1978 Grumman Tiger, 39.9 AMU's

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Looks to be priced about right, maybe a little high, but not much, for a run out engine. Figure $20k for an engine OH.

That's a bit low.

Not trying to threadjack, but a a prospective someday hopefully airplane owner who rents a Tiger and thinks it's a great airplane, is that right? It's likely MORE than $20k for an overhaul? Sheesh...

Not trying to threadjack, but a a prospective someday hopefully airplane owner who rents a Tiger and thinks it's a great airplane, is that right? It's likely MORE than $20k for an overhaul? Sheesh...
most of the leading shop are around 25+ or -

most of the leading shop are around 25+ or -

Call Precision Engines in KY, or zephyr engines in FL or Popular Grove in IL. I suspect the max would be $25K with new cylinders, ignition system, and a new crank. If the crank can be reused, probably more toward $20K.

There could be an issue with a Tiger sans logs. The center spar, and wings are life limited parts. How do you know how many hours without logs.
12,000 hours - should be able to guesstimate if under that!:rolleyes:

12,000 hours - should be able to guesstimate if under that!:rolleyes:

Don't disagree, but the FAA might, since life limited parts hours need to be tracked.

Ymmv, especially when going to sell at a later date. Old work orders with TT indicated would help, otherwise my opinion is, sell it for parts, or spend the $20-30K for new wings if they can be found.

BBW...

Yes, sadly. And inexplicably.

I observed/helped with the field overhaul of our Lycoming O-540, back in 2002. Back then I paid $18,000ish for the 6-cylinder engine overhaul, and found that there was nothing at all difficult about the disassembly/assembly process with all new cylinders.

The magic is in the crank and camshaft reworking, but even that is ridiculously overpriced compared to automotive stuff.

If only we could just throw in a dime-a-dozen overhauled LS1 engine, right? Throw in a cam, give it a racing tune, and, bam! -- 400 horsepower. lol

If only we could just throw in a dime-a-dozen overhauled LS1 engine, right? Throw in a cam, give it a racing tune, and, bam! -- 400 horsepower. lol
You can, it's just a matter of how much money and paper work you want to pile on it.

You can, it's just a matter of how much money and paper work you want to pile on it.
Yeah, no.

A good friend put a Chevy engine (NOT a modern LS) in his homebuilt. Man, that thing ran sweet, right until it didn't. He was burned over 60% of his body when the header tank burst on impact and ignited.

Now, was it the engine's fault? Who knows? Probably the carburetor, actually -- but it still serves as a cautionary tale on auto engine conversions.

In today's litigious society, and in an ever shrinking GA market, we are probably stuck with Lycosaurs, Continentals, and Rotaxes.

...but it still serves as a cautionary tale on auto engine conversions.

In today's litigious society, and in an ever shrinking GA market, we are probably stuck with Lycosaurs, Continentals, and Rotaxes.

And Austro diesels.

Oh wait. Those are also auto engine conversions.

Yes, sadly. And inexplicably.

I observed/helped with the field overhaul of our Lycoming O-540, back in 2002. Back then I paid $18,000ish for the 6-cylinder engine overhaul, and found that there was nothing at all difficult about the disassembly/assembly process with all new cylinders.

The magic is in the crank and camshaft reworking, but even that is ridiculously overpriced compared to automotive stuff.

When you use Divco/Rick Romans and other good well-known shops for the inspections, a Continental O-200 overhaul costs around 5000USD if you can reuse your crank. 8-9000 for an O-300. Labor should be less than 1000 for the overhaul (two full days) (not including removal/reinstall). Everything above that is aviation tax (read: stuff people bill you because it's for an airplane).
A&Ps will now rip me apart because they are A&Ps.

And Austro diesels.

Oh wait. Those are also auto engine conversions.
Thielert is, Austro isn't.

Say again?

http://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/diesel-aircraft-engines-revolution

Diamond decided to create Austro Engine GmbH, its own company in Germany that buys small and efficient Mercedes A-class diesel engines, pulls off the automotive parts that aren’t needed, bolts on the aviation parts that are and installs them in brand new DA40 and DA42 models built at the Diamond factory in Austria.

When you use Divco/Rick Romans and other good well-known shops for the inspections, a Continental O-200 overhaul costs around 5000USD if you can reuse your crank. 8-9000 for an O-300. Labor should be less than 1000 for the overhaul (two full days) (not including removal/reinstall). Everything above that is aviation tax (read: stuff people bill you because it's for an airplane).
A&Ps will now rip me apart because they are A&Ps.
Good luck with those prices, I can't overhaul mine for that.

Good luck with those prices, I can't overhaul mine for that.

That's roughly what it costs as a minimum, assuming nothing gets red tagged. Mine was just under 9000 in parts but it included a crank and a case repair and new lifters and stuff.

That's roughly what it costs as a minimum, assuming nothing gets red tagged. Mine was just under 9000 in parts but it included a crank and a case repair and new lifters and stuff.
It really is a crap shoot. realizing the age of most of the engines in GA like the 0-320 most have already been overhauled several times. most of the 0-200 cranks are already at their minimum size, the lifters are too short to be ground again. I just priced out the overhaul for my 0-200-A and just the machine work, and new parts was close to 7k. and this is a first run engine, and every thing should be good to go.
add 4500 for a crank, if it goes TU.

It really is a crap shoot. realizing the age of most of the engines in GA like the 0-320 most have already been overhauled several times. most of the 0-200 cranks are already at their minimum size, the lifters are too short to be ground again. I just priced out the overhaul for my 0-200-A and just the machine work, and new parts was close to 7k. and this is a first run engine, and every thing should be good to go.
add 4500 for a crank, if it goes TU.

Crap shoot indeed. But these prices are still much more realistic than shops quoting 15-17000 (for an O-200) BEFORE any unforeseen expenses for an overhaul. Lets face it - any competent mechanic can rebuild one of these engines (we're talking about O200/300/320 kind of stuff here, GTSIO's are different...). They don't need any special tooling/expertise.

Ripoff, the repeating theme in aviation maintenance.

Crap shoot indeed. But these prices are still much more realistic than shops quoting 15-17000 (for an O-200) BEFORE any unforeseen expenses for an overhaul. Lets face it - any competent mechanic can rebuild one of these engines (we're talking about O200/300/320 kind of stuff here, GTSIO's are different...). They don't need any special tooling/expertise.

Ripoff, the repeating theme in aviation maintenance.
Procure a 0-320 overhaul manual, and see the required tools list. and the list of mandatory replacement items.
That's why I don't do them.

Procure a 0-320 overhaul manual, and see the required tools list. and the list of mandatory replacement items.
That's why I don't do them.

320 was a slip on my behalf, I don't know about them. But Continentals are ****-easy.

320 was a slip on my behalf, I don't know about them. But Continentals are ****-easy.
This thread started about a Grumman I thought they all had a Lycoming engines 0-235 or the 0-320 and later a 0-360.

Yea - it looked like a code 7500 to me too. Speaking of which, did anyone else hear about Trump's latest immigration policy?

Back