2010 POKER RUN IS A GO!!

Re: No poker run?

Noooooo! Who else thinks Troy needs to stop by for at least a day?

Stay tuned, Felix; the game may occur...

Any suggestions for game changes? Should we keep the same airports and format, or change things?

One thing I WILL be asking for... the fuel discount to apply through MONDAY.

So, what airports are the usual stops for the poker run?? This will be my first Gaston's fly-in. Looking forward to doing it all over the weekend! :)

Stay tuned, Felix; the game may occur...

Any suggestions for game changes? Should we keep the same airports and format, or change things?

One thing I WILL be asking for... the fuel discount to apply through MONDAY.
Excellent!!

Personally, I liked the airports and the format. Maybe we should start a "ride-share" thread for those that don't have a plane....

Hey Troy, looks like you'll need to rent the breath-alizer again this year.

Excellent!!

Personally, I liked the airports and the format. Maybe we should start a "ride-share" thread for those that don't have a plane....

Last edited:
I've REMOVED the airport list from the 2010 rules. It will likely NOT be the same airports as last year (at least not entirely), to help us get out and see some new places.... stay tuned.

Folks, airports for this year's poker run are now in the official rules!

There are six airports participating; there is a suggested "short route" for those that just want to pick up two cards (the minimum required to participate in the game), and a longer five-airport run (for those that want to maximize the experience and odds of winning).

Cards are only available on FRIDAY JUNE 11th and SATURDAY JUNE 12th this year--not all week long as in previous years.

Also, another twist... read the rules carefully. Each envelope at outlying airports will contain TWO cards. At game time, when you open all your cards, for each airport you visited you'll select ONE of those two--before the FLOP!--to make up your final hand.

Let the games begin!

Please sound off on this thread if you are planning to participate, and if you have a seat available to take a game-playing passenger with you--I've heard from several already that would like to play but don't have wings!

Well... I'm happy that I made that investment in a current Memphis sectional after all! :D My card shark husband and I are in it to win it. We'll be flying the longer route on Saturday! :D

I'd like a ride on the longer route if somebody's got an open seat on Saturday! PM me if you have room, please!

I'd like a ride on the longer route if somebody's got an open seat on Saturday! PM me if you have room, please!

I'd love to, but a 115hp Citabria is unlikely to lift both of us. :D

I do, however, have room available for a smaller person to go with me.

I'd love to, but a 115hp Citabria is unlikely to lift both of us. :D

I do, however, have room available for a smaller person to go with me.

Ooooohhhh.... :mad: If I didn't want to fly the run myself so much, I'd go with you!!! Wooo hooo... Barrell rolls! :yesnod: :D

It appears the NoTAM for HBZ has been revised

!JBR 06/052 HBZ AD CLSD WEF 1006071300-1006112200

It appears the NoTAM for HBZ has been revised

!JBR 06/052 HBZ AD CLSD WEF 1006071300-1006112200

Cool, thanks Steve. I'll call them on the 10th and see what it's looking like, and post back here Thursday with the actual status. He told me the notam was from the 7th - 11th, but would likely be lifted on the 10th with work completion.

If it IS still closed on Saturday, I'll have a backup deck of cards at Gastons for folks to draw from, to replace the HBZ set.

I have yet to see an airport project finish early. :frown3:

Cool, thanks Steve. I'll call them on the 10th and see what it's looking like, and post back here Thursday with the actual status. He told me the notam was from the 7th - 11th, but would likely be lifted on the 10th with work completion.

If it IS still closed on Saturday, I'll have a backup deck of cards at Gastons for folks to draw from, to replace the HBZ set.

A question on the rules regarding having a judge play your hand as a proxy (4a in the rules). How can the player turn in at least two and not more than 5 cards and still have them remain sealed until playing time if there are two cards per envelope? If it is meant that the player will hand the judge at least two and not more than five envelopes, then it seems that it will be up to the judge to determine which cards to discard from the envelope. Though they could open them together and then reseal the selected cards in a new envelope. Just looking for clarification here.

Also, the list of participating outlying airports in rule (2) should be updated to reflect: KBPK KBVX KBHZ 2A2 7M2.

Oh, I already have one passenger/copilot. Depending on W&B, we may be able to take one additional (small) person.

A question on the rules regarding having a judge play your hand as a proxy (4a in the rules). How can the player turn in at least two and not more than 5 cards and still have them remain sealed until playing time if there are two cards per envelope? If it is meant that the player will hand the judge at least two and not more than five envelopes, then it seems that it will be up to the judge to determine which cards to discard from the envelope. Though they could open them together and then reseal the selected cards in a new envelope. Just looking for clarification here.

Great question! When a player presents their envelopes, as in years past, the judges will ensure only one envelope from each airport is presented, then the cards will be opened, recorded on the judge's sheet, and laid in front of the player. Let's say you went to the five airports in the suggested routing; we'd lay out your opened cards on the table thusly:

[ROW][CELL] KBPK [/CELL][CELL] KBVX [/CELL][CELL] KBHZ [/CELL][CELL] 2A2 [/CELL][CELL] 7M2 [/CELL][/ROW]
[ROW][CELL]2D[/CELL][CELL]JS[/CELL][CELL]3H[/CELL][CELL]4C[/CELL][CELL]9S[/CELL][/ROW]
[ROW][CELL]AH[/CELL][CELL]AD[/CELL][CELL]KS[/CELL][CELL]7H[/CELL][CELL]QH[/CELL][/ROW]
Looking at these, BEFORE WE DO THE FLOP, you'll pick ONE of the two from each airport to keep in your final "to play hand".

For example, you might pick as follows, in bold; the judges would record your choices, you'd take your selected cards, and we'd discard your unselected cards.

[ROW][CELL] KBPK [/CELL][CELL] KBVX [/CELL][CELL] KBHZ [/CELL][CELL] 2A2 [/CELL][CELL] 7M2 [/CELL][/ROW]
[ROW][CELL] 2D [/CELL][CELL]JS[/CELL][CELL] 3H [/CELL][CELL] 4C [/CELL][CELL]9S[/CELL][/ROW]
[ROW][CELL]AH[/CELL][CELL] AD [/CELL][CELL]KS[/CELL][CELL]7H[/CELL][CELL] QH [/CELL][/ROW]
Some people might choose to keep the two aces and the king; perhaps you feel the 2-3-4 combo gives you the best shot at a straight. It's YOUR CHOICE. You'll only know if you chose wisely when the flop comes!

Also, the list of participating outlying airports in rule (2) should be updated to reflect: KBPK KBVX KBHZ 2A2 7M2.

You are now the official proofreader of the Poker Run documents!! Correction made, and also added the sixth airport (KHRO). Players may fly to any FIVE of the SIX airports.

Oh, I already have one passenger/copilot. Depending on W&B, we may be able to take one additional (small) person.

I only weigh 124! Can I go?

(that's kg... I'm doing metric!)

Troy, maybe you may have missed the point of the question, or I'm looking for more explicit coverage than you're providing. I'm looking at the case where the player elects to take advantage of the clause I've edited below. I've edited it as I think you intend. Please change to suit your true intent!
However, if any player cannot attend (prior obligations, must fly out before dark, etc.), they may find any judge identified below on Saturday, pay their entry fee, and turn in their outlying-airport card envelopes (at least two envelopes, no more than five envelopes) for play. Judges will write the player's name on the outside of their envelopes, and play the cards as a proxy for the absent participant. The player's cards will remain sealed for play in front of all players by the judges. The judge to whom the player entrusted the envelopes shall make the card selection per (4)(c).

Troy, maybe you may have missed the point of the question, or I'm looking for more explicit coverage than you're providing. I'm looking at the case where the player elects to take advantage of the clause I've edited below. I've edited it as I think you intend. Please change to suit your true intent!

You are correct; in the event a player plays by PROXY (isn't in attendance at game time), the judges will choose their playing hand for them, making what they deem, in their collective judgment, to be the best cards to play during the flop.

To make the rules clearer, I've added your fine and excellent edits.

Last edited:
You are correct; in the event a player plays by PROXY (isn't in attendance at game time), the judges will choose their playing hand for them, making what they deem, in their collective judgment, to be the best cards to play during the flop.

To make the rules clearer, I've added your fine and excellent edits.
Now, let's see if I can perform this same magic with the FAA! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I called just now: the airport is still closed. They are making good progress, and think they'll be finished and reopen the airport Friday afternoon. They fully expect to be open Saturday, just be sure to check NOTAMS before going--they said they'd remove the NOTAM as soon as work is complete.

If you can't get into HBZ, you can either go to Harrison for that 5th envelope, OR anybody that has picked up FOUR outlying envelopes can get a FIFTH set from me at game time Saturday IF HBZ is still closed on Saturday. I've got a 7th deck all prepped and sealed and will be bringing it with me.

Still hoping to find a ride for the run!! Or, alternatively, can I ask somebody to draw a set of five for me as they visit the airports? You want my losing money in the game!

Troy, Felix and I will be making the run together in my Bo. There should be room if you want... :)

Still hoping to find a ride for the run!! Or, alternatively, can I ask somebody to draw a set of five for me as they visit the airports? You want my losing money in the game!
I think I ran the calculation, and I can take someone who is 40# less than the FAA standard human and be legal to land, depending on how much fuel we burn flying down. If we stop at Lambert's for lunch on Thursday, we'll be trading fuel for pilot weight! :)

I can confirm that five of the six airports (KHRO, KBPK, 7M2, 2A2 and KBVX) have received the cards and are ready for pilots Friday and Saturday. See the Poker Run rules, at the end of the document, for specific airport details, where to find the cards, contact names, etc.

The one holdout is KHBZ: it is still closed, the seal coat is wet yet. They still think they'll be open for those going on SATURDAY, but check NOTAMS. (Could just be me, but the gentleman at KHBZ seemed less-than-thrilled to participate, if you DO go there, let me know if it's less than friendly... if it is, we'll leave it off future runs. It can be hard to interpret people over the phone, so I'll reserve opinion until field reports are received).

As stated in previous posts, if you can't get cards from KHBZ, but get them from the OTHER four airports on the 5-envelope-run, you'll be able to receive an additional 5th set from me at game time Saturday.

GAME ON!

Last edited:
Those of you that won certificates from Scott D's AvWxWorkshops.com, please don't forget to send them in! He's only received 5 of them... they have a firm expiration date. I've redeemed mine and am enjoying the various webinars he has on the site!

Those of you that won certificates from Scott D's AvWxWorkshops.com, please don't forget to send them in! He's only received 5 of them... they have a firm expiration date. I've redeemed mine and am enjoying the various webinars he has on the site!
Me too! :)

Back