1st Time Applying for a First-Class Medical

Elon Garcia

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
appleallthetime
So to summarize my main concern, I am wondering what to do moving towards my first medical exam. I am working towards my private and have to start worrying about my medical, the only issue being that I was hospitalized for ingesting psychedelic mushrooms around a year ago. I have never had a problem with substance in my life however this was one poor choice over 2 years ago, I was wondering if I should even report this on my first medical at all, or even if the AME will be able to view this hospital record through insurance. I am planning on visiting an out-of-network AME however I would like to be honest about this if a SI for a first class is an option at this point. Any feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

- Much thanks

just my $.02 but lying on a federal form and/or to the AME is not a good start to a professional career as a pilot. you say you want to be honest. then be honest and deal with it.

just my $.02 but lying on a federal form and/or to the AME is not a good start to a professional career as a pilot. you say you want to be honest. then be honest and deal with it.

What would dealing with it imply? What would that process look like

Well, hopefully Elon Garcia isn't your real name. If you were actually hospitalized, you'll have to report that. Regardless, you'll have to report all visits to medical professionals in the past three years.

What you need to do is schedule a consultation with a senior AME in your area known for dealing with hard cases. If the AME you call doesn't want to do a consultation, find another one. Disclose everything to him, and go from there.

Well, hopefully Elon Garcia isn't your real name. If you were actually hospitalized, you'll have to report that. Regardless, you'll have to report all visits to medical professionals in the past three years.

What you need to do is schedule a consultation with a senior AME in your area known for dealing with hard cases. If the AME you call doesn't want to do a consultation, find another one. Disclose everything to him, and go from there.

Since this isnt a matter of substance dependence/abuse, would I be good in waiting 3 years and treating it like a normal medical profesional visit? If it comes up could I argue it as an accidental ingestion and nothing to do with substance use?

Just checked in on another thread, say this

You honestly checked yourself into the hospital for eating magic mushrooms?

Sigh

It’s all off insurance, if you gave your name DOB and or insurance info it’s on record, the ship sailed

Also you really went to the hospital for mushrooms? Lol

My issue wouldn’t be the substance as much as the lack of common sense

Good luck and god speed

Just checked in on another thread, say this

You honestly checked yourself into the hospital for eating magic mushrooms?

Sigh

It’s all off insurance, if you have your name DOB and or insurance info it’s on record

Also you really went to the hospital for mushrooms? Lol

My issue wouldn’t be the substance as much as the lack of common sense

Good luck and god speed

Yep I was with some friends, tried it, freaked out and called 911 xD. In retrospect it was a dumb thing I did as a teenager which is now coming back to haunt me. My plan is to report it under the hospitalization section as an accidental ingestion. Thanks for the help

would I be good in waiting 3 years and treating it like a normal medical profesional visit?
Wrong or right, that is a potential choice.

By going for a first class medical as your initial one, are you seeking to make being a pilot (possibly airlines) a career choice?

If that’s correct, waiting 3 years could cause you to miss out on some solid seniority with a future employer and in turn, lots and lots of income.

The suggestion of meeting with an AME for a consultation is a solid one. Be honest and open. Obtain the proper education and guidance.

Thrn proceed with the official application and examination

Since this isnt a matter of substance dependence/abuse, would I be good in waiting 3 years and treating it like a normal medical profesional visit? If it comes up could I argue it as an accidental ingestion and nothing to do with substance use?
You have to report hospital admissions forever. And illegal drug use for two years. Of you were just treated in the ER and not admitted to the hospital, then waiting until you're beyond three years may be an option.

You could even train for Sport Pilot in the meantime so you don't lose the time. But if you consult with an AME, you might find this is surmountable, so that's where I'd start.

Just waiting for the day that Elon is piloting a plane that I’m on (hopefully an A380) and he comes on the PA asking for a pilot :D

You have to report hospital admissions forever. And illegal drug use for two years. Of you were just treated in the ER and not admitted to the hospital, then waiting until you're beyond three years may be an option.

You could even train for Sport Pilot in the meantime so you don't lose the time. But if you consult with an AME, you might find this is surmountable, so that's where I'd start.

This is seeming to me like the best option, I did some digging into the actual paperwork and since I was freaking out and my friends called the ambulance for me, the official reason for the visit was "Accidental/Intentional Ingestion of Hallucinogens". (edit: no diagnosis or drug tests were made) It wasn't an actual admission to the hospital and only a 3 hour observation until the drug passed. Even though waiting the 3 years might set me back I'm willing to do so if It means dodging a potential disqualified/deferral.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back