2 kweshyuns

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
I haz two kweshyuns:

1) do controllers 'jot down' tail #'s as people are calling up for the first time? it was a busy weekend in the CLT area as sweet-ass weather rolled in and e'rbody got to flying. tons of people calling up CLT APP for flight following. sometimes you hear "aircraft that just called, say again" but sometimes after hearing several people call up, the controller will eventually respond with tail #'s. do they jot them down as they come in, do they mostly remember them because they do that kind of stuff all day long, are they required to enter a tail # into their system as soon as they hear it, what? maybe they use kneeboards thatsajoke.

2) am I a target? on flight following heading to non-towered field....called up to cancel FF with field in site....controller responds with "several targets in the pattern"....I've heard this a coupl'a times recently. now I kinda feel obligated to aim for these targets so I get more points. I'm assuming I get points for hitting targets. maybe they should consider changing terminology?

He calls them "targets" because to him, its like looking at a game of Space Invaders... for you, well, you're one of those aliens... so you too are a "target"

2) am I a target? on flight following heading to non-towered field....called up to cancel FF with field in site....controller responds with "several targets in the pattern"....I've heard this a coupl'a times recently. now I kinda feel obligated to aim for these targets so I get more points. I'm assuming I get points for hitting targets. maybe they should consider changing terminology?
The target is just a blip on their radar screen with no data attached to it, they can see direction of flight but that's it. Flocks of birds can also send a return as well, but they can differentiate the two. Taking a tour of my local TRACON was beneficial in my understanding of how ATC operates from their end. Definitely recommend it, if you get the chance!

Before I terminate with ATC, I like to say "N123 has XYZ in sight, if there's no other traffic between us and XYZ we can squawk VFR." Gives an idea of what to expect as I'm approaching the non-towered field, if somebody chooses not to use their radio.

They may just use your call sign, may write it down, no in stone procedure as it just depends on an individual controller. It's a short memory deal, where you can usually remember call signs for a short period of time. Myself I've done both, wrote it down or just remembered it.

As Ryan with a B wrote, the targets the controller is referring to are unverified "targets" and they are unverified as to type plane and altitude. Some the controller may see an altitude readout and the controller will say "traffic 12 o'clock, 3 miles, type unknown, altitude indicate 2500, unverified", something along those lines.

I haz two kweshyuns:

1) do controllers 'jot down' tail #'s as people are calling up for the first time? it was a busy weekend in the CLT area as sweet-ass weather rolled in and e'rbody got to flying. tons of people calling up CLT APP for flight following. sometimes you hear "aircraft that just called, say again" but sometimes after hearing several people call up, the controller will eventually respond with tail #'s. do they jot them down as they come in, do they mostly remember them because they do that kind of stuff all day long, are they required to enter a tail # into their system as soon as they hear it, what? maybe they use kneeboards thatsajoke.

1) all of those. Sometimes they'll be typing it in on the keyboard as your saying it, go talk to a few other planes and then get back to you. Many times there are two controllers at the position and the "data" guy, or whatever it's called at that facility will get it and the tell the guy doing all the yappin on the radio "dude, this n12345 cat is still waitin on ya."

2) I got an Idea for a paint job

I haz two kweshyuns:

1) most controllers write down your call sign or type it into the radar to get you a code immediately. All I need is callsign, type, your position, altitude and what you want (i.e. Practice approach, flight following, pop up ifr).

2) yes you are a target. The "blip" is the radar return shown on the scope. The radar is returning off a target. With no transponder it's usually is planes, may be birds.

then I vote for changing to "squawk vfr, several blips in the pattern...".
This will cause a lot of confusion when people get confused and think that there are blimps in the pattern.

This will cause a lot of confusion when people get confused and think that there are blimps in the pattern.

Most pilots today don't know what a blimp is anyway. They think it' a sandwich from Blimpy's or a big balloon from Macy's parade.

How was the pig?

<7500> the pig was awesome, lots of planes, actually quite a few good lookin ladies (mostly moms, but here in the south those moms are in the 18-20 year old range [and that's being generous]) and awesome food. the bonanza that came in after us must have had their parking brake on because they locked em up for a good coupl'a hundid feet. also lots of people along the fence judging everyone's landing. luckily I only had one landing, lots of go-arounds by folks. </7500>

the bonanza that came in after us must have had their parking brake on because they locked em up for a good coupl'a hundid feet.

O contraire my friend. That was a short field demo. :smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

Yea the Pig was built sideways... Always a 90 degree crosswind there... or pretty close to it... Sorry I missed it, but trip to Tampa was superb!

I bet they were using the westerly runway. Never understood why anyone would ever use that runway unless there was an over 10knt wind from the west. He easterly runway has a clear approach and is uphill.

I bet they were using the westerly runway. Never understood why anyone would ever use that runway unless there was an over 10knt wind from the west. He easterly runway has a clear approach and is uphill.

because wind.

that and, who want's an 'easy approach' to a short field that's 36' wide surrounded by trees?

because wind.

that and, who want's an 'easy approach' to a short field that's 36' wide surrounded by trees?
I would land the Grumman on 13 or 31, but I would never take off on 13. In the Venture I will only land 13 and depart 31. I will sit out there and circle while all the sheep land on 31 then make my approach.

I would land the Grumman on 13 or 31, but I would never take off on 13. In the Venture I will only land 13 and depart 31. I will sit out there and circle while all the sheep land on 31 then make my approach.

Thanks for the heads up! I will keep that in mind when I make the trip to BQ1.

There is a big empty field under the approach to 13. You could set it down right on the edge of the pavement if you wanted. There is a 15 foot drop at the threshold of 31 with full size oaks. You leave 1/4 of the runway behind you when you land due to the glide slope required for most airplanes. It's not much of a grade, but 31 is down hill as well. Same goes for a departure, I know I have enough power and climb gradient to take off on 31 even with a modest tail wind and if something happens you have a clearing to set it down in.

Eh, 'keep it in mind', but I've taken off on 13 lots of times, as has everyone else. It's a non issue under most normal circumstances. Honestly I'm a little puzzled at the thought. Make your decision based on the winds and the winds only. That is, assuming you're flying a standard Cessna piper Mooney bo rv type plane.

Even Rolland (the owner) gets a good chuckle out of everyone that taxies down to 13 for takeoff just because the windsock is pointed that way. He flew a Twin Commander out of BQ1 for a long time so he knows the struggle of fast airplanes and short runways.

<7500> the pig was awesome, lots of planes, actually quite a few good lookin ladies (mostly moms, but here in the south those moms are in the 18-20 year old range [and that's being generous]) and awesome food. the bonanza that came in after us must have had their parking brake on because they locked em up for a good coupl'a hundid feet. also lots of people along the fence judging everyone's landing. luckily I only had one landing, lots of go-arounds by folks. </7500>
Did you squawk hijack... that's brilliant in this context.

Also, I really wish I had the photo where I was #2 to land behind the Goodyear blimp doing a touch and go at the home drome....

then I vote for changing to "squawk vfr, several blips in the pattern...".

What's wrong with "target"? That term probably harks back to when and why radar was originally created. :)

What's wrong with "target"? That term probably harks back to when and why radar was originally created. :)
Even worse, how about a "primary"? That will confuse many a pilot, especially those with no radar training.
I never understood why the controllers use phraseology that is unclear to the other side. (should we blame the FAA? :) )

neither are confusing in any way. one is just very conducive to eman chasing down people in the pattern whilst making fighter pilot machine gun noises. which also may spur odd looks from my pax.

"target" is in the AIM. Should be clear to to both sides.;)

neither are confusing in any way. one is just very conducive to eman chasing down people in the pattern whilst making fighter pilot machine gun noises. which also may spur odd looks from my pax.
You can fix those odd looks by installing real machine guns and not have to make the fake noises. ;)

True.
But is "primary" or "I have no secondary"? Those can be a little confusing while you're scanning for traffic. So how many targets are there? :)

Yes. All three definitions are in the PCG. More detail can be found in ch 4 of the AIM.

"Aircraft" would be the preferred method of describing multiple returns, a pilot should familiar with the term "target" as well.

I take it we're not talking about an actual pig......

Discussion involves a barbecue restaurant at an airport in NC, whose identifier was just changed to KBQ1. Here in the South, lest Yankees and Westerners become confused, "barbecue" is a noun meaning slow cooked, smoked pork (thus the pig . . . I've not made it there yet, but I think "Pig" is also in the name of the fine eating establishment). There are, sadly, places in this Great Country where "barbecue" is treated as a verb, meaning "to cook any food on a grill." Poor misguided souls . . . .

Them's fightin words, Hank!

You don't like barbecue? Or should I spell it "barbeque"? The only other controversy I'm aware of is sauce--I favor W. NC / E. TN tomato-based sauce over the E. NC vinegar- or SC mustard-based sauce. Other than the poor misguided souls referenced above . . . . :aureola:

C'mon down, people around here do masterful jobs smoking Boston Butts! Ain't too many Mooney minutes from CLT.

Discussion involves a barbecue restaurant at an airport in NC, whose identifier was just changed to KBQ1. Here in the South, lest Yankees and Westerners become confused, "barbecue" is a noun meaning slow cooked, smoked pork (thus the pig . . . I've not made it there yet, but I think "Pig" is also in the name of the fine eating establishment). There are, sadly, places in this Great Country where "barbecue" is treated as a verb, meaning "to cook any food on a grill." Poor misguided souls . . . .

The Pik-n-Pig. At BQ1 (no K in the designator). About 7 miles north of KSOP

The Pik-n-Pig. At BQ1 (no K in the designator). About 7 miles north of KSOP
I too hear that their BBQ is great.
And no sane pilot in their right mind would stick a K before a 3-letter ID with a digit. We leave that to dumb folks. Such as the uneducated FltPlan people. :D

Great, now you made me crave BBQ! I better run out for lunch or I won't be happy all day.

On Virginia Ave on the north side of ATL airport there used to be a BBQ joint called "The Flying Pig". Good groceries.

You don't like barbecue? Or should I spell it "barbeque"? The only other controversy I'm aware of is sauce--I favor W. NC / E. TN tomato-based sauce over the E. NC vinegar- or SC mustard-based sauce. Other than the poor misguided souls referenced above . . . . :aureola:

C'mon down, people around here do masterful jobs smoking Boston Butts! Ain't too many Mooney minutes from CLT.

Yup tomato base King in Alabama BBQ! Come git ya some.

Back