2008 Gastie Award Winners

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
Preliminary results are trickling in from the various review and compilation committees tasked with reviewing and compiling results and rather than wait for the final review, compilation, computation, tabulation, validation, folding, spindling, and mutilating, we’re taking the low hanging chad and projecting the preliminary winners at this year’s 2008 Gaston’s Fly-In.

Current standings:

Foreign Native Humanitarian Award

Dave Taylor – For conspicuous valor in support of the Fixing of Felix’s Fuel pump which went on the Fritz on the Fly-in Friday. Dave unselfishly offered to retrieve (and delivered on that offer) the vital component from the nearest Beechpart distributor 170 nm away that very same afternoon. Flying his Super “Baby Blue” Viking against tremendous headwinds in both directions the critical part was obtained and installed with minimal delay. Felix learned the ins and outs of Fuel boost pump installation while at Gaston’s and what a lesson it was.

Best Supporting Character in a Dramatic Role

Spike Cutler – For infusing his Texas charm and magnetic personality in support of all the major activities of the fly-in, including the Fuel Pump Fiasco, Ride Hopper Marathon, Movie Night(s), and the Mountain Home Pax Shuttle. All attending aircraft now need their compasses re-swung.

Highest Body Count

Dave Taylor – For conspicuous participation in the offering of airplane rides during the fly-in. Specific numbers are still in under analysis.

Thudderbird Award

Dave Taylor – Sometimes your worst landing isn’t the one with a big audience. (sorry Dave) J

Most Dramatic Arrival

NAME WITHHELD TO AVOID LITIGATION

Most Circuitous Route

Brook – For flying to California to fly to Arkansas

Most Arduous Effort to Attend (Team Award)

Gil Velez-Domenech and Jason Herman – 11+ hrs in a C172SP – in one day!

Slowest Groundspeed Enroute (Team Award)

Kim and Phil Pardon – 36kts in a Cessna 305D (L-19)

Slowest Fly-by (Team Award)

Chip Gibbons & Tony Condon – 26kts, Aviat Husky (verification pending)

Most Drooled on Airplane

Chip Gibbons – Aviat Husky, it’s droolalicious!

Most Authentic Engine-Out Demonstration

Dr. Bruce Chien – Piper Seneca. Wow, the stopped propeller even looked real!

Best Air-Conditioned Twin

Dave Siciliano – BE58P Baron

Best Use of an Aircraft for a Non-Aviation Activity

Ed Guthrie – for Flying from PA to go Fly-fishing in AR

Most Curvaceous Helmsman

Kaye Clark – for steering the boat while Ed Gutherie attempted fishicide.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Throw-down Champion

Kim Pardon – Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Supreme Cookie Concotion (Editor’s note: There was considerable controversy in this category. Store-bought entrants were summarily thrown out on principle. Some submitters whined about faulty equipment. Actually, two participants tied, but due to a technicality, i.e. the cookies were not actually baked on site such that their authenticity as home baked could be validated, the competitor from IOWA was disqualified.

Most Numerous Aircraft Model on the Field at Any One Time*

1st Place - Mooney M201/M20

Runner-up – Beech BE55/58 Baron

(Both known for their affinity for grass strips)

Most Ridden Tail-dragger

Greg Bockelman – Cessna 190

Most Inverted Tail-dragger

Diana Richards – American Champion Citabria

Most Unexpected Tail-dragger

Paul Bjornstad – Howard DGA-15

Tastiest Grilled Foods (Team Award)

Bill Jennings, Brent Johnson, Mike Andrews – Brats, Dogs, Burgers and various other Road Kill

Best Attempt at Burning Down NW Arkansas (Team Award)

Bill Jennings, Brent Johnson, Ross Fischer

Most Corrupting Influence of Young Minds

Troy Whistman – Aerial Poker Run

Least Influence on an Aircraft’s Weight & Balance

Tristan Vannocker – for obvious reasons

Best Excuse for Not Attending

Nick Brennan – no explanation needed

Most Inconsiderate Aircraft Parking Job

Pilot or Pilots Unknown who left a Helicopter in front of the Fuel Pump Unattended

Results subject to change without notice, reason, or provocation.

Further announcements may appear ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Chip and I actually got the Husky down to 16 knots at one point.

I do believe that at one point Kim put her cookies in MY cookie container. I believe she was just trying to confuse everyone into thinking that my cookies were in fact hers :D

And Kim - How much does it cost to buy off the cookie judges? or at least, can a CFI afford it??

Preliminary results are trickling in from the various review and compilation committees tasked with reviewing and compiling results and rather than wait for the final review, compilation, computation, tabulation, validation, folding, spindling, and mutilating, we’re taking the low hanging chad and projecting the preliminary winners at this year’s 2008 Gaston’s Fly-In.

oh and steve, i believe theres a state law in mississippi that limits the number of syllables in a sentence. and you are waaaay over!

oh and steve, i believe theres a state law in mississippi that limits the number of syllables in a sentence. and you are waaaay over!

I think that's in all of the south, not just Mississippi :D.

*ducks*

I get the impression there's a good story here!

yep. you shouldve been there.

Coolest Landing

Definitely goes to Jeff Wright for his Friday evening arrival. Fog had just started to come in off the river and as he came into the flare, the wingtip vortices picked up some fog and it looked just like a picture. except that no one was taking any pictures! AND his rollout was shorter than most of the singles.

Best Dam tour guide

Felix

Said "Damn" most on the radio

Toss up but the word is that the FCC has their Blackhawk on standby for next June

There sure is. That was a funny one looking back on it.

Said "Damn" most on the radio

Toss up but the word is that the FCC has their Blackhawk on standby for next June

Haha, nice. Felix keyed up this morning, calling for "Gaston's Picnic Table, Bonanza Zero One November." I responded back with something, Felix explained that he thought he left his camera there and I went looking for five minutes. Couldn't find it. "Hey Felix, I can't find it anywhere down here, which table did'ya leave it at?"....he responded with, "Oh, I really just wanted to say Gaston's Picnic Table on the radio, but thank you." Classic.

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely amazing. One of those images that gets imprinted in your memory.

yep. you shouldve been there.

Coolest Landing

Definitely goes to Jeff Wright for his Friday evening arrival. Fog had just started to come in off the river and as he came into the flare, the wingtip vortices picked up some fog and it looked just like a picture. except that no one was taking any pictures! AND his rollout was shorter than most of the singles.

There sure is. That was a funny one looking back on it.

So is anyone gonna tell me the story, or just keep me regretting not coming? :goofy:

Haha, nice. Felix keyed up this morning, calling for "Gaston's Picnic Table, Bonanza Zero One November." I responded back with something, Felix explained that he thought he left his camera there and I went looking for five minutes. Couldn't find it. "Hey Felix, I can't find it anywhere down here, which table did'ya leave it at?"....he responded with, "Oh, I really just wanted to say Gaston's Picnic Table on the radio, but thank you." Classic.

That's awesome, I can definitely see that!! :rofl:

So is anyone gonna tell me the story, or just keep me regretting not coming? :goofy:

Let's just say that I haven't seen that many pilots move that fast since...well, I haven't ever seen that many pilots move that fast.

Sorry, attorney-client privilege...

Best Use of Weekend After Trip to Gaston's Cancelled

Ted DuPuis

Why? I bought (and picked up) this:

fb4b_12.JPG

Yes, I just want to get credited for best at something. :D

Too bad I didn't get it a week earlier, or I would have ridden it down. :(

Yeah. It involved the tail of MY airplane, among others. LOL

I had just gotten up from a nap. Saw all the commotion and decided my help wasn't needed. Strange thing is, my sleep induced fog kept me from really caring what happened.

Okay... enough of this... would someone be so kind as to fill those of us who weren't so fortunate as to come to Gaston's in on what happened? If you don't want to post publicly, that's fine, please PM it to me in that instance (but then post here that you PM'd me so I don't get 15 PM's of the same thing).

Okay... enough of this... would someone be so kind as to fill those of us who weren't so fortunate as to come to Gaston's in on what happened? If you don't want to post publicly, that's fine, please PM it to me in that instance (but then post here that you PM'd me so I don't get 15 PM's of the same thing).
They won't do that. It is like they are the cool kids and know something we don't. They do it to make us jealous. Which we are ;) :D

Personally I think I should have gotten an award for the most cookies consumed. BTW they were all great. That said, I almost never met a cookie I couldn't eat.

They won't do that. It is like they are the cool kids and know something we don't. They do it to make us jealous. Which we are ;) :D
It's probably because they don't want to embarrass those people involved.

Here is a picture I took with my iPhone from a distance. You could see the flames from where I was standing (before I took this picture). The airplanes got pushed out of the way in a timely manner. ;) Dave Taylor should get an award for this one...oh, maybe he already did.

Attachments

• Fire.jpg
    Fire.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 89
The whole fire fiasco didn't start out with the standard Arkansas - "Hey ya'll, watch this.." line, did it!?

(Redneck's famous last words: "Hold my beer and watch this.")

Cutest guy (it was also his birthday)

Attachments

• Cutest guy 40.JPG
    Cutest guy 40.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 67
Most Public Nap (Team)

Lance Flynn and Spike Cutler

Most Public Nap (Team)

Lance Flynn and Spike Cutler
I have a really cute picture of Spike sleeping, but I'm not going to post it. We also have a nice one of Brent sleeping...he did a LOT of grilling. :yes:

I have a really cute picture of Spike sleeping, but I'm not going to post it. We also have a nice one of Brent sleeping...he did a LOT of grilling. :yes:

Whew...I'm glad you said grilling and not snoring. Poor Bill had to wear ear plugs to sleep.

No kidding, this is like certifiable torture!!

Let me just say that, even 12 hours after grilling is complete, coals can still be hot and should be disposed of with due care. This means not around flammable brush and expensive airplanes! Not insinuating that this has anything to do with Gaston's, of course! :no: :D

(BTW, did y'all know that they'll provide a metal bucket for the disposal of grilling materials at Gastons?)

What's the names of the two drunk guys who heard there was a party with booze and walked several miles to crash the Saturday night flight line events? They should get an honorable mention....

oh yes. Bob and Victor. Walked 4 miles for the party at the Gastons Bar. Problem was, when they got there, the bar was closed and it was just us drunk pilots standing out on the runway. They didnt hang out too long, had a long walk home.

You could see the flames from where I was standing (before I took this picture). The airplanes got pushed out of the way in a timely manner. ;) Dave Taylor should get an award for this one...oh, maybe he already did.

If the wind was blowing the other way... :hairraise:

Grrrr. The archer appranetly uses a somewhat goofy Voltage Regulator, so I won't be leaving until tomorrow morning. Les at Ozark told me that it definately shorted itself out, but it looked like the original unit. I figure 31 years isn't too bad for one of those things :)

In that case I will "nominate" myself for the Mike Andrews Memorial Last One Home Award :D:D

On the plus side tomorrow the WX should be really nice after this stupid frontal system is through.

crap pete, that sucks. and how do you know, has Mike gotten home yet?

LOL Tony I just hope Mike would be able to be home by 2:00 pm tomorrow :D

Back