20,000 members!

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
7ln8pyz.png

:cheers::rockon::cornut::popcorn::cheerswine:

Looks like someone needs a job or a more time consuming hobby....

I was just logging on and noticed it on the left side of the page. And I'm at work!

Now on the hobby part, if you want me to be more consumed by aviation you're gonna have to help me afford it :D

I was just logging on and noticed it on the left side of the page. And I'm at work!

Now on the hobby part, if you want me to be more consumed by aviation you're gonna have to help me afford it :D

Perhaps he was referring to the "top poster"

:confused: Why on Earth would I want a job? :dunno: Besides, most of the time I am working, this is what I'm doing anyway.:lol: When I do my job right, I have a **** load of time on my hands, and I do my job right.;)

Overdrive, your post kicked me in the rear to finally register and become member 20K+1 !

Quick intro: My name is Brian, and I've been fascinated with aviation ever since a young child (I'm now 40). I've been lurking on this forum for a little over 2 years and haven't registered out of laziness or just because I basically have nothing aviation related to add to the discussions. Or maybe this place already has enough Brians :lol: This forum seems to be an amazing source of information, and I'm also very entertained by some of the soap opera drama that sometimes prevails :goofy:

I'm a complete newbie to aviation. In the past couple years I've logged 2 hours dual in a 172 along with 2 glider flights, but I haven't pursued it further due to your typical money/work/commitment/life restraints. I'm hoping that will change in the future.

That's all for the quick intro. I'll probably not post much but may chirp in from time to time. I have a write up of my discovery flight on a PDF somewhere which I'll post at a later time (once allowed to upload) for anyone interested in reading. I won't spoil the ending, but let's just say it didn't go quite as I expected :no: :lol:

User #20K, sorry if I hijacked your thread ;)

All the best,
another Brian :cheersbeer:

Another piece of information,I'm not sure I need to know.

I wonder how many of these 20k members are

Trolls
Spammers
and 6PC alts.

:confused: Why on Earth would I want a job? :dunno: Besides, most of the time I am working, this is what I'm doing anyway.:lol: When I do my job right, I have a **** load of time on my hands, and I do my job right.;)

And of course you are the ultimate expert on any topic known to man, with the compulsion to make it known at every opportunity.

Overdrive, your post kicked me in the rear to finally register and become member 20K+1 !

Quick intro: My name is Brian, and I've been fascinated with aviation ever since a young child (I'm now 40). I've been lurking on this forum for a little over 2 years and haven't registered out of laziness or just because I basically have nothing aviation related to add to the discussions. Or maybe this place already has enough Brians :lol: This forum seems to be an amazing source of information, and I'm also very entertained by some of the soap opera drama that sometimes prevails :goofy:

I'm a complete newbie to aviation. In the past couple years I've logged 2 hours dual in a 172 along with 2 glider flights, but I haven't pursued it further due to your typical money/work/commitment/life restraints. I'm hoping that will change in the future.

That's all for the quick intro. I'll probably not post much but may chirp in from time to time. I have a write up of my discovery flight on a PDF somewhere which I'll post at a later time (once allowed to upload) for anyone interested in reading. I won't spoil the ending, but let's just say it didn't go quite as I expected :no: :lol:

All the best,

WELCOME

Henning has made almost 3% of the total number of posts here.

God help us.

What is the old saw? he who speaks the longest usually has the least to say...

Old saw? Was going to ask what that meant but I decided to google it first, and then say that I googled it and now know what it means. LOL

So, I now know what it means.

David

Well, in that case I'd bet that Nate is the prize winner. Half as many posts but I'd say he's far, far ahead in number of words!

:goofy:

(Love ya, Nate)

I'd like to hear from ollopa, the new member. Why did he/she join? What is attractive about flying and POA?

20,000 members and only 6 that post on a regular basis. :D

I'd like to hear from ollopa, the new member. Why did he/she join? What is attractive about flying and POA?

Great question. Here's hoping he/she surfaces and give us some insight :yes:

All the best,

:cheers:
Thread hijack is a way of life here! Welcome to the community and thanks for the bio - great to meet you Another Brian! :D

Drama is also a way of life and it is pretty entertaining to watch. It's great that you've been around for two years, you'll be well-equipped for the POA checkride of references. Hope you brought your metal landing calculator!

There's plenty of off-subject stuff to contribute to in the Hangar Talk section, exhibit A - this thread! I'm also currently stuck on the aviation track (PPL, 100 hours, 1.9 in the last 5 years) but I graduated from college last year and am hoping to change all that myself (23 years young). I'd love to read your write up :p just make sure you've got some thick skin :lol:

20,000 members and only 6 that post on a regular basis. :D
There-Are-Dozens-of-Us-Tobias-Funke-Arrested-Development.gif

Last edited:
Chicago method: register early, register often....

:cheers:
Thread hijack is a way of life here! Welcome to the community and thanks for the bio - great to meet you Another Brian! :D

Drama is also a way of life and it is pretty entertaining to watch. It's great that you've been around for two years, you'll be well-equipped for the POA checkride of references. Hope you brought your metal landing calculator!

There's plenty of off-subject stuff to contribute to in the Hangar Talk section, exhibit A - this thread! I'm also currently stuck on the aviation track (PPL, 100 hours, 1.9 in the last 5 years) but I graduated from college last year and am hoping to change all that myself (23 years young). I'd love to read your write up :p just make sure you've got some thick skin :lol:

Thanks for the welcome! Yup metal landing calculator, check (even tho I'm not a pilot I find it indispensable for pulling into my driveway at times) and thick skin, check. I've been around the interwebs since the early usenet days and this place seems pretty tame in comparison to other forums I've participated in, but I've yet to visit the spin zone :lol: Best of luck to you as you find your way back on the aviation track! Man, to be 23 again would be nice :yes: :lol:

He and the others are a "Brian".....

Thank god there is only ONE " Bryan"....:yesnod:....:redface:

:lol: yes but you have to admit anyone named "Bryan" with a "y" is just a little "off" :goofy: *

* 6PC, just some good natured kidding. I find Bryan's posts hilarious, and as we both like good craft beer I think we'd make good drinking buddies :yes:

Cheers,
another Brian

Thanks for the welcome! Yup metal landing calculator, check (even tho I'm not a pilot I find it indispensable for pulling into my driveway at times) and thick skin, check. I've been around the interwebs since the early usenet days and this place seems pretty tame in comparison to other forums I've participated in, but I've yet to visit the spin zone :lol: Best of luck to you as you find your way back on the aviation track! Man, to be 23 again would be nice :yes: :lol:
Thanks for the well wishes! Still semi-struggling overall but I'm starting to make a little headway :yesnod:

Also...
g1425792358993637325.jpg

Last edited:

Oh, if only it could have been as upbeat a reason to compel me to make an account as all you guys are in this thread :)

It was a crash I read about in the NTSB reporter that struck a personal chord. I became irritated by the way the pilot's qualifications were being smeared in the media and needed a place to speak my peace. I happened upon a thread here that was discussing the crash and saw a lot of people expressing the same confusion and making the same points I wanted to say, so I signed up and spent a day and a half getting ready to brain-dump all over the thread :yikes:

I'm a "he," turning 35 this month. I remember being about 4 years old and standing in my dad's kitchen, staring up at the stick-and-tissue free-flight model airplane on top of the refrigerator. I don't know if that was the genesis of my interest in aviation but it probably was. A few years later I was jumping off the roof of a horse stable while holding an umbrella, hoping for even a glimpse of flight. The umbrella turned inside-out, of course, but it wasn't worse than any of my first landings in a C172. :goofy: Unlike the Cessna, I don't think I bounced even once!

I built and flew model airplanes throughout my childhood but, like Indiana Jones: "Fly, yes. Land, no." I spent more time building, repairing, and fetching my planes from trees than I did actually flying them.

Around 10 years old I got a chance to visit Edwards AFB and see an SR-71 in-person, fly a virtual-reality parachute, and wear the upper half of a space suit they claimed had been used on an actual mission. I'm sure a lot of other things happened that day but I just remember airplanes and space suits... From that point on, not being a pilot was like having some kind of spiritual absence in my life.

My preteen self learned about ultralights and fantasized about building one from nylon fabric and my neighbor's wrecked motorcycle. I figured that building models must have made me an expert in flight: I knew the basic shape of an airfoil, about where the CG should be, and that I could dope a cloth or tissue wing to make it work better. It's a good thing I never built my boyhood fantasy ultralight--I had no idea about material science and mechanics.

The first time I ever rode in an airplane of any sort, either as a passenger or a pilot, was in the left seat of a C172. I was 18 and I had fixed a customer's issue with his flight simulator yoke. The customer turned out to be a flight instructor and he offered to give me a free introductory flight after learning about my interest in aviation. He told me that if I could come up with $4k to cover the fuel and rental costs, he would give me the lessons on a gentleman's agreement that I would pay for them in the future as I was able. What a deal that would have been, but my 18 year old self could hardly scrape together $400 to pay my monthly bills, let alone $4k for flying. I think he was only going to charge about $1600 for his instruction, by the way.

The years flew by... I changed part-time jobs a few times, languished in junior college for far too long, and eventually spent every penny I had on obtaining my electrical engineering degree and traveling to Japan during the summers. Now in my 30's and a couple years into my engineering gig, I began to hear about and meet pilots at my company. It dawned on me that I was finally in a place and time in my life where I could plug that empty hole I'd been carrying for so long. I got my ticket last year and I've been flying my friends and coworkers over the Golden Gate Bridge ever since :)

I don't know how best to describe what I like about flying. My first introductory flight at 18 years old was a very different experience from my second "introductory" flight at age 34. The first time around was thrilling, empowering, and as much of a metaphorical "reaching new heights" as it was a physical one. My crazy German instructor asked if I would like to experience a spin and I said yes. I remember it was like temporarily being tossed around in a clothes dryer and then suddenly Earth was below us and began spinning round-and-round. I loved it and made him do it again. When we got back to the school, he boasted about my enthusiasm to everyone.

On my second introductory flight, I was struggling to remember anything from my first flight 16 years prior. I was somehow a lot better at taxiing on the ground but I just kept thinking about falling once we were in the air. I'm not fearless like I was as a teenager and I have more meaningful relationships to people than I did then. I knew I needed to get my license but I wasn't sure what it was going to mean to me. It wasn't until I started flying solo that the magic really came back.

I love aviation but being a pilot gives me a sense of accomplishment unlike any of my other achievements. When I leave work a little early on a sunny California summer day and take to the air, it disconnects me from all the Earthly woes of the world below and I can reflect on how awesome it is to experience life in such a unique way. It's one of my oldest dreams and it is the achievement of something I thought would never be possible for myself. I want to fly almost every day and I want to fly every kind of airplane there is :)

Oh, if only it could have been as upbeat a reason to compel me to make an account as all you guys are in this thread :)

I love aviation but being a pilot gives me a sense of accomplishment unlike any of my other achievements. When I leave work a little early on a sunny California summer day and take to the air, it disconnects me from all the Earthly woes of the world below and I can reflect on how awesome it is to experience life in such a unique way. It's one of my oldest dreams and it is the achievement of something I thought would never be possible for myself. I want to fly almost every day and I want to fly every kind of airplane there is :)

Man, you said a lot, there (in a good way!). Welcome to PoA - it can be an interesting ride, but here are a lot of very good people here, and I count among them some of my very best friends - people I never would have known, but for this community.

---

From where do you fly? I am (for no particular reason) guessing KPAO.

I like the new guy!

Ps we are close in age and have a similar story. Welcome!

Well.........

That clearly defines Henning for sure...;)

I did some rough math - and came up with just over 13 posts per day over about 10 years.

48,000 divided by 365 divided by 10 (2005 to 2015)

Put that way, it doesn't sound quite so obsessive.

Last edited:
Back