182 Nose strut leaking fluid

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
image.jpeg

I wiped the piston clean, taxied a little, and came back. This is what it looks like. It is extended about "5 fingers" as it sits without my assistance. Too much pressure? Not enough? Bad seal?

Yep, relatively easy. Need to keep it dust free. And, depending upon the condition of the plating, if it's deeply scored or damaged, it will need an overhaul.

I see machining marks on the upper area of that strut barrel. If you can feel them with a fingernail, the O-ring won't seal that area well at all.

The oil should be red or reddish. It looks black. Someone put the wrong stuff in it, maybe? Wrong fluids tend to wreck rubber parts early.

I'll have to order a kit.

The front middle of the piston looks a little smoother than the rest.

Yeah, looks like muddy water, but sticky like maple syrup.

I noticed the machining marks, but thought it was normal. Will look at other planes to compare the difference.

Thanks for all the input.

Top of the nose wheel fairing looks all cracked out?

I would also be doing something with that fairing while apart.

Top of the nose wheel fairing looks all cracked out?

I would also be doing something with that fairing while apart.

It's missing a 1" semicircle piece from the 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock position. The rest is fine. This is not a stock Cessna wheel pant/fairing, it's part of a Davids Speed Kit that was installed in 1987. Looks like it might have been a tow bar incident that caused it.

I polished out the years of scuffs on it this weekend, looks much better (rubbing compound, medium duty paint cleaner, Xymol).

This bird needs some cosmetic TLC. Just some elbow grease and a buffer are rewinding the clock about 20 years. Polished upper cowling, spinner, and canards the last few weeks, started on right wing now.

Cleaning interior bit by bit as time allows. Cracked dash panel will be replaced sometime soon.

Pitot/static leaks repaired 2 weeks ago. Ordered a new battery tonight (8 year old Concorde gave it up last weekend). Nose strut gets serviced in 2 weeks. We'll see what breaks next.

Last edited:
83282 is as good as 5606 or Skydrol and is less flammable. It works well but you can use whatever your mechanic has on hand. Otherwise you've got a Cessna so this is something you'll have to do occasionally. One more problem that occurs over time is that the stop on the scissor assembly will wear allowing the strut to drop too far which allows the nitrogen and oil to leak out in flight. Everything looks great til you take off. When you return to land the struts empty again. Its something else to check.....

Frank

Those machine marks might just be oil, I would clean the oil off and see if they are still there. Hard to tell from a picture.

Mechanic looked at machining marks and said it was not unusual. He showed me where it was not really ridged. Looks worse than it is.

One more problem that occurs over time is that the stop on the scissor assembly will wear allowing the strut to drop too far which allows the nitrogen and oil to leak out in flight. Everything looks great til you take off. When you return to land the struts empty again. Its something else to check.....

Frank
That scissor assembly has to be nearly straightened right out to let the fluid and gas escape. A worn stop won't do it. I've repaired many of these things.
And no Skydrol or anything but 5606. There are many different seal compounds and they need compatible fluids. $ub$titution$ are expen$ive.

83282 is compatible and a direct substitution. Wasn't sure about skydrol. Having repaired a number of worn stops I think it is a common problem on the older Cessnas. Maybe just not something you've seen. It doesn't take as much wear as you think.
Frank

Back