1957 Cessna 182A Tail Section Question

RJMVMI1998

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rjmvmi1998
I have been flying a Cessna 182A model now for two years. There has always been something I have noticed on my walk around, but assumed it was normal due to the trim mechanism of the horizontal stabilizer. I was hoping that I can find someone with some expertise on the early Cessna 182A models where the entire horizontal stabilizer moves up and down to trim the airplane.
My question; I have noticed that if you grab the horizontal stabilizer on either side, and gently try and rock in from front to back, it moves maybe a quarter of an inch from front to back. I realize that there has to be a pivot point somewhere in the tail section for the trim mechanism to work. Is it normal to have a small amount of movement forward and backwards in the horizontal stabilizer? Just to be clear, there is no up and down play, just forward and aft. I eagerly await any responses

Mine moves slightly too, but I've never measured the range of motion. The bushings in the stab mount assembly may be worn. They require replacement from time to time.

I have been flying a Cessna 182A model now for two years. There has always been something I have noticed on my walk around, but assumed it was normal due to the trim mechanism of the horizontal stabilizer. I was hoping that I can find someone with some expertise on the early Cessna 182A models where the entire horizontal stabilizer moves up and down to trim the airplane.
My question; I have noticed that if you grab the horizontal stabilizer on either side, and gently try and rock in from front to back, it moves maybe a quarter of an inch from front to back. I realize that there has to be a pivot point somewhere in the tail section for the trim mechanism to work. Is it normal to have a small amount of movement forward and backwards in the horizontal stabilizer? Just to be clear, there is no up and down play, just forward and aft. I eagerly await any responses

I think .250" is worth having the assembly inspected.

Just saw a blurb by the 185 specialty shop in Colorado on this subject. They say that lateral play in the stab can be caused by bad bearings in the jackscrews, which are very expensive to replace and should be maintained carefully.

Wayne, interesting new avatar. Is there some joke about water-tight-ness or frog-wings that I missed? :)

Somebody said we should post a picture for the holidays. I couldn't find one so I picked as close a likeness as possible.
Wayne, interesting new avatar. Is there some joke about water-tight-ness or frog-wings that I missed? :)

I am new to this form and know this is an older post but I am looking to purchase a 57 c182a model and on my pre purchase discovered a very small lets call it 1/8 to 1/4 inch up and down play in the horizontal stabilizer two a&p say its ok or normal one does not think there should be any, all input here would be appreciated.
thank you
Josh

I am new to this form and know this is an older post but I am looking to purchase a 57 c182a model and on my pre purchase discovered a very small lets call it 1/8 to 1/4 inch up and down play in the horizontal stabilizer two a&p say its ok or normal one does not think there should be any, all input here would be appreciated.
Not enough info. But if it is the same stabilizer trim as in the original post of this thread it depends where those measurements are taken. If I recall, the play should be checked at the stab forward spar next to the fuselage. If that play is checked at any other place it will not be accurate. But if it was checked at the proper location I believe the allowable play is much less than
an 1/8th inch.

Back