2 doors + low wings?

Tippers get the same ground cooling. I can taxi full open or partial open as weather dictates.
Yeah....still better than doors...sorry to exclude tippers.

Are there any concerns with wind gusts when it comes to tip-up canopies or gull doors during taxi operations and/or engine run-ups? I'm too cheap for a/c in airplanes, so mastering the poor man's air conditioner is a requisite in my life down here in South Texas.

--break break--

I remember one time back in my DLF days trying to taxi around in my old WarriorII with the door held open, and a gust took it out of my hands. The sliding tab that's supposed to limit its travel broke with the gust as it sheared through the travel stop screw. Ruh roh. So this door pivots all the way against the engine cowling. It was the scariest and funniest stuff I'd done in a boring spam can to that date. It was straight up a re-enactment of Tommy Boy
giphy.gif

with me on the ramp on a two circle fight against my own self, trying to get the wind to swing the door back so I could grab it. Yeah I suppose I could have stopped and shut down, but I needed to get off that damn ramp and on with that 420NM leg that stood between me and rehacking my currency. The ----t we do for
kitten.gif
The struggle is real. :D

Ed,

After looking at our mission we decided on the 112A. The 114 wasn’t worth the additional 55k for fifteen additional knots.

The 55K isn’t just for the increased speed, it’s also for an increase in useful load. Most of the 114A models I’ve seen have 1,100lbs useful loads, which usually means you can fill the seats with 4 adults and enough fuel to go somewhere, unlike the 112.

The 55K isn’t just for the increased speed, it’s also for an increase in useful load. Most of the 114A models I’ve seen have 1,100lbs useful loads, which usually means you can fill the seats with 4 adults and enough fuel to go somewhere, unlike the 112.

Our mission is just the two of us and you can’t out fly your bladder. Besides we’re retired, I’m in no rush. The 112 will work out just fine.

Our mission is just the two of us and you can’t out fly your bladder. Besides we’re retired, I’m in no rush. The 112 will work out just fine.

I didn’t say it was a better fit for your mission, I was just clarifying that the extra market premium was about more than just 15kts cruise speed, it was about a fair amount of utility increase in payload as well.

I own an '82 with a Garmin 430W, KX-165, dual indicators, STEC 50, and powerflow exhaust. It is a great IFR platform with a typical cruise of 116 knots TAS. My wife and I have flown from Dallas to Pensacola to Dover, DE to Columbus to Kansas City. Stable and solid. Instructors during IPC and BFR comment how nice it is for a "light" airplane. Highly recommend for IFR/cross country work...

Are there any concerns with wind gusts when it comes to tip-up canopies or gull doors during taxi operations and/or engine run-ups?

I can taxi with my canopy full open. It's a bit of a visibility limiter so at busier airports I leave it cracked, which gives full visibility and plenty of airflow inside.

Gull wings aren't all created equal. RV10 drivers baby their doors like we A drivers baby our nose wheels.

DA-40 was mentioned before, worth pointing out is has 3 doors! Your back seat occupants get their own door making entry and exit easier.

DA-40 was mentioned before, worth pointing out is has 3 doors! Your back seat occupants get their own door making entry and exit easier.
Uhh... count again. There are 2 sets of hinges, hence 2 doors. The rear door is latched from the bottom, facing the side of the aircraft, and is hinged from the top. The front door is latched by a handle on the side, is facing up, and is hinged from the front of the aircraft. Both are rather bulbous but the front more so than the rear. ;)

Uhh... count again. There are 2 sets of hinges, hence 2 doors. The rear door is latched from the bottom, facing the side of the aircraft, and is hinged from the top. The front door is latched by a handle on the side, is facing up, and is hinged from the front of the aircraft. Both are rather bulbous but the front more so than the rear. ;)
Damn my horrible memory, I just remember the back door, forgot front was a tip up canopy.

Back