1963 Maintenance Manual

Skip

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Monte92
I loaned my 1963 172 Maintenance manual out to a friend. His AP “ lost “ it. He’s willing to pay for the replacement… but after months of looking, we can’t find one. I’ve given up on eBay. I always look there and Craigslist. Yeah I can go online… but it’s nice to have the paper manual. Does anybody know where to start to find one? I’m still irritated that I helped a guy and this happened.

If you can find in online in a PDF (which unless I'm searching for the wrong thing, I found pretty easily), you could always just take that to Kinko's or wherever and have it printed and bound.

Did you try Essco? That's my first stop for manuals. Here's a printed one for sale:

I loaned my 1963 172 Maintenance manual out to a friend. His AP “ lost “ it. He’s willing to pay for the replacement… but after months of looking, we can’t find one. I’ve given up on eBay. I always look there and Craigslist. Yeah I can go online… but it’s nice to have the paper manual. Does anybody know where to start to find one? I’m still irritated that I helped a guy and this happened.
Service manual or parts manual? As mentioned you can find PDF versions of them for free with a little googling and print them yourself/Kinkos/FedEx Print & Ship Center.

D637-13 paper Service Manual is $265 from Cessna. Looks like they charge $22 apiece for the revisions but I've emailed Cessna Piston support in the past and they've emailed them to me free if I asked for them. Or you could just grab the PDF service manual copy from online and just print the revision pages and update the paper manual.

P529-12 paper Illustrated Parts Catalog is also $265 from Cessna. This one includes all the revisions (TR6-12).

I've seen paper copies online (eBay) for less than Cessna.

Thanks all. I’ll try the link before kinkos.

Does anybody know where to start to find one?
Was this a standalone 1963 dated manual? or,
Was it the 1963-1968 manual mentioned above dated 1968 or later? or,
Was it a 100 Series type manual?

Was this a standalone 1963 dated manual? or,
Was it the 1963-1968 manual mentioned above dated 1968 or later? or,
Was it a 100 Series type manual?
'63-'68 100 series covered it. Separate manuals came out in '69.

A totally free version, even with some updates, here:
http://www.aeroelectric.com/Referen.../Cessna_100_Series_1962-1968_MM_D637-1-13.pdf

Typo there in the link; it's '63-'68. But don't change the link or you won't get the manual.

Whether it is totally up to date is another question. A lot of online manuals are not, and a lot of manuals for sale sure aren't either.

Anyone still have microfiche?

I have 3 viewers collecting dust.

'63-'68 100 series covered it. Separate manuals came out in '69.
I was of the understanding Cessna originally used separate model manuals then switched to the 100 series format to save on pubs costs. Regardless, I felt if the OP had an old separate model manual dated 1963 it would be worth more than a copy of a later or updated 100 series manual since the guy lost it.

As to being up to date, its better you have a manual that was published/revised closer to the date of manufacture of the aircraft. Especially for the parts manuals. Cessna and the other OEMs update their manuals on a regular basis and will delete references to older configurations which can send the unsuspecting owner down a slippery slope when using newer or updated manuals.

Except when looking for a part that has been superseded. Now your looking into two or three manuals. The internet has helped find these parts but occasionally it's still a hassle.

Except when looking for a part that has been superseded. Now your looking into two or three manuals. The internet has helped find these parts but occasionally it's still a hassle.
Online, Textron gives you the new part number if the old one has been superseded. Many of the Cessna parts websites have done this for years now as well

It's the updated parts catalogs that have the updated parts listings, not the service manuals.

Updates to service manuals frequently address problems with ageing aircraft. The flat-leaf spring main landing gear legs are a stark example. They are subject to corrosion pitting, especially under the entry step, and pitting creates stress risers that can result in gear breakage. That can total the whole airplane. The underside of that leaf is especially critical, as it is shot-peened and heat-treated, and the pitting tends to penetrate that hardened layer and allow cracking to start.

Sometimes torque specifications change. There was a big reduction in the spec for the engine mount-to-firewall bolts and nuts, presumably because the original torque was crushing the aluminum bracketry behind the firewall and causing cracking. That area is the subject of a service bulletin.

Updates to service manuals frequently address problems with ageing aircraft.
True. But they also frequently drop or change older aircraft maintenance procedures, incorporate SB procedures, rewrite inspection criteria, and other similar changes that are not always a positive move for owners of older variants. The parts manuals are a different issue all together.

In a number of cases the owner is left with either spending money to upgrade his aircraft to match the newer manuals or obtain an older copy of the manuals. This can especially become an issue if you need a CRS to perform some work as they only carry the most current manuals unless you can provide older manuals to work on your aircraft. So hence my recommendations.

Yes I would be very irritated about someone losing your tool. How do you loose something like that? It sounds like someone borrowed it from him and now it is lost.
How does that old snap on saying go? Something's about please don't ask to borrow my tools?
When I was very young I worked for a guy who was a scale mechanic, we worked on all kinds of commercial mechanical scales and then electronic load cell scales.
He did all his own work on his work trucks with the help of factory service manuals. We did trans overhauls, carburetor and even engine overhauls. I learned to read and understand service manuals and if you could do that you could fix most anything.

I took that knowledge to my next job which was maintaining a small fleet of cars and trucks. I explained up front before I took the job that I needed a factory service manual for each vehicle I worked on. So with every new car or truck they bought they made sure to included a service manual. No not owners manual like so many salesman thought we meant. Some trucks came with several manuals, electric, chassis and engine separate manuals, at considable cost. Now 30 years later I have 4-4 drawer filing cabinets filled up with old antique service manuals for mostly trucks we don't own anymore. I also have a stack of old ones for my past personal vehicles.
When I bought my plane I made sure I got the service manual for it that the previous owner had. He balked and I insisted that it came with the deal.
It is my most important tool I have for my plane. It sits at the ready in a convenient place right under a coffee table I use to spread books and instructions out on. I would not lend it out just like I don't lend out my tools after loosing some until took to hart what my snap on tool box sticker says. Please don't ask to borrow my tools. 40 year old pages, I treat them with respect.
(edited)_IMG_3013.png

016_5.jpg

MVC-032S-8.jpg

I wore the covers off of these manuals.
SDC13346.jpg

Good luck, I hope you can find a original some place.

Last edited:
It sits at the ready in a convenient place right under a coffee table I use to spread books and instructions out on. I would not lend it out just like I don't lend out my tools after loosing some until took to hart what my snap on tool box sticker says. Please don't ask to borrow my tools. 40 year old pages, I treat them with respect.

I wore the covers off of these manuals.
SDC13346.jpg

Good luck, I hope you can find a original some place.
Nice, a table saw as a coffee table. I like it. :)

Nice, a table saw as a coffee table. I like it. :)
Thanks,
The table saw is in my home shop, the coffee table is at the hangar and that black binder underneath is the bible for my plane. I also have a book shelf with other publications related to aviation. Although I haven't made much time to read them as I have been flying everyday since Aug 2.
IMG_2731.JPG

It is my most important tool I have for my plane. It sits at the ready in a convenient place right under a coffee table I use to spread books and instructions out on.
I learned a long time ago that information is power. Too many people, including mechanics, work on stuff without the information nearby. I spent a lot of expensive time fixing their screwups in various airplanes.

Back