172 vs 182 door entry specs

Bryan C

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AllAboutTheDash
Hi guys! This is my first post on this forum and sorry that it is not more exciting but i haven't been able to find an answer. I am a prospective new PIT and I am currently searching for the right fit for me for a flight school. I live in Woodstock, GA and I am leaning strongly toward the flight school in Cartersville, GA. I am 43 yrs old and make a decent buck now-a-days and feel the time is right. I have always wanted to do this.

So, in looking at the 172, I found that it was difficult to get into-out of. I am a big boy-6-1 and 265lbs. specifically, as i stand on the foot peg the natural next move is to hop up into the seat but there's a dang wing in the way. is the wing/top of door opening any higher on a 182? I will get over it either way but just wondering for future considerations. I will try to do better in the future!

Welcome to the forums!

And it could be worse... you could be trying to squeeze you and the instructor into a C150/152!

The "floor height" of the C172 and C182 are a little different but not by much. And I am part of a club that owns a 1975 C182P.

At 6'00", I actually find it easier to not use the "foot peg" mounted on the landing gear. I just have the seat all the way to the rear stop, put in my right foot into the foot well, right cheek on the seat, and hop/push with left foot and I'm in. Just make sure to have my head inside the cabin before I hop. A little bit of re-settling and I'm all comfy.

And this all comes with practice. I've knocked my noggin several times before I got it figured out.

Now as far as what aircraft, if you have found a flight school that has a 182 on the training line, you've discovered something a little out of the ordinary. They are perfectly okay as trainers, but the 172 is more commonly seen for primary training. If you use that as your training aircraft, you'll find it comfortable, but more expensive to rent. So do the budget math.

But with the 172, you can be just as comfortable. Just have your seat forward to a comfortable flying position and the instructor slightly ahead or behind you.

Either aircraft will do fine. And as you train and practice, you'll get more and more comfortable getting in and out, and sitting in it.

Again, welcome to PoA!!!

PS.. where are you based?

Welcome to the forums!

And it could be worse... you could be trying to squeeze you and the instructor into a C150/152!

The "floor height" of the C172 and C182 are a little different but not by much. And I am part of a club that owns a 1975 C182P.

At 6'00", I actually find it easier to not use the "foot peg" mounted on the landing gear. I just have the seat all the way to the rear stop, put in my right foot into the foot well, right cheek on the seat, and hop/push with left foot and I'm in. Just make sure to have my head inside the cabin before I hop. A little bit of re-settling and I'm all comfy.

And this all comes with practice. I've knocked my noggin several times before I got it figured out.

Now as far as what aircraft, if you have found a flight school that has a 182 on the training line, you've discovered something a little out of the ordinary. They are perfectly okay as trainers, but the 172 is more commonly seen for primary training. If you use that as your training aircraft, you'll find it comfortable, but more expensive to rent. So do the budget math.

But with the 172, you can be just as comfortable. Just have your seat forward to a comfortable flying position and the instructor slightly ahead or behind you.

Either aircraft will do fine. And as you train and practice, you'll get more and more comfortable getting in and out, and sitting in it.

Again, welcome to PoA!!!

PS.. where are you based?

Thanks for the welcome. I will be doing initial training in a 172 as that is what the school offers. No problem with that. But future plans include an LLC for a 182Q 4 ways. My mission is approx 300-350NM to Greensboro, NC, Ocean Isle, NC and Deland, FL from base. Base will likely be McCollum Field (KRYY) considering i am looking for 3 other partners. Cartersville, GA for training because it is so close to the practice area. I am sure i can get over the ingress/egress-mainly just curious if there is a difference. KRYY is just NW of Atlanta.

A 182 isn't very different from a 172.

What IS different is that the later models of both aircraft do not have the aft seat track limit.

But you'll get it. I'm 6'3 and I can get into an old 172 just fine. I can even get in a 152 (but I can't sit straight once I'm in there). Just a bit of practice is all it takes. And slide the seat ALL the way back before you try to get in. Remember some 172s have a double latch you'll have to release halfway back. Older 172s were prone to let the seat slide back once worn, on rotation (they have to be inspected every year, so you aren't likely to ever encounter this problem). The double latch is to keep you from sliding so far back you can't reach the controls.

A 177 may be substantially easier for you, if you can find one. Those doors are enormous, and they sit lower to the ground. They are a b**** to close, though, and the wind can blow them around.

People may hesitate to rent a 182 for flight training. They aren't tolerant to crappy landings on the nosegear.

FYI, the term is "student pilot." To me, PIT means a pitch angle measurement. And we're all pilots in training of one sort or another.

Last edited:
Got it. Seat all the way back. I guess in the grand scheme of things, kind of low on the list considering what lies ahead. Though being comfortable is important. Can't wait to get going guys. This is a life long dream. The thought of soloing is almost more than i can stand to think about!

Got it. Seat all the way back. I guess in the grand scheme of things, kind of low on the list considering what lies ahead. Though being comfortable is important. Can't wait to get going guys. This is a life long dream. The thought of soloing is almost more than i can stand to think about!
Once you start, you won't want to stop. Glad you can start on your dream. Good luck with the training!

Welcome to POA, Bryan. I am only 5'-9" and 175 lbs, but with the C-172 we used to own, I never used the step to get in either. There are better ways to get in.

Enjoy your learning journey! Nothing is like flying up there all by yourself.

Im 6'0" and almost 300lbs. the first time or 2 were pretty awkward but now its just another step towards flying.

This. Just make sure you don't pull on anything important (like the yoke) to hoist yourself in.

5'11 260. You get used to it. The cabin width is a bigger issue for me.

Hehe, been there done that. Did most of my basic flight instruction in a 152. I remember how the CFI would practically have to fold himself in half to get in. That airplane was only meant for one person. ;)

I have a 182 and have found that if you start with the foot peg in either plane it is a very ungraceful entry. It is a bit more useful for the awkward climb into the back seat.

I have a truck so am used to hopping up into a vehicle, but I am also in the sub 6' club.

I flew quite a bit in a C-150 with a CFI who was about 6'-3". He probably wasn't much over 200 lbs., though, or maybe less. He looked kind of like a grasshopper sitting over there :).

@Bryan C

I'm a big guy too (6'4" 270 lbs) and I fit in the 172 no problem. The seat isn't even set all the way back. Performance wise isn't an issue either I fly from high altitude (6200') and even on a hot day with my 200 lb instructor there is plenty of power to fly. It does have the 180 hp upgrade but I've also flown the 150 hp 152. I didn't fit very well but it still had enough power (barely)

Bingo. I'm 6'2" and I don't use the step on the main gear for either the 172 or 182. Run the seat all the way back (makes it easier to get your big feet through the gap between the front of the seat and the door opening, too), put your right foot in the plane and away you go, just as noted.

My problem with the 150/152 is that I can't get the seat back far enough and my knees hit the bottom of the panel when I go for the brakes. I haven't flown a 150 in over 15 years and that is a key reason.

The 172 should work for you. Keep in mind that a 182 is basically a heavier 172 with two extra controls - prop and cowl flaps. Oh, and best glide is 70 knots, rather than 65 knots. You'll learn very quickly that while you might get away with sloppy elevator trim in a 172 (but not too much), trim is your friend in a 182. Learn to trim early and you will be much happier.

Welcome to POA.

Hehe, been there done that. Did most of my basic flight instruction in a 152. I remember how the CFI would practically have to fold himself in half to get in. That airplane was only meant for one person. ;)

At 6'6" and 210lbs, I can't imagine now how I did all my flight training in C152s. But then I remember I was a teenager and not full grown and my CFI was a 5'1" woman who weighed <100lbs. Couldn't do it today though...

Back