2006 taxes - little know rebate (do you own a phone?)

Something I don't get... you're charged the tax, regardless of how many use the phone or are even in the home. So, why should it matter how many dependents you have in order to take the standard deduction on this tax?

I have Vonage. They used to charge next to no tax. Now, it's gone up by nearly five bucks. I thought the VoIP companies were going to fight this, saying it was over the internet which is not regulated other than content for legal purposes. Uh huh.....

It's true. I remember a news story about it.

I have all my bills for the affected period, but I'm not sure that I'll go back and add them up. Might not be worth my time.

It's true. I remember a news story about it.

I have all my bills for the affected period, but I'm not sure that I'll go back and add them up. Might not be worth my time.

They should have also mandated that the phone company send each customer an itemized list of the excise taxes the customer paid during the affected period, to be attached to the 1040 as documentation. (Or, at least provide a means to see and print the document online).

Just looked at my December bill and Qwest is still charging the 3% tax. That's 98 cents!

They should have also mandated that the phone company send each customer an itemized list of the excise taxes the customer paid during the affected period, to be attached to the 1040 as documentation. (Or, at least provide a means to see and print the document online).
Ooooo, nice. I wonder if Verizon would send me the bills for the last 4 years. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Shorten up that itemization.

Back