19 Months

skippers

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
skippers
IMG_3817.jpg IMG_0536.JPG
After waiting for a a year and a half, our Stemme finally ships from Germany next week. Will pick up in South Carolina and fly back to Bozeman Montana. Should be an interesting trip against the winds.

Nice. Is that the self propelled one, or are you going to be looking for tows the whole way?

Tim

You are based at Bozeman? I fly into there a few times a year for work. What a beautiful area to fly something like that around! Have fun with it.

Looks like it has a L/R/Both mag switch below and to the right of the tow release. I'd guess it's a motor glider.

Looks like it has a L/R/Both mag switch below and to the right of the tow release. I'd guess it's a motor glider.

Yup. A really interesting one. Engine behind the cabin, a driveshaft into the nose and a retractable nose-cone to cover the folding propeller. 50/1 glide ratio, self-start capable. The proof that you 'can have it all'.

http://www.stemme.com/s10.html

Last edited:
Nice. Is that the self propelled one, or are you going to be looking for tows the whole way?

Tim
That sounds like an awesome trip!
Powered by Rotax and would like to use mogas if possible. Looking to do about 3 500 mile legs. Have looked at the map for mogas and seems rather sparse. Any inside info on airports with mogas on roughly a 330 degree heading out of Columbia South Carolina? Range can be up to 900 miles if needed but my body really won't tolerate that well. Thanks

That is the canopy release, no towing allowed in the Stemme.

Powered by Rotax and would like to use mogas if possible. Looking to do about 3 500 mile legs. Have looked at the map for mogas and seems rather sparse. Any inside info on airports with mogas on roughly a 330 degree heading out of Columbia South Carolina? Range can be up to 900 miles if needed but my body really won't tolerate that well. Thanks

This is the only site I know of. I have never verified it.
http://www.flyunleaded.com/mapusairports.html

Tim

Not directly on your route, Carrollton, GA, KCTJ, has mogas at the field.

What a cool plane!

It really got my attention at Sun 'n' Fun:

34117370825_43f05a3faa_z.jpg

If it hasn't been mentioned, the prop emerges from that slot in the nosecone.

What deterred me was the practical implications of the wingspan, as regards taxiing and hangaring. But given the right mission profile, it's hard to imagine anything cooler.

If you find yourself near Copperhill, TN (1A3) on your way home, stop by and if I'm around I can provide 93 octane ethanol-free for your travels. And maybe do lunch!

A very cool plane, congratulations!

Wingspan... a friend has one locally. He has to fold the outer wing panels before he can fit on the taxiway. But at least he can.

Maybe some of the folks on here who live along your route can bring you gas in 5 gallon cans if you need to make a stop at a field without mogas. Correct me if I'm wrong but ethanol-free is not required, correct?

Btw, flying one of those is on my bucket list.

Maybe some of the folks on here who live along your route can bring you gas in 5 gallon cans if you need to make a stop at a field without mogas. Correct me if I'm wrong but ethanol-free is not required, correct?

Btw, flying one of those is on my bucket list.
Problem is 10% will liquify the seals etc in the gas tanks. AV gas is OK but lead build up will use Decalin and Sport Oil 4 which reduces the build up and change the oil at 25 hour intervals.

Awesome machine! Congrats.

Didn't look at your route specifically, but Mexico, MO has mogas if it's close enough to your route. One of our regular stops on the way to and from KOSH. Nice little airport.

Awesome machine! Congrats.

Didn't look at your route specifically, but Mexico, MO has mogas if it's close enough to your route. One of our regular stops on the way to and from KOSH. Nice little airport.
Thank you about 10 miles off my projected course line

Back