1966Cherokee 140 Bulk head STC

Chrisgoesflying

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisgoesflying
We just got our 1966 Cherokee 140 with the 160 HP STC. It has the two backseats in it. At first sight, the backseat area looks really tiny, actually smaller than the baggage area of our Cessna 150. Obviously the Cherokee has a lot more useful load, but space wise, after loading the dog on the backseat, I don’t know where to put the luggage. I can’t find the hat rack stc anywhere online. Apparently with that stc, the back wall would go one station aft, giving you a little bit of space behind the backseats plus the hat rack for random stuff. Can someone point me to where I can find the stc? Also, what else can be done to accommodate a fairly large dog and baggage in the back. Useful load isn’t a concern. It’s space and comfort for the dog while flying.

I can't help with the STC. But is the backseat 2 separate seats? If yes, I'd remove one and put a dog bed on the floor. I don't think 4 full size people and one lab size (guessing) dog will fit in a Cherokee. I think the dog would be much more comfortable, and safer, on the floor than on a seat.

If it’s the fiberglass bulkhead and hat rack you are referring to there is no STC

as it is a a Piper part.

Somewhere in my piles of 337s is a Field Approval to move the existing

close-out panel aft 1 complete bay.

This gives you quite a bit more room.

Technically my 337 would not qualify as “ Approved Data” for you to also

get a Field Approval to do the same.

Your FSDO may not have a problem with it.

Easiest way is if you pm me and I’ll give you N number so you can get FAA cd.

Take the back seats out. Have a new W&B made by your A&P. Then you'll have a 2-seat flying station wagon, while picking up about 15 lbs useful load.

I did this back when I had a PA28-140...then I got some 1/4" plywood, made 2 panels that would cover the back area where the seats were and extend out over where the back seat passengers would have put their feet, covered the panels with carpet that matched the Cherokee carpet, and had them attach with Velcro (the same Velcro that used to hold in the back seat bottoms). Worked awesome, and looked "factory original".

Can someone point me to where I can find the stc?
Quick search of the STC database didn't bring up any "hatrack" hits but did find several under "baggage." SA8PC may be it but its from the late 60s and doesn't appear to be supported. Would require a call the the ACO for more info. That said the most common route I've seen was as mentioned above to remove the rear seats and make a cargo pallet as loose equipment. Saw several designs in other makes that elevated the pet bed on top of where the luggage was stored. Might also try to take it one step further and see if your FSDO will give you a Letter of Authorization (LOA) to remove/install/correct EWB for the seats yourself under your pilot cert. It takes some prep work before submitting it to the FSDO but have assisted with several in past years. Unfortunately its not as popular as it once was.
upload_2021-12-12_8-32-6.png

I had the same 140/160 airplane for 20+ years. Did many, many pilots'n paws flights. Ended up just taking the seats out, and getting some crates. Finally got a "butt plug" fiberglass bulkhead from a boneyard for a couple hundred bucks. Was a nice addition for lighter stuff. Can't remember what it is, but the shelf is placarded for a max weight.

If you need a new headliner, highly recommend doing that and the butt plug at the same time. Funny story...there's a fiberglass removable door to gain access to the tail. On one flight one of the pups worked on it until he got it off, then went 'splorin' back there. Fortunately it was too cold and noisy, so he came right out. I was a bit concerned about what 20 or so lbs of curiousity would have done to w/b back at the tailfeathers.

I can't help with the STC. But is the backseat 2 separate seats? If yes, I'd remove one and put a dog bed on the floor. I don't think 4 full size people and one lab size (guessing) dog will fit in a Cherokee. I think the dog would be much more comfortable, and safer, on the floor than on a seat.

It has two separate seats. I was thinking of taking both out as 99% of the time, it's just my wife and our dog (lab size was a good guess - he's a Samoyed) with me on the plane. For the rare 1% of flights that I take someone else up for a city or something, I can always rent. Having said that, even with the seats out, the space in the back looks tight in this particular Cherokee. I have a ton of useful load but not enough space to fill the load unless I haul bricks.

If it’s the fiberglass bulkhead and hat rack you are referring to there is no STC

as it is a a Piper part.

Somewhere in my piles of 337s is a Field Approval to move the existing

close-out panel aft 1 complete bay.

This gives you quite a bit more room.

Technically my 337 would not qualify as “ Approved Data” for you to also

get a Field Approval to do the same.

Your FSDO may not have a problem with it.

Easiest way is if you pm me and I’ll give you N number so you can get FAA cd.

Yes, the fibreglass one is what I'm referring to. Good to know there is no STC for it. I'm in Canada so U.S. 337 don't apply. I think any aircraft mechanic should be able to sign off on it over here. I just got to find one to buy I guess.

Take the back seats out. Have a new W&B made by your A&P. Then you'll have a 2-seat flying station wagon, while picking up about 15 lbs useful load.

I did this back when I had a PA28-140...then I got some 1/4" plywood, made 2 panels that would cover the back area where the seats were and extend out over where the back seat passengers would have put their feet, covered the panels with carpet that matched the Cherokee carpet, and had them attach with Velcro (the same Velcro that used to hold in the back seat bottoms). Worked awesome, and looked "factory original".

I will probably go that route as well and keep the plane as a two seater, although it would be nice to gain even more space by installing the hat rack instead of the wall I currently have.

Quick search of the STC database didn't bring up any "hatrack" hits but did find several under "baggage." SA8PC may be it but its from the late 60s and doesn't appear to be supported. Would require a call the the ACO for more info. That said the most common route I've seen was as mentioned above to remove the rear seats and make a cargo pallet as loose equipment. Saw several designs in other makes that elevated the pet bed on top of where the luggage was stored. Might also try to take it one step further and see if your FSDO will give you a Letter of Authorization (LOA) to remove/install/correct EWB for the seats yourself under your pilot cert. It takes some prep work before submitting it to the FSDO but have assisted with several in past years. Unfortunately its not as popular as it once was.

Yeah, none of these STCs apply to my vintage I'm afraid.

I had the same 140/160 airplane for 20+ years. Did many, many pilots'n paws flights. Ended up just taking the seats out, and getting some crates. Finally got a "butt plug" fiberglass bulkhead from a boneyard for a couple hundred bucks. Was a nice addition for lighter stuff. Can't remember what it is, but the shelf is placarded for a max weight.

If you need a new headliner, highly recommend doing that and the butt plug at the same time. Funny story...there's a fiberglass removable door to gain access to the tail. On one flight one of the pups worked on it until he got it off, then went 'splorin' back there. Fortunately it was too cold and noisy, so he came right out. I was a bit concerned about what 20 or so lbs of curiousity would have done to w/b back at the tailfeathers.

I would love to do Pilots'n Paws flights as well and finally I have a plane that is capable to do so. When you installed the bulkhead, did your wall move aft by one station? I read somewhere that this would be the case when installing the hat rack.

Question: Would it be legal to move the current wall aft by one station? From what I know, the fuselage of the 1966 Cherokee 140 is pretty much the exact same fuselage as the original Cherokee 160s of similar vintage, just without the baggage door. They made the cabin smaller by simply installing the wall one station forward. That also means that the floor and all should be able to support weight further aft than where my current wall sits. Does anyone of you know if that's possible? Sure, I'd still not have a baggage door and loading the plane would be a PITA but I don't mind that at all, as long as I can increase the floor space in the back so our pub has comfy flights.

Thanks. I figured out legality in Canada. In terms of size, would a 1972 Cherokee 140 have the same dimensions as a 1966 Cherokee 140? I found a hat rack that came out of a 1972 model, while mine is a 1966. From my understanding, the fuselage didn't change in size.

I don't think the hatrack moves the wall aft. Just provides a shelf for light items. I've found that the space behind the rear seat is big enough for two suitcases of proper airline carry on size.

I don't think the hatrack moves the wall aft. Just provides a shelf for light items. I've found that the space behind the rear seat is big enough for two suitcases of proper airline carry on size.

According to my mechanic it does move the wall one station aft. Right now, I sure as heck don't have enough space for two airline carry-on size suitcases. If I did, I wouldn't even need the hat rack. I have barely enough space to stow my journey log and some bottles of oil behind the backseats. My flight school has a Cherokee 140 with the hat rack and you're right, behind the backseats of their Cherokee, you can actually fit some bags. I wonder if I could just move my current wall one station aft as that would solve the problem but so far, general consensus is that I can't do that.

Moving it one station aft would be about a foot. And there will be no floor on which to set bags. I see now. The hat rack bulkhead is recessed, (other than the hat shelf) where the other one is flat. They both attach at the same point.

“General consensus is that I can’t do that.”

True . But you and your A&P/IA might be able to do it!

See #3

My bet it’s closer to 2 feet.

You can check your aircraft.

Look for the vertical row of rivets where next aft bulkhead is located.

Note the 337 does not include drawings so you will need some

fabrication skills for the floor.

Consider that headliner and side panel upholstery extensions are need.

SA2325WE
PA-28-140
Chaffee Aircraft Svc CorporationReplacement of Station 140.6 vinyl bulkhead panel with fiberglass baggage compartment.

SA1437NM
PA-28-140
Plane Plastic, LtdInstallation of a rear cabin shelf and closeout panel.

It could be done with an investigation into part numbers and a review of the tcds. Contacting Piper might be useful (big maybe there).

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/pa-28-140-and-180-rear-seat-room.117176/

I guess Canadian Regs are the same; only different!

Back