.3 actual
New types: Hawker 800 - Also my first 1.3 of jet time. :D

Goals for 2011:
* Get my CFI-A rating done.
* Maybe even II by the end of the year.
* Find a Twinkie to get some time in.
* Get a ride in a Swift.

Last edited:
I have no idea what it looks like, but oh my it's a bunch of places.
I think it looks like a warped shuttlecock. So much for the Rorschach test.

That's pretty impressive considering you did it in your own airplane and you have another full time job!

2010 has brought great changes to my life and 2011 shall continue that. I've discovered that I'm very poor at predicting what I'll do over a year so I'm not even going to try for 2011.

I think it looks like a warped shuttlecock. So much for the Rorschach test.

Not knowing what either of those are, I'll take your word on it!

That's pretty impressive considering you did it in your own airplane and you have another full time job!

Tell me about it! There are a few lines in there that are artificial because I flew some places that I took a commercial flight to (such as when I flew with Joe Areeda in Los Angeles), but for the most part, that's all me. I estimated that I flew about 85,000-90,000 statute miles in 2010, and I'd say that's probably right when you figure that all those lines are direct, and for many of the trips I made there was some sort of reroute. Logging an average of just under 10 hours a week with a full time job is pretty tiring, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

2010 has brought great changes to my life and 2011 shall continue that. I've discovered that I'm very poor at predicting what I'll do over a year so I'm not even going to try for 2011.

Very true my friend but keep in mind that Goals are very different from predictions. I love the saying Goals are Dreams you do something about.

2010- got my IR
2011- use my new IR

I don't usually state new year goals. This time I will.

Pass my medical.
Complete Instrument rating.
Lose 30-40 lb.

Complete AGI.
Lose 25-30 lb.

Lose 20-30 lb.
Return to Oklahoma.
Renew my vows of love to Hubby wearing my original wedding dress.
Babysit grandchildren, knit, grow flowers and fruits, teach youngsters to value themselves.
Fly to California.

Ditto. Although, I can predict with certainty that in a few weeks I will not be lying in the sand on the beach soaking up the FL sun but rather lying in the snow in PA making snow angels.

Ditto. Although, I can predict with certainty that in a few weeks I will not be lying in the sand on the beach soaking up the FL sun but rather lying in the snow in PA making snow angels.

Time to put the snow on order. ;)

I squeaked out a whopping 26hrs in 2010. Man, that is disappointing considering I had the airplane 20mins from home for half of the year.

I'm currently 8.2hrs away from hitting 600TT, which isn't too bad, but less than where I hoped to be 10 years after getting my certificate.

BFR and medical are due this year. I'm also in need of an IPC. I wouldn't mind finishing up the Commercial and start working on CFI this year as part of my "reduce quantity of hobbies and increase quality of experiences" goal for this year. Heck, I might even screw around and get multi done somewhere in the PA region. ;)

I don't remember what my predictions were, but 2010 was a crazy ride. All I can say is..I survived.

2010 in Review
Hours: 169.4

Gary,

Glad to hear you're getting lots of good use out of your bird! Not nearly enough airplane owners do - There are WAY too many planes (and pilots) out there who are flying 10 hours a year. :frown2: Keep up the pace! :yes::thumbsup:

BFR and medical are due this year. I'm also in need of an IPC. I wouldn't mind finishing up the Commercial and start working on CFI this year as part of my "reduce quantity of hobbies and increase quality of experiences" goal for this year. Heck, I might even screw around and get multi done somewhere in the PA region. ;)

If you did that we'd be able to take care of your flight review, IPC, and multi rating. ;)

2010 -
finished my first logbook 5.5yrs from first flight
flew only (for me) 107hrs, hitting 850tt
added ME to my list of states flown to
tailwheel endorsement in a TopCub at Andover Flight Academy

2011 -
aerobatic/unusual attitude training
150hrs flown
Add another 2 states to my list
lose 6.5 gallons of avgas
fly a Stearman

Back