182 RG Landing Gear Light Not Illuminating

Derald Madson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
dmadson3
Hi all. I recently purchased a 182 RG and I've been having trouble with getting the landing gear safe light to illuminate. This was a known issue when I purchased the plane and the previous owner helped do some work on the light and it was working properly for about 4 hours of flight time, but I was taxiing on the ground my previous flight and the "check landing gear" annunciator came on and the green gear safe light went out. I was able to get the light to come back on by resetting the gear pump circuit breaker. On approach at our destination I had to screw the light all the way to the shuttered closed position and then back to the left before it would illuminate. It seems like it eventually illuminates if you wiggle the light around or reset the gear pump circuit breaker.

Do ya'll have any idea what may be causing the issue? The previous owner believed the issue was because the light didn't have a proper ground to the panel. Should I just screw it a bit tighter and/or add some more metal to the back of it?

This was a known issue when I purchased the plane and the previous owner helped do some work on the light
The previous owner believed the issue was because the light didn't have a proper ground to the panel.
Curious. Did the previous owner have a mechanic ensure the system was rigged properly and function-checked it on jacks prior to his light theory?

The system is pretty simple. When the gear is down 3 switches in series are closed to light the gear down indicator, but switches go bad and need replacement. Since you can manipulate the eyebrow adjustment and the lamp will light, I would remove it, replace the lamp, inspect with lamp holder and fixture and clean the fixture with contact cleaner. Use a soft tooth brush to clean threads where the fixture screws in.

Also did you know you can check the gear audible warning by holding in the gear down light? You might press it in a few times when using the cleaner.

if that doesn’t solve the issue you will need profession help.

Also is is a link to a parts manual. https://support.cessna.com/docs/custsupt/cessnasupport/IPCFiles/P701-12.pdf

Last edited:
Oxidized contacts on the bottom of the bulb and in the socket is the usual trouble. If those are clean you shouldn't be getting the light to come on by fiddling with the light. Resetting the pump breaker and having the light come on suggests misrigging of the switches. They can be fussy, and they can get oil and dirt in them.

The bulb is a GE 327. MS25237-327.

Old airplanes are fun. Everything ages, even in low-time, well-hangared airplanes.

Cessna parts manuals are almost hopeless for the electrical system. The service manual is the place to go.

upload_2021-9-26_10-44-31.png

upload_2021-9-26_10-48-13.png

upload_2021-9-26_10-45-51.png

Last edited:
Back