20% Wall Tax

We have a place up here that's pretty good, although I'm from New England so WTF do I know. Anyway, the guy is from Texas and set up a smoker on wheels on Rt 104 in Meredith, NH. He's been there about 5 years now and does pretty well. Just built a shed type thing so he can go through the winter.

Azure gave a good response, but the cause of the crash was something a 20 hour pilot ready to solo should have been able to handle. Airspeed too low? put the nose down and add power if needed.

The Air France 447 crash was piloted with far more experienced pilots who encountered a pitot/static failure and they flew the plane into a stall. Simply having a lot of hours doesn't guarantee safety. The quality of those hours and the training improves safety.

Exactly ! Both examples of pilots that failed to build a solid foundation.

The 1500 hour rule pretty much requires that you become a CFI in order to acquire that time. You might (emphasis on the word might) be able to bluff your way thru a CFI oral and practical but if you don't really have a strong aviation foundation you're not going to last very long as a practicing CFI.

The only other palatable solution for me would be Airline Training Academies, which they might indeed have to bring back.

That's a very good example from when airlines in this country briefly ran TRAINING ACADEMIES. And just like Lufthansa it can be very successful. If congress were to mandate that I would be happy to see that as well and maybe that's what it's going to take.
Well that whole congress thing is the issue. Their current mandate prohibits an airline from being able to what I described.

Instead of trying to dictate hiring or training practices there needs to be an objective evaluation of what allowed such a captain to remain in the left seat.

Part of the problem is how the industry is structured. The b scale pay was essentially moved from the mainline to the regional. Regional pilots are now flying the equivalent of a DC9 on primary North American routes. Those jobs belong at the mainline. Not because of pay but safety. What happens now is a rookie shows up flys a little while, upgrades, flys a little more and then leaves for the real job at a major just about the time they actually know what they are doing. The mentoring of rookies by seasoned line pilots has always been critical. Current industry structure significantly reduces the opportunity for this to happen in the regional cockpit.

I've had joes. It's yummy. Didn't know they shipped. Thanks for the link.

Western NC bbq is not chopped and they use more traditional bbq sauce unlike the vinegar based peeper sauce found down east. I'm a fan of eastern bbq. Those hillbillies don't know to make bbq :)

But KC BBQ is the best.

Joe's just started shipping not too long ago. JackStack also ships, and has, for years.

They might even ship to Guam.

Part of the problem is how the industry is structured. The b scale pay was essentially moved from the mainline to the regional. Regional pilots are now flying the equivalent of a DC9 on primary North American routes. Those jobs belong at the mainline. Not because of pay but safety. What happens now is a rookie shows up flys a little while, upgrades, flys a little more and then leaves for the real job at a major just about the time they actually know what they are doing. The mentoring of rookies by seasoned line pilots has always been critical. Current industry structure significantly reduces the opportunity for this to happen in the regional cockpit.

If the airlines could pay their RJ crews the same salaries as their regional subsidiaries, they would take this flying in-house tomorrow. This is a union problem, not a regulatory or financial problem.

If the airlines could pay their RJ crews the same salaries as their regional subsidiaries, they would take this flying in-house tomorrow. This is a union problem, not a regulatory or financial problem.
Very true. The first RJs were offered to main line pilots on a b scale and the union refused. What we see now is a direct result of that situation. All the pilots flying RJ should be at mainline.

Exactly ! Both examples of pilots that failed to build a solid foundation.

The 1500 hour rule pretty much requires that you become a CFI in order to acquire that time. You might (emphasis on the word might) be able to bluff your way thru a CFI oral and practical but if you don't really have a strong aviation foundation you're not going to last very long as a practicing CFI.

The only other palatable solution for me would be Airline Training Academies, which they might indeed have to bring back.
So you agree with Azure and me? Having lots of hours in excess of the congressional mandate doesn't guarantee a good foundation of piloting skills? The first officer left seat for the AF447 flight had over 6500 hours (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447 )- over 4x the congressional mandate.

Also, why subject a student pilot to poor piloting skills on the part of an instructor? These sort of basic piloting skills can be easily tested and evaluated with an interview "check ride" in a simulator, for example.
I agree that poor pilots would be washed out from being CFIs, but it may take an accident or a bad decision for this to occur. Early in my training, my CFI was sick so they assigned a new guy to me. As I went to pre-flight, I noticed thunderstorms approaching. I did the pre-flight, and then I canceled the flight when the CFI came out and indicated we could go. The storm did come over us shortly afterwards, after I tied the plane back down. I never saw that CFI again; however there was the potential for a bad outcome if I chose to take that flight.

^^^

I had a few CFI/WX related incidents during primary training.

One kind: My CFI would say, "Let's fly!" I'd say, "OK!" CFI would say, "Are you crazy? Didn't you check the weather or even look up? Look at that front moving in!" Then we'd go back inside for a weather discussion. My lesson there was not to let myself get talked into going.

Orher kind: Me, "I think the wx is going to ground us. I'm calling it." CFI would say, "I'm good with it. It's your call." Then we'd go back inside for a weather discussion. Sometimes, after a second look at what was going on I'd change my mind. Those were the days when I was still working on expanding my personal minimums. My lesson there was to be cautious and conservative, but not overly so.

So you agree with Azure and me? Having lots of hours in excess of the congressional mandate doesn't guarantee a good foundation of piloting skills? The first officer left seat for the AF447 flight had over 6500 hours (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447 )- over 4x the congressional mandate.
Well I don't disagree with you, but I do think you have me confused with someone else. The only subjects I weighed in on in this thread were climate change and nuclear energy, nothing to do with mandatory minimum hours for airline pilots.

Back