2 skydivers (tandem) killed when their chute fails to open

Have you guys ever flown into an airport that has a very busy ag operation going on? They frequently do not fly standard patterns and will come from any direction, cut you off and be operating NORDO while you are flying a standard traffic pattern and making a normal amount of radio calls. I have been on very short final before and seen one approach the numbers from behind me or from my side and barely above the ground to cut me off. You have to keep your head on a swivel at places with special operations types of flying such as ag or skydiving. Once you know their tendencies and adjust for them, you will be fine. However, I do worry about real low time or student pilots who fly into those scenarios. So my thought is that if you are a special ops kind of pilot and you know there is another aircraft in the pattern, especially on final or even base, you might want to consider modifying your "normal' approach to help ensure safety as well as maintain good relations.

THIS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you guys ever flown into an airport that has a very busy ag operation going on? They frequently do not fly standard patterns and will come from any direction, cut you off and be operating NORDO while you are flying a standard traffic pattern and making a normal amount of radio calls. I have been on very short final before and seen one approach the numbers from behind me or from my side and barely above the ground to cut me off. You have to keep your head on a swivel at places with special operations types of flying such as ag or skydiving. Once you know their tendencies and adjust for them, you will be fine. However, I do worry about real low time or student pilots who fly into those scenarios. So my thought is that if you are a special ops kind of pilot and you know there is another aircraft in the pattern, especially on final or even base, you might want to consider modifying your "normal' approach to help ensure safety as well as maintain good relations.
Talk to the airport manager when that happens. It is unacceptable. None of the operators I have worked for tolerate that kind of crap.

Talk to the airport manager when that happens. It is unacceptable. None of the operators I have worked for tolerate that kind of crap.

What are you going to tell the manager?

While on a 70kt 20nm final in my 172 a thrush cut me off.

Don't see any FAR violations.

Guessing the AG guy buys waaaay more jet fuel than you buy 100ll.

Go against the traffic pattern is a issue, if they are flying VFR in IFR weather, that's a issue, buy VFR and see and avoid go together.

Some folks fly a tighter pattern, just keep your eyes out.

Umm, right of way FARs do not allow you to take off in a way that interferes with an aircraft on final. He can fly against traffic if he wants provided no one has to scatter. But it's a violation as soon as someone on final or in a glider does.

Aircraft on final has ROW, scaredy-cat student on downwind or base doesn't.

Aircraft on final has ROW, scaredy-cat student on downwind or base doesn't.
THIS. Being in what you perceive to be the CORRECT pattern doesn't overrule the other rules.

All of this back and forth, who is right or wrong, who has ROW or not, common courtesy goes a long way. I would never ever create an unsafe situation, but if I happened to catch the jackass kerosene burner behind me on the taxiway, he would burn a metric ton of fuel and sweat his nads off waiting on me, or he can go take off somewhere else if I'm in his way. I really don't like self important jackwagons.

Last edited:
All of this back and forth, who is right or wrong, who has ROW or not, common courtesy goes a long way. I would never ever create an unsafe situation, but if I happened to catch the jackass kerosene burner behind me on the taxiway, he would burn a metric ton of fuel and sweat his nads off waiting on me,Mir he go go take off somewhere else if I'm in his way. I really don't like self important jackwagons.

Or he'd get sick of your antics and reverse away from you, unleashing a ton of PT6 turbine onto your aluminum foil tail feathers.

Had someone block me in doing a hot fuel once, had our fueler try to find them, nope, let my turbine play you the song of its people.

Or he'd get sick of your antics and reverse away from you, unleashing a ton of PT6 turbine onto your aluminum foil tail feathers.

Had someone block me in doing a hot fuel once, had our fueler try to find them, nope, let my turbine play you the song of its people.
Now you're full of it.

Typical,internet bullsh!t going on here. Mr. hotshot Professional Pilot is going to whatever lengths are required to prove himself and his brethren correct. Flying low and passing under another plane on short final to claim "right of way" because your fuel is more important to you than my fuel is (to you!) is the epitome of assh@t behavior, fully deserving if whatever the cutoff pilot chooses to do when you aren't looking.

Fortunately the two jump operations I've flown around are nice. And yes, I'm quite happy that James here doesn't fly near me, jerks like him drive up my blood pressure. And please, run your prop in beta behind me, I need a jerk and his insurance company to make some repairs to my plane.

Now you're full of it.

Ya think?

What type of plane/car/house do you own?

I'll happy wager my 185 against whatever you own, if you want to try to call my bluff on my reverse at the fuel pumps.

PM me if you want to find a broker etc and do this thing, I'll happily take the Pepsi challenge on this.

Last edited:
Ya think?

I'll happy wager my 185 against whatever you own, if you want to try to call my bluff on my reverse at the fuel pumps.

PM me if you want to find a broker etc and do this thing, I'll happily take the Pepsi challenge on this.
I fly a Cherokee, I fly out of 1A9. Name the date.

Well I guess we all know who has the biggest E-Penis in these parts.

2f94fe5da679ea95cff6162f8fc44932b7a57d9ebbb6b7c9512405a68402bef7.jpg

Hey, Mike! I can probably find space to out your new Cessna while you decide what to do with it . . . And it won't be a long flight or drive to get there. I'll even fly you back after you drop it off.

I fly a Cherokee, I fly out of 1A9. Name the date.

You know I flew for a turbine DZ for a couple years...

But if you really want to go down that road, watcha want for proof, I can call my old DZ tomorrow, though I think my floats might cost more than your PA28 ;)

I'm not a betting man, but for proof of an event, I prefer direct visual observation. Too easy to fake videos, and some unknown person on the other end of a cell phone could swear the sky is green and the sun is dark and how could I prove it isn't where that person is? But I do tend to believe things that I see with my own eyes at 50' range with objects as large as a Cessna. Many things I see at work require magnification.

Ya think?

I'm calling your bluff. Come on to 1A9 and reverse me at the fuel pump. Don't need a broker because you are just running your mouth and you aren't going to do anything, except maybe run your mouth more.

You know I flew for a turbine DZ for a couple years...

But if you really want to go down that road, watcha want for proof, I can call my old DZ tomorrow, though I think my floats might cost more than your PA28 ;)

Could not care less what you used to do. What you do now is run your mouth, put up or shut up.

Hold short, I believe we may have a Henning in the pattern. Please advise.

Flying low and passing under another plane on short final to claim "right of way" because your fuel is more important to you than my fuel is (to you!)

Good story about that. A C-130 was doing touch and goes in KROW and I showed up in an Ercoupe. They were on a left downwind. Tower put mw on a right downwind and asked me to make a short approach. When I got to the numbers, I chopped the throttle and dove. Took me like 20 seconds to make it to the runway. That C-130 was probably on a 15 mile downwind by that point burning $5000/minute in taxpayer money.

Good times.

Wow, this went from "two people die in tragic skydiving accident" to a big dick contest in a heartbeat!

Good story about that. A C-130 was doing touch and goes in KROW and I showed up in an Ercoupe. They were on a left downwind. Tower put mw on a right downwind and asked me to make a short approach. When I got to the numbers, I chopped the throttle and dove. Took me like 20 seconds to make it to the runway. That C-130 was probably on a 15 mile downwind by that point burning $5000/minute in taxpayer money.

Good times.
$5000/minute? That seems very high. Even a 747 burns about a gallon per second of jet fuel, only about 1/20 of that figure. Maybe you meant $5000/hour?

I'm calling your bluff. Come on to 1A9 and reverse me at the fuel pump. Don't need a broker because you are just running your mouth and you aren't going to do anything, except maybe run your mouth more.

Could not care less what you used to do. What you do now is run your mouth, put up or shut up.

Not worth my time, and as much as I have little use for your trainer, if you really want to go there, how do you want to play it?

I'll have a few affidavits signed about my simple reverse at the fuel pumps and you'll send me my 8050-1&2?

Maybe on my next time off Ill try to get out there and pick her up?

After I send you the affidavits on me doing that common maneuver in a turbine, perhaps you could send me some photos and specs so I could get the plane listed for sale on here and barnstormers/aso/tap, don't got the hangar space for a PA28.

Let me know, if you want to go full retard here, I guess I'll take your PA28 off your hands.

edited. This has become disrespectful to the OP and those who died. I apologize to everyone. I should have known better. Sorry @orange

Last edited:
Wow, this went from "two people die in tragic skydiving accident" to a big dick contest in a heartbeat!

Nothing dumber than two drunk guys in a bar challenging each other to a fight outside.

Last edited:
$5000/minute? That seems very high. Even a 747 burns about a gallon per second of jet fuel, only about 1/20 of that figure. Maybe you meant $5000/hour?
Might be a slight exaggeration. After maintenance costs, crew costs, fuel costs, it at least isn't cheap.

Lodi is a non-USPA dropzone. That is definitely know but I still expected ALL their tandem instructors to be USPA certified for instruction. That's a surprise.

The other non-USPA drop zone I know of still abides by the licensing requirements of the USPA, they just don't particularly like the organization itself.

That's unfortunate.

That always happens when you put a bunch of people who are sure that they know more than everybody else in the same room/board.

Anyway, today, I heard on the news that the instructor was not certified by US Parachuting Association. Is that a governmental agency for parachuting, same as the FAA is for flying? Or is this association more like AOPA?

Edit: I missed the link above already talking about this because I was trying to bypass the dick measuring contests in this thread.

That always happens when you put a bunch of people who know more than the next in the same room/board.

Anyway, today, I heard on the news that the instructor was not certified by US Parachuting Association. Is that a governmental agency for parachuting, same as the FAA is for flying? Or is this association more like AOPA?

Edit: I missed the link above already talking about this because I was trying to bypass the dick measuring contests in this thread.
More like the AOPA. They provide structure and insurance, if you follow their rules. They are a governing body for those who have dropzones endorsed by them and people with licenses issued by them. They have good structure to help someone go from 0 jumps to 25 jumps and an A license. I don't really know of a place that will allow you to jump without a USPA license but it is technically not required.

Their pilots are aholes. Like nose-on-the-threshold while you're on final aholes.

Like take off from intersecting runways into downwind without using radios aholes.

Like not giving a shiat about the rest of the aviation population aholes.

This is my experience with them as well. They took off into me when I was turning final and got on the radio and suggested I leave the pattern. Lodi has had at least 16 deaths since they opened and that doesn't count the lady who slipped out of her harness and survived or the plane they put upside down in a field three months ago (17 people walked away from that one). They flipped my off while I was pumping fuel (I guess I slowed them down).

Last edited:

The FAA only concerns itself with parachute riggers and dropzone pilots. Other than that, skydiving is self regulating. You do dumb ****, you die. USPA provides a framework and certifications of proficiency, but there is nothing that stops you from buying a clapped out 182 and starting a dropzone. USPA member zones tend to do better than non-member places.
Tandem jumping is to some extent under control of the manufacturers. They try to ensure proficiency through licensing agreements and training. Works only as long as you don't have a rogue operator who doesn't care.

I've done one tandem jump. You're darn tooting it had an AAD. The "passenger" doesn't have easy access to the various things (rip cord, reserve, drogue release) even if knew what to do with them. It would be foolhardy to not have it.

They made me watch a video from the manufacturer pretty much saying "You can expect expect to die if you jump on our rig" before jumping.

A followup article says that skydiving was on the passenger's bucket list. I guess he got that done just in time.

The place I did it recorded you accepting the waiver of liability. There was an "I'm going to die and it's not your fault," in so many words speech on the wall right next to the camera. They turned on the VCR, you read it verbatim.

Back