1975 421B - Toilet / Galley Questions

USAF-LT-G

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
USAF-LT-G
So I just bought a 421B, and I think it might be missing some stuff from the galley and belted potty.

With regards to the toilet, the ring is there, and if I look down it looks like it's just a big empty Metallic box. Is there a bucket or something that's supossed to go in there that can be removed to clean out the toilet? I guess I'm not entirely sure where "ahem" everything goes, and how it gets cleaned. I also noticed there's a little flap / compartment that contains what looks like a funnel attached to a tube. Is that a relief tube? To me it seems like something is missing to collect the waste. Anyone know?

2nd Question is related to the galley, next to the potty. There's a vent on top that appears like you could pour water down there, I'm guessing that's for a coffee pot or something that's no longer there? Underneath, is a removable metal drawer, which I'm guessing is for ice and cold drinks? Anyone know how this is all usually set up? Like I said, seems to be some items missing.

I thought anyone that could afford to operate one of these could afford to pay someone so that you can remain ignorant about how the toilet works. Lol j/k

As for the relief tube, there is no collection, it just flows out of the tube through the bottom of the airplane. You are literally “****ing in the wind”. :)

So I just bought a 421B, and I think it might be missing some stuff from the galley and belted potty.

With regards to the toilet, the ring is there, and if I look down it looks like it's just a big empty Metallic box. Is there a bucket or something that's supossed to go in there that can be removed to clean out the toilet? I guess I'm not entirely sure where "ahem" everything goes, and how it gets cleaned. I also noticed there's a little flap / compartment that contains what looks like a funnel attached to a tube. Is that a relief tube? To me it seems like something is missing to collect the waste. Anyone know?

2nd Question is related to the galley, next to the potty. There's a vent on top that appears like you could pour water down there, I'm guessing that's for a coffee pot or something that's no longer there? Underneath, is a removable metal drawer, which I'm guessing is for ice and cold drinks? Anyone know how this is all usually set up? Like I said, seems to be some items missing.
The best thing for the toilet is find a small bucket that finds the hole and put a plastic bag in it, I don’t think it’s a flushing potty. If it is, always say it’s broken!! The relief tube is a lifesaver, make sure you test it with water before using it!! And flush with a little water after using it. They can clog and you want to know that before you use it! ;) Great airplane, enjoy it! Where are the pictures??

As for the relief tube, there is no collection, it just flows out of the tube through the bottom of the airplane. You are literally “****ing in the wind”. :)

Most POH’s say that you must IMMEDIATELY wash the entire underside of the plane upon landing if you use the relief tube. I think a Gatorade bottle is just easier in that case.

It has been many years, but what I remember is the toilet bucket was very snug and difficult to lift out of the hole and then you have to carry it across the ramp to dump it somewhere. The bottom drawer I would fill with ice and drinks. I do not remember a funnel and tube.

The best thing for the toilet is find a small bucket that finds the hole and put a plastic bag in it, I don’t think it’s a flushing potty. If it is, always say it’s broken!! The relief tube is a lifesaver, make sure you test it with water before using it!! And flush with a little water after using it. They can clog and you want to know that before you use it! ;) Great airplane, enjoy it! Where are the pictures??

great advice! I posted on the twin forum and got a similar reply. Basically said get a bucket, line it with a bag, and put kitty litter in it. Great idea. Wondering if a Home Depot bucket will work or if I need something not as tall. Cessna did have a part number of a bucket I believe.

as for the relief tube! Yay! I finally get to leave a Chem trail and fertilize the clouds!!

Helluva time to pick up a cabin class geared and turbo’d twin. Hope it’s a moneymaker.

That’s not a relief tube. It’s a microphone so you can talk to ATC while on the can.

I flew a C421B for 10yrs.
There is a fitted bucket that goes in the “box” the OP described. However, being thin ABS plastic, it probably deteriorated and cracked, and was thrown away.

On most of my missions, the flight was less than 2hrs, so the toilet was seldom used. The relief tube had a closure that prevented it from whistling in flight.

I kept a half dozen of the scented trash bags in the bottom of the toilet, and another in the pail with about 3” of cat litter. It probably was only used about 5times in the years I flew it. The owner thought it was an elegant, cheap solution to upkeep and maintenance. I kept the fresh cat litter in the hanger in a 5gal plastic bucket. The mechanics thought it was for oil clean up….

I never used the relief tube. But, I did keep an empty 1lb gunpowder bottle (large mouth, like a mayonnaise jar, except dark brown) behind the seat under the oxygen mask. I made sure the Hodgdons label was removed when we flew to the Bahamas….

Helluva time to pick up a cabin class geared and turbo’d twin. Hope it’s a moneymaker.

Money Maker? Never!

as the mechanic/retired charter pilot for Narrangansett Air told me:
It’s an ostentatious display of wealth!
They’re fabulous traveling machines, beautifully balanced controls, but have a dark soul… It’s constantly calculating a unique way to deconstruct and kill you ! I never trusted it.
Should have gotten a Navajo…
And NO!, I’m not for hire!

For the sake of everyone in the cabin is it really worth turning the plane into a 421BM ?

what with the way they whistle under pressure at 17,000’, you’ll never know. And it beats them having a dump in the floor in front of the door! On one occasion it was a 5hr flight from LaGrange,Ga to Snyder,Tx. Ferocious head winds the whole way! Owner and his wife got sick after eating a seafood buffet. Could have been a HUGE mess .

For the sake of everyone in the cabin is it really worth turning the plane into a 421BM ?
That particular issue calls for a precautionary landing!! :oops: In 30 years of owning and flying pressurized twins, I’ve had one friend use the relief tube, he fell in love with it!:D:D:rolleyes: Flying back from Puerto Rico in our Citation, my wife had to pee, and told her to use the potty, she thought it was broken, because that’s what I told everyone that flew with me!! Joke was on me, it was broken, bad pump cost $800!!

Back