172R Windows open in flight.

darthnomster

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyLikeAGirl'sHubs
This weekend was the first weekend where it really felt like a Midwest summer here in Ohio (87F+). FlylikeaGirl and I did some landing/pattern practice, and it was HOT. Since we've only been flying the 172 since January, we'd never looked into the rules for opening the windows in flight, and therefore kept them closed unless we were on the ground.

I just looked at an online version of the POH, and it says max window open speed is 163KIAS, which happens to equal Vne.

Assuming this online POH is consistent with the real POH in the airplane, any reason we shouldn't open those babies up next time?

It's fine - I wouldn't open them on takeoff though, too much extra drag

I've been flying a lot lately with the windows open on my 182. It's been hot here too for the last couple of weeks. I've done it a lot over the years and haven't noticed any ill effects on my windows, hinges or hold-open arms.

It's also legal to fly with the doors off. Haven't done that yet but really want to! :goofy:

This weekend was the first weekend where it really felt like a Midwest summer here in Ohio (87F+). FlylikeaGirl and I did some landing/pattern practice, and it was HOT. Since we've only been flying the 172 since January, we'd never looked into the rules for opening the windows in flight, and therefore kept them closed unless we were on the ground.

I just looked at an online version of the POH, and it says max window open speed is 163KIAS, which happens to equal Vne.

Assuming this online POH is consistent with the real POH in the airplane, any reason we shouldn't open those babies up next time?

No problem. Knock yourself out.

Just be aware that it takes a lot of effort to close those in flight, and it should never be done close to the ground.

They aren't even as loud as you might think.

172s and 182s have Vwindow = Vne. Not all airplanes do, though. 177s in particular.

when flying the towplanes (182 and 175) in the summer its all windows open all the time.

Don't remember where I read it but I do recall there being a difference in Cessna planes on different windows that were rated to be openable in flight or not and not all windows were created equal.

Its a dry heat.

"dry heat". LOL. I have the same heat here in the San Gabriel Valley, SoCal.

Dry or not, it's HOT. Especially in the sun. The sun is brutal. Shade makes a big difference, however. In the shade even 105 is tolerable. :rolleyes2:

Just be aware that it takes a lot of effort to close those in flight, and it should never be done close to the ground.

:dunno:

Mine take more effort than when sitting still, sure, but "a lot of effort?" No. Not at all.

It's fine - I wouldn't open them on takeoff though, too much extra drag

:dunno:

His home field is 5,500' at 632' MSL. Even on a hot day in a 172 with two people aboard...even with the windows open...even with 20 degress of flaps...if it doesn't get off the ground in 5,500' then something's wrong.

He (and she) could indeed use their home field to gauge the performance before trying it at a shorter field. That would be wise. But there shouldn't be much that they can do short of having three flat tires that would prohibit them from successfully taking off from that runway.

I frequently take off from a 1,600' grass strip in the dead of summer with my windows open (i.e. 95dF) but that's in a 182. I really don't notice much difference, performance sucks open or closed at those temps.

Besides, I'd rather be cool while chopping the tops off of the corn than hot above it! :D

I wish it was 87 here. It was 105 over the weekend. Its a dry heat.

Yeah, I know, I love the complaints of 87-degree heat too. It's 87 here at night! And humid as s**t. :) I know I know, I live in this hot hell by choice.
I sweat my ass off in my metal tube in 110F for 20 minutes and just have to wait until I climb up to 9500 to get some cool air (usually 50F up there).

Nope, I always fly a 172 with the windows open in Florida unless it's one of the few cold days when I happen to fly.

It's funny I learned to fly in a 182 in 1984, I NEVER flew with the window open, never. :nono: Fast forward 27 years and my son is learning in our 182 and his CFI told him to just leave the window open!:D I was sorta pizzed because I had flown the old 182 for 10 years and didn't know I could have left the window open in the summer!1:mad2::mad2:
Now in the summer, I usually close the window when I reach cruise altitude, unless it's still hot, then I leave it open the whole trip. :D

Funny is I taxi with the windows Open and as soon as I start the run up the windows get closed. I have this fear of leaving the windows open like its going to rip the windows off. CFI never said I could leave them open. I guess I should read the POH more closely.

Just DO NOT try to close them when you realize you accidentally left them open at 100 AGL. Wait for pattern altitude (at least), or just leave it. It's not worth a departure stall or hitting an obstruction.

Just DO NOT try to close them when you realize you accidentally left them open at 100 AGL. Wait for pattern altitude (at least), or just leave it. It's not worth a departure stall or hitting an obstruction.

Good Advise. I would have the oh **** the windows open and try to close them after lift off. That would be bad. :yikes:
If I recall correctly there is twice in the C172N checklist mentions windows and doors closed and secured.

On XCs I don't really need them open because I usually cruise where temps are 50 F or less (10-12k).

But I have opened windows on descent into Tulsa or Dallas on occasion. I find that rear seat pax (namely, my kids) immediately squawk when the windows open because it windblasts them.

Come work me in 100+ with 80% humidity for 12 hours a day.

:rolleyes2:

You should hold onto the window when opening it in flight so it doesn't hammer the retaining stop. My 175 occasionally pops open unexpectedly but that doesn't really do anything but make noise. I don't find it helps with internal cooling any better than just the wing vents though so I don't open the window unless I want to take a clear picture of something outside.

Frank

You should hold onto the window when opening it in flight so it doesn't hammer the retaining stop. My 175 occasionally pops open unexpectedly but that doesn't really do anything but make noise. I don't find it helps with internal cooling any better than just the wing vents though so I don't open the window unless I want to take a clear picture of something outside.

Frank

Great points. And I agree - more circulating hot air doesn't do much more than the wing vents, especially if the air is really humid.

I wish it was 87 here. It was 105 over the weekend. Its a dry heat.

Its so hot you may burst into flames, but they will be dry flames....:lol:

Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirk
Come work me in 100+ with 80% humidity for 12 hours a day.

:rolleyes2:

I grew up in that. So now I live in the no humidity high desert..:yes:

I used to open the triangular window in flight on the Beech 99 freighters.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 31
Windows open on a late spring/summer/early fall (all the same here in El Paso) is normal ops. Plane doesn't know the diff. Just make sure that all light items in the back seat are secured.

Mike

When I did aerial surveying one summer it was windows open the whole time. Even use to do bomb drop competitions with flour wrapped in Saran Wrap. Just make sure to never advise someone that is sick to...you-know-what...out the window. It will blow right back in.

Never even gave a second thought to not having the windows open when needed. It is noticeably cooler when waiting for takeoff clearance/etc with the windows open. I've seen plenty of guys taxiing with doors open as well, but I wouldn't recommend that in most aircraft due to a gust of wind possibly ruining your whole day.

I'll also add that if you unhook the retaining arm, the airflow will pin the windows up underneath the wings and they wont move. Its nice when its hot and its also very helpful if you are taking pictures.

Just did a hot-day search and rescue exercise with CAP. We kept the windows open all the time in the 182s. Same type of windows, and same restrictions, as in 172s. The only issue at all is that if the wind blows into the back seat headset mic, it can make a lot of noise on the radio.

CAP 182s even have a back window to accommodate airborne photography. That doesn't matter either.

Drag? Not enough to worry. It's a lot less than those big rubber donut things under the plane.

Just make sure that all light items in the back seat are secured.
I was flying my Sport Cub with the windows open one summer day, and slipped to a landing on a grass strip. The chart on the glareshield was blown out the window by the cross-ventilation in the slip.

Fortunately it didn't get too far ...

P1040895.JPG

Back