190 Kts From a Rotax 912ULS !

Art VanDelay

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Art VanDelay
Ok actually only 188.9kts but that's still pretty good for 100hp.

This is in a Swiss made retractable two place carbon fiber airplane. Cockpit is 48" wide - which I think is even wider than a C-206.

Would be nice if something like this could be certified in the US. A 200mph cruiser on a rotax would be a killer X-C machine for 2 people.

"What I Thought All Planes Were Like, Before I Found Out", a book by Stevie.

Nice. That ought to tell you something about drag reduction as compared to bolting on a bigger motor. ;)

Nauga,
and his excess power

23:1 glide ratio! Wow. And I thought some of the EU light sports with a 17:1 were floaty. 105 knot cruise at 1.5 gph is mind boggling. Clearly it's a "clean" aircraft, but sadly it'll never make it here as a LSA due to the retractable gear.

Nice. That ought to tell you something about drag reduction as compared to bolting on a bigger motor. ;)

Nauga,
and his excess power

Now I'd like to see a version of this aircraft with a 200 hp motor! Drag reduction AND horsepower, now we're talking! I like eating the cake that I have, why else would I have it?

:)

Then one with a 240 hp, and so forth, until I get the numbers I want!

Through a modified solex turbine in it

I would so buy that airplane! It's exactly what I need and want! America is so far behind. :( Thanks FAA! Thanks lawyers! :mad:

Hm, 653lbs empty, 1040lbs MTOW, 22.72gal usable. The math works out to be 250lbs in the cabin after you fill up the tanks. Subtract out some for oil, tools, tie-downs, survival gear, flight bag and overnight luggage and it would be a really good idea for the pilot to be under 200lbs without pax.

23:1 glide ratio! Wow. And I thought some of the EU light sports with a 17:1 were floaty. 105 knot cruise at 1.5 gph is mind boggling. Clearly it's a "clean" aircraft, but sadly it'll never make it here as a LSA due to the retractable gear.

You could bring it over here right now as Experimental Exhibition.

Hm, 653lbs empty, 1040lbs MTOW, 22.72gal usable. The math works out to be 250lbs in the cabin after you fill up the tanks. Subtract out some for oil, tools, tie-downs, survival gear, flight bag and overnight luggage and it would be a really good idea for the pilot to be under 200lbs without pax.

Not necessarily - that MTOW applies to some European countries. If you click on downloads, US UK Spec sheet you see an MTOW of 1213.

#1 Don't fill up the tanks
#2 Tie-downs and a handful of basic hand tools can't be more than 5-7lbs or so.
#3 Survival gear? Unless I'm making a trip over open water or particularly hostile terrain, I'll just wear my survival gear.

I'd think you could fit 2-200lb'ers in there without much problem if you leave a bit of fuel behind.

I'd think you could fit 2-200lb'ers in there without much problem if you leave a bit of fuel behind.

You only have 130lbs of fuel to begin with. Don't get your hopes up. :)

Not necessarily - that MTOW applies to some European countries. If you click on downloads, US UK Spec sheet you see an MTOW of 1213.
A 170lb difference is good. Some of you guys might still want to hit the gym, though. ;)

Yeah, it's too bad they didn't get the memo from America's aviation forums that retractable gear in a piston single is obsolete and no longer useful to make a plane more efficient. :rolleyes:

The amazing thing about this plane isn't the 180+ knots on 100hp, or the 23:1 glide ratio. The amazing thing is the flaps. It can do the 180kts and the 23:1 glide and still stall at 30kts!! This airplane can cruise a hell of a lot faster than my airplane, glide a hell of a lot further than my airplane and land a hell of a lot slower than my airplane. All this and burn a hell of a lot less gph than my airplane and use MOGAS to boot!

FAA, please wake up!! We're falling behind.

Back