1991 Glasair RG

N2124v

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
N2124V
Ok, I'm off my rocker but I'm thinking about buying a 1991 Glasair RG but don't know a whole bunch about them. I've got a few hours in a td model. What do I need to know/look out for?

I or II RG? If it's a I RG, shoulder room is gonna be tight. If I could go back in time I would've saved for a II instead of buying a I FT. A III is my ultimate goal.

I own a Lancair, but I don't know a bunch about Glasairs either.
As with all experimentals, the weaknesses tend to show in the fuel and electrical systems so I would give those a close look.

I think it is a II RG. It's pretty much a barn find and priced accordingly.

Turns out it is a Glasair I RG with constant speed prop and an O-320.

Well you can expect cruise around 175 kts on an 0-320.. Like I said though, a tight fit. Mechs who have worked on my plane wonder how I can even get in and out of it.

Print out the list of SBs (LG side brace) from Glasair's website that apply to the I RG. Compare them to the logs of the aircraft to make sure it complies. Outside of that, check the usual stuff. There really shouldn't be any external issues with the fiberglass. The aircraft is made in halves so there's no laying up process like say a Long EZE.

It's a nimble, fast, aerobatic plane that's great for someone single or married with no kids.

Is this the kind which can have the wing extensions?

Forgive my ignorance, but if it is, that's the sweet ride. I had a ride in one with those extensions on, and it was barely sipping fuel while moving pretty well, but not screaming along.

Back