172P air filter quick release pins

172Pusher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
172Pusher
My air filter has quick-turn screws. They only require a quarter turn to lock or unlock. They have a small pin that goes thru a hole in the end of screw.

I want to replace the filter but the new one didn't come with any screws. Can the pin be pulled out so I can get the screw out of the filter? Then push the pin back thru the screw once in the new filter?

Thank you in advance

They are small camlocks. There are special pliers for removing them installing them. Taking the pin out isn't good.

What model of 172? A lot of the older airplanes just end up with small screws and nuts. Make sure the gasket is stuck good to either the airbox or the filter. You don't want it getting sucked into the engine. The '96 and on airplanes use a better setup.

upload_2022-4-26_17-23-9.jpeg

My air filter has quick-turn screws. They only require a quarter turn to lock or unlock. They have a small pin that goes thru a hole in the end of screw.

I want to replace the filter but the new one didn't come with any screws. Can the pin be pulled out so I can get the screw out of the filter? Then push the pin back thru the screw once in the new filter?

Thank you in advance
I think he is asking about pins like these?

They are tough to get in until you get some practice. I am guessing you could get them out and back in again?
I would ask the air filter manufacture and see what they expect you to use though.
019_10.jpg

By the 4th one you start to get the hang of it, but they are a challenge to get in.
021_8.jpg

007_18.jpg

Last edited:
I think those are "airlocs" and they suck. They suck bad enough that I drilled the receptacles off and just used locknuts and machine screws to fasten filter the frame to the airbox.

I think he is asking about pins like these?

They are tough to get in until you get some practice. I am guessing you could get them out and back in again?
I would ask the air filter manufacture and see what they expect you to use though.
019_10.jpg

By the 4th one you start to get the hang of it, but they are a challenge to get in.
021_8.jpg

007_18.jpg
Yes, that's it exactly. I'm switching to the K&N just like you as well.
Thank you all

Back