200 knots below Class B and NY airspace

sevensky

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
sevensky
I've been seeing this commonly since being based in NY. ATC assigns you a speed of 250, then takes you out of the class B,they don't tell you, you are exiting the class B either. If you slow, you are going to get bitched at about separation. The company has put in our guide a warning about this at a few airports where they are seeing a problem...

Is there some exemption we don't know about or is NY just special

I’ve never gotten a satisfactory answer, but is the stated airspace under the Class B designated for an Airport, or is the Class B designated for an airport (in which case, one would assume that Class B airspace exists that is NOT designated for an airport o_O )?

(c) No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).

Curious - in what situations are you finding yourself under the Bravo? I operate in NYC as well, and the lowest I ever seem to be while getting vectored around at 250 knots is 2000’ - and that’s over the water while inbound for 31L/R at JFK (where the base is 1500’).

FAR 91.117 mentions aircraft speed. ATC can supersede the speed limit set forth in class D/C/B airspace. Meaning, you can fly faster than the "speed limit" but only if ATC approves it.

FAR 91.117 mentions aircraft speed. ATC can supersede the speed limit set forth in class D/C/B airspace. Meaning, you can fly faster than the "speed limit" but only if ATC approves it.

Negative. ATC is not the administrator.

Negative. ATC is not the administrator.
You are correct, however, some atc facilities do have approval by the administrator under pilot programs. This is to test, how giving controllers the authority to delete the restriction impacts the system.

Also, while not in accordance with regs, atc will sometimes look the other way when an aircraft takes a while to slow down below the restriction.

You are correct, however, some atc facilities do have approval by the administrator under pilot programs. This is to test, how giving controllers the authority to delete the restriction impacts the system.

Also, while not in accordance with regs, atc will sometimes look the other way when an aircraft takes a while to slow down below the restriction.

I believe the program to allow over 250 below 10 was in Houston, and it was cancelled a while ago

And not abiding the aerial speed limits are like not abiding by the ground speed limits. Just because one cop didn't give you a ticket, doesn't mean the next cop you pass won't. Except getting a speed limit in the sky is a career ender.

When you are below the floor of a Class B area the speed limit is 200kts. ATC can not waive it. [91.117(c)]

The ADMINISTRATOR is the only one who can waive the 250kts below 10,000' rule. [91.117(a)]

ATC can waive the 200kt limit in the surface areas of class C or D airports. [91.117(b)]

If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in 91.117, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed. [91.117(d)] This comes into play in military fighters and heavy, larger, transport aircraft.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.117

You are correct, however, some atc facilities do have approval by the administrator under pilot programs.
That was IAH and that program ended more than two decades ago.

I had this happen to me in ATL airspace. Was heading to Gwinnett county, IFR, and was cruising about 220 ish. Just highlighted the airspace with the MFD cursor and saw I was below the Bravo in that sector. I guess there is no requirement for them to let you know. So I pulled the power back. Not sure with ADS-B if they can see your indicated airspeed, but did get a little sick feeling.

Via a specific LOA. Its not a blanket authorization.
So? Nobody said it was. Your original statement was incorrect.

One thing that you should be able to rely on, however, that ATC will not approve it without the authority properly delegated.

So? Nobody said it was. Your original statement was incorrect.

One thing that you should be able to rely on, however, that ATC will not approve it without the authority properly delegated.

Right, I was responding to the poster that made it seem like ATC can give you permission to exceed speed limits at their whim.

You can not rely on ATC knowing what rules a pilot has to follow. They expect you to know the rules that apply to your operation and for you to inform them when you can not comply with their instructions.

Unless a controller happens to know the applicable regulation, if a pilot asks for something the controller will assume that the pilot is authorized to do what he is asking for.

The only regulations that ATC can waive are regulations which specifically say "unless authorized or required by ATC". If the Administrator has granted additional authorizations to ATC, that authorization will be detailed in a NOTAM.

I had this happen to me in ATL airspace. Was heading to Gwinnett county, IFR, and was cruising about 220 ish. Just highlighted the airspace with the MFD cursor and saw I was below the Bravo in that sector. I guess there is no requirement for them to let you know. So I pulled the power back. Not sure with ADS-B if they can see your indicated airspeed, but did get a little sick feeling.

ADS-B only gives ground speed, just like radar.

Back