1978 Piper Warrior II for sale

Congrats to John and Steve. I have no doubt the aircraft is as described, knowing what I do about John. I just feel horrid that after all the trouble he went through to get into the sky, John's got to give up his aircraft. I'd have bought it myself but I already got one.

My partner and I have tickets to fly to San Diego this Saturday. Can't wait! Our airplane will be full of every (portable) electronic gadget imaginable -Nflightcam, 2 iPads with Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, and WingX, Nexus 7 running Garmin Pilot, Aera 510, Aera 796, WX/XM weather, ADS-B weather, Sirius/XM music, Spot personal tracker, and whatever else I'm forgetting. I know there are many high time pilots out there who think this trip is routine, but for us it is the trip of a lifetime! Plotting side adventures to the Grand Canyon, and Sedona, Arizona. I've been warned about turbulence and high winds, so our final route decision will dependent on many factors, but no matter what, it will be a blast!

I am the buyer of John's airplane, and I couldn't be happier right now! I've been reading John's post for years, and even though he doesn't know me, I feel like I know him. I do know I am buying this airplane from a man with unquestionable integrity.

Now the fun begins with planning a VFR trip from San Diego to Pontiac, Illinois. I think I've already made up about 5 routes so far. If anybody has advice on the best (safest) way to get across the mountains and desert, plus avoid the many restricted areas along the way, I am open to all suggestions!
Steve, I've done this trip in a number of a/c, and I live in Peoria, IL.
Basically follow I-40 until you get beyond Las Vegan NM, then head northeast :)

Steve, I've done this trip in a number of a/c, and I live in Peoria, IL.
Basically follow I-40 until you get beyond Las Vegan NM, then head northeast :)

Doc, I think these guys should have a good look at the weather and go where and when it will allow.

it is just as easy to follow I-15 to Salt Lake, Rock Springs and east.

Before Steve picked up the plane from me, I had Ted Hazlewood of So Cal Aircraft repair at KSEE go over the entire thing, including the log books to make darn sure it would be safe for the flight across the country. Ted is the guy in this area who administers the A&P testing, and is regarded as one of the best shops to take small aircraft for repair by most of the locals, and the local FSDO.

It cost me a bunch, around three thousand, that included a new wing walk, all ADs met, and a bunch of little nit picking things, but then I just received this from Steve, made it well worth it.

-John

Hi Bob and John,

Well we made it over the sandbox. We are now in Dalhart, Texas. The airplane has performed flawlessly!

We will probably take our time going home, and have one more overnight stop in Kansas (somewhere). This is truly the trip of a lifetime!

I will let you know when we make it home, and thanks again!

Steve

Last edited:
More happy endings! If I ever buy an airplane I hope to get it from a great owner like you.

I was not lying when I told you guys this was one sweet airplane. I just received this from Steve Job who just flew it across the entire country.

-John

Hi John and Bob,

We finally made it home at around 4 PM yesterday afternoon. We spent the previous night in Hutchinson, Kansas - which has a great air and space museum by the way (featuring the original Apollo 13, other Mercury and Gemini capsules, an SR-71, and lots of Soviet space stuff). The weather gods were smiling on us, because we didn't see a cumulus cloud until 50 miles from home. I did, however get to test the planes crosswind handling capabilities in Kansas :)

Believe it or not, we never once had to add any oil, as it always seemed to settle in at 6.5 - 7 quarts, and retained that beautiful amber color of fresh oil.

I will write something up soon for P of A, but thanks again for a great airplane!

Steve

Back