182 vs Dakota

It is placarded on his plane but seems to not be required

Lots of that happens, It's irrelevant. If you learn to judge your margin over stall by the feel of the yoke, the ASI is irrelevant on final.

As for Dakota vs 182 for the OP, I cannot stress enough that the choice should lie with which his wife prefers. Both planes do the exact same job just fine, the over riding difference should be which his wife prefers, that will have the greatest effect on the enjoyment per dollar ratio.

Let's be real.

Who here is such a great pilot that they are holding exactly on 68 or 72 knots on short final in anything other then the smoothest conditions imaginable?

It's not even worth arguing over.

Let's be real.

Who here is such a great pilot that they are holding exactly on 68 or 72 knots on short final in anything other then the smoothest conditions imaginable?

Every one of my approaches is within a knot or two of desired speed because I trim for the speed I want on final. It's very easy to maintain a stable speed when it's the speed the aircraft is seeking and will assume hands off. All the way down final I am tweeking in a bit of trim to slow down, and adjusting the power to maintain vertical profile. Even on a bumpy day, little intervention is required that would alter the speed profile.

Last edited:
Every one of my approaches is within a knot or two of desired speed

Bwahahahahahaha!

Oh, sorry...was that a serious post? I thought you were doing standup. ;)

I've got thousands of landings, can grease 'em nearly every time, can land on one wheel or the other first, if requested -- but I would never make such an absurd statement.

You have a target speed, aim for it, and then play the gusts, which down here on the coast are usually significant. Airspeed indication will be anywhere from 5 to 10 knots different at any point on final, as we play the ever-changing wind, with the aim to be stable as you come over the numbers. Flare, squeak, done.

Within "1 or 2 knots" is pure fantasy.

Last edited:
If you trim for a speed and don't push or pull on the yoke/stick, the plane will stick to that speed, simple as that.

If you trim for a speed and don't push or pull on the yoke/stick, the plane will stick to that speed, simple as that.
I don't know what the heck you fly, but it must be some heavy iron. A 737?

In the planes I fly, gusts of wind and turbulence will cause airspeed to fluctuate 5 to 10 knots on final. You react, and bring it back in the direction of your target speed.

A fluctuation of just 1 to 2 knots is not possible, except perhaps on the absolute calmest of days.

In the planes I fly, gusts of wind and turbulence will cause airspeed to fluctuate 5 to 10 knots on final. You react, and bring it back in the direction of your target speed.

A fluctuation of just 1 to 2 knots is not possible, except perhaps on the absolute calmest of days.
Com on Jay, this is Henning you're talking to, The most interesting man in the World takes lessons from him.

"....his approach speeds are measured in nuts....he is The most interesting man in the world.."
:)
Just kidding Henning...com'on, 2 knots variation ?

"....his approach speeds are measured in nuts....he is The most interesting man in the world.."
:)
Just kidding Henning...com'on, 2 knots variation ?

He flies to ATP+ standards

They may fluctuate, however they always fall back to the mean trim speed with no intervention. It's ground speed that fluxuates, not airspeed. Ground speed is only relevant at the moment of touch down, and you adjust for that in the flare.

If the person in DC wants to go up, I'll gladly demonstrate.

I will say anyone that has mooney time knows all too well what an extra 5 kts across the numbers does to you

They may fluctuate, however they always fall back to the mean trim speed with no intervention. It's ground speed that fluxuates, not airspeed. Ground speed is only relevant at the moment of touch down, and you adjust for that in the flare.

If the person in DC wants to go up, I'll gladly demonstrate.

Ah, now reality has almost been restored. Yes, we trim to an airspeed, and, barring disturbances, the plane will fly that airspeed.

However, the disturbances in normal conditions here induce fluctuations from 5 to 10 knots, and it is most certainly indicated AIRspeed that is fluctuating, as well as ground speed.

Now, we can start a new discussion of how much of that is instrument error due to pitot placement, or any of a wide range of possible influences on what your airspeed indicator is displaying, but it is most certainly displaying a variance of from 5 to 10 knots at various points.

I just landed and verified this. We have a significant gulf breeze this evening (which is totally normal). As I slid down final, my airspeed varied from 72 to 77 knots, as I adjusted for the changing wind, which was extremely smooth (again, very normal here; it can be whistling at 30 knots, yet still be perfectly smooth, thanks to that wind not having hit any obstacles for 800 miles) but varied with altitude.

Once I've got the landing assured, my eyes are outside, so I don't know my touchdown speed, but it was smooth and with a very short rollout. (The RV-8A is an absolutely simple plane to land well. The only planes I've flown that landed easier were King Airs and an Ercoupes...)

Sorry, OP -- didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Let's be real.

Yeah, but...

But...

...without all the pedantic personalities...worse yet with extreme superiority complexes...the post count here would be severely diminished.

:goofy:

Yeah, but...

But...

...without all the pedantic personalities...worse yet with extreme superiority complexes...the post count here would be severely diminished.

:goofy:

Ohhh... That's his post count, not flight hours.... :wink2:

You can also put a PA-28 on floats, but they look funny that way.
Yes, but not so humorous as you drift toward a dock on the left side ...

pa-28s-160_1962.jpg

I think the only Cherokees that have been approved on floats are the PA-28-160 and 180 (not 235 or 236), and the PA-32-300.

After flying both not extensively, but enough to feel them out under different conditions, I tend to prefer the 182. Both have their positives and negatives. Like everyone else has said, it's a Ford vs Chevy thing. You really should fly both, although in my opinion, they just feel like a heavier 172 and warrior.

I do like the 182 much better loaded up though. Both will handle the weight, but the Skylane feels a bit more stable when heavy to me.

Oh yeah, and the panel is rather tall, but I'm 5'7 and it doesn't really bother me

Back