2007 Wish List

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
It's time for the New Years resolutions. How many of you are planning a "major" flight for 2007 and where are you going?

I'm hoping to repeat my flight to Newfoundland and :)fcross:) finally get that landing in France.

In addition I'm hoping to get a long weekend trip to Deadwood/Mt. Rushmore this summer.

This summer would like to fly from NY to OK and pick up 7-year-old grandson. Will take him camping to see Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills, Little Big Horn then to visit his great-grandparents in California before returning him to Oklahoma. Need to get him a booster seat for the front.

His longest trip so far has been this past Thanksgiving from Ponca City, OK to Tulsa, about 100 miles. In the back seat.

Also, hope to make 4th visit to Oshkosh.

Last edited:
Since I am just a newbie there is a long list of places to see on the "to do" list.

Mary and I have talked about spending time in Maine at or around Sugarloaf, spending some time exploring wineries in Niagara Falls (Canadian side) and heading to Ocracoke in the Carolina's. I would like to head out to Green Bay, WI and once again tour the frozen tundra of Lambeau field and visit friends of ours in Appleton.

At least we have a list and that's a good place to start.

1.) Gastons
2.) Maybe Oshkosh
3.) 6Y9 - Labor Day
4.) Midwest Fly-in @ Ames

Is what I have planned/budgeted right now. Gastons is the expensive one.

Since I am just a newbie there is a long list of places to see on the "to do" list.

Mary and I have talked about spending time in Maine at or around Sugarloaf,

.... and my guest room is open, though you'll have to divert to Wiscasset IWI, Auburn-Lewiston LEW, or Bowdoinham 08B. One Short(Barb) has done it; EdFred has done it. You can be next.

HR

Last edited:
..... to get certificated, to airport hop in greater distances, and to take Her Majesty flying when she visits from Fort Lauderdale. Her closest plane association, thus far, has been to sit on the "hangar sofa" and quip, "That's an expensive toy box you have here."

HR

I'm going to the Short Wing Convention in Kansas this summer. I figure 3-5 days to get there from Michigan and 10 days to get home. I'm going to try to get most of the States I haven't landed in yet. When I trace out my proposed route it looks like the flight of a butterfly.

Barb

D.C. and NC in April (Friend is Graduating from Marine OCS)
Grand Canyon, San Diego and back late in the summer (Visit my Brother)

I'd say both coasts in one year sounds like a good plan.

I may even try to fit in the commercial rating as well :)

Pete

When I trace out my proposed route it looks like the flight of a butterfly.
That butterfly must have some kinda useful load!

I shall complete my Commercial and CFII at the minimum.... and probably MEI. I am dreaming about a XC that will take me to Colorado and Arizona... a smaller plane to enjoy the view and experience, just about perfect for a 182.

I do not make resolutions, but if this is a wish list, I wish to find a job doing something I love that will enable me to complete my PPL, start instrument, get my own airplane or a nice share in one locally, and then start flying out to visit some people in person.

It's time for the New Years resolutions. How many of you are planning a "major" flight for 2007 and where are you going?

None of these qualify as MAJOR, but I'd like to do at least these this year:

NCAA regionals in March
Wings BBQ in May?
Gastons in June
Oshkosh
Maybe EdFred's for labor day (if I can get a Mooney in and out of there)

Does completing my IFR count for a New Year Resolution? when I get that I will be flying Gaston, 6Y9 and to Kansas for Christmas 2007. Also I am going to see if I can make all the flights on the 2007 NE Flyins http://ciottifamily.com/NEFlyIn.htm

1.) Gastons
2.) Maybe Oshkosh
3.) 6Y9 - Labor Day
4.) Midwest Fly-in @ Ames

Is what I have planned/budgeted right now. Gastons is the expensive one.

are we still hoping to do a glider thing late march?

The Final Round Up, Sept. 27-30, Columbus, OH http://www.GML2007.com
6Y9
Wings BBQ
First Flight
Key West
Acacia NP
Gastons...maybe
Puget Sound
Mt Rushmore/Devil's Postpile
Lake Bonneville
OSH
Reno
Death Valley & Leadville

....in no particular order

Last edited:
Thanks HR......we will look you up for a dinner out on us, always a good thing meeting folks from the forum.

Barb, if you need Delaware give a heads up! I work at KILG and keep 679er there. Mary and I have 2 bedrooms and ground transportation available. As long as you don't mind Maggie (Italian Mastiff) and our 3 cats!

I'm going to try for
Gaston's
Oshkosh
6Y9
and anywhere i have money to fly too

At least 200 hrs in the "Trinny" and someplace I haven't been before.
Happy & a safe New Year!

Gary Gembala
1998 Socata TB-20
N398SA

Going to Disney World with the hubby.

Also doing Gaston's again, alone (so far), continuing on to Scottsdale. And if I make it that far, I have to try for the West Coast.

Would also like to try for Key West this year with the hubby.

Kaye

Going to Disney World with the hubby.

Also doing Gaston's again, alone (so far), continuing on to Scottsdale. And if I make it that far, I have to try for the West Coast.

Would also like to try for Key West this year with the hubby.

Kaye

You oughtta choose another destination than Dizzy World.
We aren't supporting businesses that buy knee jerk Mickey Mouse No Fly Zones.

You oughtta choose another destination than Dizzy World.
We aren't supporting businesses that buy knee jerk Mickey Mouse No Fly Zones.

Yeah, but.......that's where Women in Aviaition's having their convention.....so I'm still suppporting a good thing.

The route will be counter clockwise:

9d9-anc.jpg

Kent -

Wait till you see 6Y9 this year. Won't even look the same. All that scrub to the east should be usable grass by June. You could take just about anything except a Grumman in and out of there.

Well, here's my plans:

Gastons (somehow, someway, I'll be there)
Fort Collins (Watch UNM beat up on CSU again)
LAX (yes, Los Angeles International)
Maybe one of those fancy AOPA things in California

That's about it. I'll be limited, since I'll likely be renting for a while :(

Shortly after finishing my IR, I hope to take the wife and head out from Texas to the Florida area and work our way North up the East Coast and bum around in the plane for a couple of weeks.

OK Kaye,

If you bring the Trinidad, I'll show up with 398SA again.

Birds of a feather or something like that.

Gary Gembala
TB-20

After I get my PPL, I hope to go to Maxton and Stanton's BBQ.

Tentatively planning on Gaston's this year.

After last year's 3.5hr flight (as opposed to 16hr drive) down for the Auburn-Florida football game, my bro-in law and his lawyer buddies are tempting me to fly them down south for another 'real' football game this fall. :) *twist my arm*

Other than that, not much else on the calendar for this year. Starting back to school after a three year vacation will surely put a damper on the cash flow for the foreseeable future.

-Chris

Okay, been talking to the chief pilot (that's of the club, IOW, not Leslie :))
and we're lining up club trips tentatively to:
Oshkosh
Sun 'n' Fun
Bahamas
Bar Harbor, Maine (and maybe France, thanks to Barry!)
Mackinac Island
We will likely be on many if not most of these.

and of course we've already got reservations for Gastons.

OK Kaye,

If you bring the Trinidad, I'll show up with 398SA again.

Birds of a feather or something like that.

Gary Gembala
TB-20

Steve S got a great shot of 398SA last year with me using it as a double for my Trinidad, which really was parked closed by (Mt Home).

Going to confirm with insurance that I'm reading the policy right, but it looks like this year I'll be landing at Gaston's!

Kaye

Well, here's my plans:

Gastons (somehow, someway, I'll be there)
Fort Collins (Watch UNM beat up on CSU again)
LAX (yes, Los Angeles International)
Maybe one of those fancy AOPA things in California

That's about it. I'll be limited, since I'll likely be renting for a while :(

I read somewhere that small pistons are not allowed into LAX. Like maybe tower or approach will tell you unable or not cleared into bravo. Dont recall where i read it. It was a while ago.
I have landed at McCarren, and the 45 minute wait for takeoff sucking up jet fumes behind large southwest planes sucked so much i dont plan on doing it again any time soon. Although i have been told there are better times to go with ease. i just picked a busy weekend day.

I read somewhere that small pistons are not allowed into LAX. Like maybe tower or approach will tell you unable or not cleared into bravo.

Look up LAX tower in the green book, and call them and arrange a slot to get in there. That is what that guy in the 152 did when he landed at 21 airports in the LA area in one day. You may not like the slot time they give you, but you should be able to get something.

Yeah, but.......that's where Women in Aviation's having their convention.....so I'm still suppporting a good thing.

Well what the... Shame on WAI! Why don't we have the next AOPA expo in Chicago? :mad:

uhoh, new years resolutions huh? I'm still working on the ones from last year but I'll give it a shot! Lets see...umm.. 1. Fly more 2. Learn how to study for flying (that one should keep me busy) 3. Get my instrument and commercial tickets. 4. Try to make it to Gastons, I keep hearing about it! 5. Get an internship at the local FBO for right seat privelidges in the Cheyanne. Anyone know what that would take?

That should do it for the moment!

Tristan

Well what the... Shame on WAI! Why don't we have the next AOPA expo in Chicago? :mad:
Unfortunately, the 99's are having their international conference in Chicago in a few years (2009 or 2010? Leslie, Elizabeth?). We tried to talk them out of it, to get them to at least choose a SUBURB, but the popular vote was apparently for the city. :mad::mad:

Whew, I've had enough major trips for a while just getting the plane home. I look forward to short hops and commutes to Anchorage.

Back