182 Spinner

LesGawlik

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Good Guy
I have a 182E O470R. It has the blunt spinner. I would like to replace the spinner with a more modern conical spinner.

I tried Knots-2U and Pilotshop.com. There are spinners for every other model besides the E. Does anyone know where I could get a conical spinner for the E?

Aren’t they prop or engine specific, rather than airframe specific? Try your prop Mfg for sourcing?

One would think, but this is the response I received.

"Thank you for reaching out to Pilotshop.com.

"That is only approved for Cessna 182H, 182J, 182K, 182L, 182M, 182N, 182P, 182Q, 182R with constant speed McCauley props. That is the only spinner I show for the 182 in our system."

We have the conical design on our 182P.

Unfortunately no data immediately at hand on who made it or part number.

Try Univair or the prop manufacturer.

I have tried every parts seller I could find. I am awaiting a response from McCauley. The answer is exactly the same. Our spinners fit H and newer, blah blah blah. Try asking blah blah blah.

If it's the same engine and prop as other 182s, I would think the replacing the back plate and the spinner would be simple. Could that be done with a field approval?

I need an old school A&P. The kind that drives a beat-up van, has a three day stubble and grease under his nails. If I find that guy, he'll know.

I need an old school A&P. The kind that drives a beat-up van, has a three day stubble and grease under his nails. If I find that guy, he'll know.
Shouldn’t be hard to find! :p

What prop do you have? The TCDS (or STC for a separately approved prop) will list the approved prop/spinner combinations.

I have tried every parts seller I could find.
Try contacting companies that manufacture spinners vs parts vendors. There are several out there that offer 3rd party solutions to various aircraft. I cant post any links at the moment but search under prop spinner manufacture. Just keep in mind some spinners are part of a "certified" install and some are not. Perhaps your specific spinner is part of the cowling cooling or prop requirement? As to pursuing a alteration sure it can be done if needed.

Don't we all want a little extra length? Okay, maybe not you, Mr. Jeremy, but the rest of us.

I have a 182E O470R. It has the blunt spinner. I would like to replace the spinner with a more modern conical spinner.

I tried Knots-2U and Pilotshop.com. There are spinners for every other model besides the E. Does anyone know where I could get a conical spinner for the E?
I have a 182E and in 2019 upgraded the engine to Pponk with a three blade prop it came with a new conical spinner

I think our English brethren would say that's like burnin' down the house to get a bit o' toast...

But thanks for the info. I think there might be an engine/prop upgrade that allows for the upgrade. Seems nuts, because I suspect the backplates and screw holes are the same.

For those interested, McCauley Support provided what I believe to be the definitive answer.

"Thank you for contacting McCauley Propeller Systems.

The 0752004 spinner defined by the aircraft IPC for the 182E is the ‘blunt’ style spinner approved via the aircraft TC installation of the propeller.

McCauley’s STC SA01033CH approves the McCauley D-7519-1 spinner assembly with the 2A34C203/90DCA-8 propeller model on the 182E. The D-7519-1 is a longer/pointed design and can be seen depicted in drawing D-60290.

If you already have a C203 prop installed, you can purchase the spinner assembly and apply the installation of the propeller and spinner per the McCauley STC. I’ve attached the STC and relevant data for your reference and usage should you choose."

You're going to find that there are a few parts that are unique to the 182 E and F models. Some parts are found only on the 'E' (1962) alone. This was the first year of the 'wide body' 182, and Cessna made quite a few changes in rapid succession through the 60's. For example, minor changes to the carb heat/cabin heat system on the F model mean that the E model muffler is unique to that model year even though the engine, exhaust system and airframe are virtually the same.

As others have found, the spinner is more dependent on the prop you have installed than the airframe. I'm not aware of any aftermarket replacement spinners for the stock prop on the E model. The Cessna part number is all you can use, unless you change the prop.

C.

Back