182 Hot start

coloradobluesky

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
coloradobluesky
Its a normally aspirated 2006 182 with fuel injection. Guy at the airport couldnt start it. Sounded flooded to me. I talked to him and he said he was following the hot start procedure in the manual. What is that? Anyone know? A lot of engines have idiosychrasies. Anyone know best alternate hot start procedure for this airplane? I talked to him but didnt really know what to tell him to do. He seemed to be trying the right things.

On my Lycoming 540 aj-1a (99 t206h) throttle quarter/half inch in, mix off, boost pump off. Crank starter then after 2 seconds go full mix and boost pump on. Keep cranking and it always starts within 4-5 seconds. If u shut off the boost too quick she'll start to stumble after about 10 seconds of idling. Just flip it back on before it dies.
I'm a newbie w only about 250 hrs in it but after trying many different techniques, this is what works for me and my bird.
Except that day last July at PGA when I had forgotten to turn the fuel switch back on after refueling. Really impressed the lineman w my skills

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aiiight

Method one for hot start.

Mixture in, pumps on, advance throttle till fuel flow stabilizes.

Fuel pumps off

Mixture rich

Throttle all the way out

Crank as you slowly advance the throttle

Method two, if one fails.

Mixture in, pumps on, advance throttle till fuel flow stabilizes

Fuel pumps off

Mixture ICO

Full throttle

Crank till it starts, once it starts, mixture rich and throttle to idle.

This has worked for me on IO550s, IO520s and IO360s.

oh geeze, there are as many opinions on hot starting fuel injected airplanes as there are fuel injected airplanes.

Does pulling the mixture all the way out stop all fuel flow? Or do you need the pump off too?

If you eliminate fuel with the mixture (and pump off?), then full thottle gives full air, which you want if its flooded.

Does pulling the mixture all the way out stop all fuel flow? Or do you need the pump off too?

If you eliminate fuel with the mixture (and pump off?), then full thottle gives full air, which you want if its flooded.

I'm not sure what type of engine you have. I can't say what Lycoming suggests but The Continental manual for an IO520 recomends:
1) Mixture to Cut Off
2) Throttle full open
3) Boost pump on for 20 seconds ( I actually do it for a minute)
4)Boost pump off mixuture full rich
5) Advance throttle 1/4 inch and Boost pump back advancing throttle to get about 10 gph on flow meter.
6) Boost pump back off
7) Crank starter while advancing throttle until engine comes to life.

As someone above said there are as many different methods as there are opinions.

To answer your question, in a conti pulling the mixture to cut off should be sufficient to cut off the flow to the engine.

Also in case you weren't aware the pupose of running the boost pump wiht the mixutre cut off is to run colder fuel through the fuel lines ( without going into the engine) thus hopefully condensing the fuel vapors in the fuel line back into liquid form.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what type of engine you have. I can't say what Lycoming suggests but The Continental manual for an IO520 recomends:
1) Mixture Full Rich
2) Throttle closed
5) Advance throttle 1/4 inch and Boost pump back advancing throttle to get about 10 gph on flow meter.
6) Boost pump back off

As someone above said there are as many different methods as there are opinions.

Another method which works well on my TSIO-360:
1) Mixture closed
2) Throttle closed
3) Boost pump on low for 60 seconds, run it until pressure stabilizes (this step flushes any vaporized fuel back to the tanks through the fuel return line)
4) Boost pump off mixuture off throttle wide open
5) Crank engine, advance mixture until engine fires, close throttle to normal idle while setting mixture to ground idle (usually have to run rich for a few seconds)

This method does require cranking a little longer than a cold start which is usually only 2 or 4 blades. If I could find a faster and equally reliable method that would be great.

Last edited:

1) Mixture Full Rich

2) Throttle closed

6) Boost pump back off

To answer your question, in a conti pulling the mixture to cut off should be sufficient to cut off the flow to the engine.

Also in case you weren't aware the pupose of running the boost pump wiht the mixutre cut off is to run colder fuel through the fuel lines ( without going into the engine) thus hopefully condensing the fuel vapors in the fuel line back into liquid form.

Adam, did you mean to say Mixture Cut Off for step one?

Assuming so, that is pretty much the same hot start procedure for the B55 Baron (IO-470s). I've never had trouble using that method in the Baron.

Vapor locked? Heat soak can do that for some injected engines. The cure is either to wait an hour, or run the boost pump until the fuel flow is smooth, flood the crap out of it, then perform a flooded start.

Vapor locked? Heat soak can do that for some injected engines. The cure is either to wait an hour, or run the boost pump until the fuel flow is smooth, flood the crap out of it, then perform a flooded start.

No need to flood a Conti since they return fuel to the tanks. Just circulate cool fuel into the system then start the engine by bringing the mixture up while cranking.

Continental and Lycoming fuel injection systems are different. As such, hot start techniques for the two are different. Using a Continental start technique on a Lycoming won't work and vice versa. Well, it might work, but if it does it's luck.

On Lycomings, the procedure that works 99% of the time:

1) Throttle forward, mixture ICO
2) Fuel pump on (leave it on)
3) Mixture forward for a few seconds (3-4 usually), then back to ICO
4) Crank engine until it catches. Then push the mixture in and pull the throttle back. It takes a few tries before you perfect the timing on this, but it works great.

Leaving the fuel pump on is an important part of the trick, because it keeps pressure going to the mechanical fuel pump to prevent that fuel from turning to vapor.

I did this for close to 1000 hours on my Aztec (basically the same engines as the 182). Never failed. When I got the thing I was told "These things are a bear to hot start." Not if you use the right procedure.

No need to flood a Conti since they return fuel to the tanks. Just circulate cool fuel into the system then start the engine by bringing the mixture up while cranking.

I've never done the "traditional" Continental hot start on the 310, but I've always heard it works well. My method for Continentals:

1) Prime like normal (for me it's everything full rich, prime for a few seconds)
2) With the throttle fully open and mixture rich still, crank and pull the throttle back slowly (at a rate of about 5 seconds full throttle to idle)
3) By the time you get to about 1/4 throttle, it should catch

On some engines it works better of the mixture is a hair off of full rich.

Continental and Lycoming fuel injection systems are different. As such, hot start techniques for the two are different. Using a Continental start technique on a Lycoming won't work and vice versa. Well, it might work, but if it does it's luck.

On Lycomings, the procedure that works 99% of the time:

1) Throttle forward, mixture ICO
2) Fuel pump on (leave it on)
3) Mixture forward for a few seconds (3-4 usually), then back to ICO
4) Crank engine until it catches. Then push the mixture in and pull the throttle back. It takes a few tries before you perfect the timing on this, but it works great.

Leaving the fuel pump on is an important part of the trick, because it keeps pressure going to the mechanical fuel pump to prevent that fuel from turning to vapor.

I did this for close to 1000 hours on my Aztec (basically the same engines as the 182). Never failed. When I got the thing I was told "These things are a bear to hot start." Not if you use the right procedure.

Sounds pretty similar to the hot start process for the club's Arrow. And I never had any trouble starting that engine under any conditions.

BTW, it's for sale if you know anyone interested. We don't fly it enough to justify the expenses.

I've always been told to not prime IO-540s when they're hot. Seems to work for me.

On an IO520 I push everything forward and give it 1 second of prime for every hour it's been off (up to 5 hours) and it starts on the second or third blade every time.

I've got a Continental IO470. I've tried all the different techniques, and the one that has worked for me the best is the simplest:

Don't prime, otherwise it's a normal start.

The owner of my local FBO/part 141 operation showed me a trick this past summer. This was on a 172R (fuel injected):

with the master switch off, push the throttle and mixture full-in, and wait for about 10 seconds.

Then, close the throttle and mixture. And, immediately start the engine using the "hot-start" checklist from the POH.

He says that a warm engine with the mixture at idle cut-off causes vapor lock. And, that by opening the throttle and mixture prior to start, you return the manifold to ambient pressure.

It seems to work for me, YMMV!

Last edited:
Adam, did you mean to say Mixture Cut Off for step one?

Assuming so, that is pretty much the same hot start procedure for the B55 Baron (IO-470s). I've never had trouble using that method in the Baron.

Whew, Thanks Fearless! Yes I totally brain farted and switched the two. Mixture is indeed full lean on the hot start. Key is to have the fuel return to the tanks and not on to the nozzels when it reaches the metering unit and the only way to do that is of course to have mixture at full lean.

Don't know how the heck I flubbed that as at least 75 % of my flights this summer were hot starts. Thanks again for the catch. I edited my post.

I've always been told to not prime IO-540s when they're hot. Seems to work for me.

On an IO520 I push everything forward and give it 1 second of prime for every hour it's been off (up to 5 hours) and it starts on the second or third blade every time.

David, after the prime do you do normal start proceudre ( on the IO520)? ie mixuture full rich throttle cracked 1/4 inch and crank?

Back