172 down in VA. 1 dead 1 survived

******** it. Another one out of my home base (FDK)!! Calling around to see if anyone I know knows these guys.

This was the other flight school at FDK. Advanced Helicopter Concepts had the midair last month. This was Frederick Flight Center and one of their senior instructors. This is getting creepy here.

Sad deal....:sad::sad:..

At least there is a survivor to tell what hell happened...

Always sad, may the instructor rest in peace,hope for a speedy recovery for the student.

here's the instructor's web page.....
worry2.gif

I believe he was an instructor for Frederick Flight Center. It was N2152T. FFC is the other flight school at FDK. Last month, Advanced Helicopter Concepts had the triple fatal midair at FDK.

Only been flying 2 years and I recall about this time last year that planes seemed to be falling out of the sky.

I guess better weather, more people flying, odds go up :dunno:

Waitaminit….

They airlifted the student pilot because his ankle was sprained?

Somehow, I don't believe that.

It's been a bad week. We just had a Cessna 140 crash over the weekend in perfect conditions here. No one knows why (yet), and two died.

Only been flying 2 years and I recall about this time last year that planes seemed to be falling out of the sky.

I guess better weather, more people flying, odds go up :dunno:

Yup......... And the ever present glitch called GRAVITY....... Wins every time..:redface:

Waitaminit….

The crash was in the middle of a mountainous national forest nowhere near roads for an ambulance and nowhere near a trauma center. Practicality, not necessity.

Yup......... And the ever present glitch called GRAVITY....... Wins every time..:redface:

nitpick: I think Voyager I & II are beating gravity....at least locally... :D

nitpick: I think Voyager I & II are beating gravity....at least locally... :D

Agreed... Those are two of my favorite missions.... Built way back when NASA had no idea of the extremes of deep space flight... And they hit a home run...:):)..

Keep on truckin.....:thumbsup:

Agreed... Those are two of my favorite missions.... Built way back when NASA had no idea of the extremes of deep space flight... And they hit a home run...:):)..

Keep on truckin.....:thumbsup:

Nope, not beating gravity. Just not aiming at Earth. Gravity is an infinite-range force.

Those probes have been in free-fall for many years. The only force that acts on them is gravity.

NASA had a damn good idea about the "extremes of deep space flight" in the late 70s. That's why they worked. It's also why there haven't been any manned missions.

Last edited:
Nope, not beating gravity. Just not aiming at Earth. Gravity is an infinite-range force.

Those probes have been in free-fall for many years. The only force that acts on them is gravity.

NASA had a damn good idea about the "extremes of deep space flight" in the late 70s. That's why they worked. It's also why there haven't been any manned missions.

My gravity joke was for aircraft,,, NOT spacecraft....

Sorry if I didn't explain it correctly...:redface:

Trauma center for a sprained ankle? Really?

Mechanism of injury. Being in a crash that has significant mechanism (think impact) with significant potential for trauma gets is grounds for more than visit to a local clinic. A second factor in the trauma protocols is always injuries to other parties in involved. In addition to the significant mechanism, the person sitting 6 inches to left was killed.

Basically what I'm getting at here is the airlift and trauma center are perfectly normal standard protocol for what happened here.

Can't vouch for the Virginia protocols, but I am quite well versed in the MD ones. Any time there is apparent multisystem trauma it goes to one of the trauma centers: suspected head injury or abdominal injury coupled with what might be a fracture qualifies. Better to be liberal in the use. I've seen the ugly opposite side of things. Had a couple of kids in a roll a jacked up compact pickup truck (these things were popular back when I was a paramedic). One kid pretty banged up, bad weather so no helicopter available to Shockarama so we loaded him in our box and hauled ass to the regional trauma center. His buddy who was up and running around by the time we got to the scene we put in the front seat. He checked out fine at the scene (even though the signs were there, the starburst crack where he had hit the windshield) and he was fortunate his buddy went to the TC since we took him along in the front seat. I wheeled him in to the ER in a wheelchair (he was still pretty much OK) but I found out later he ended up critical with closed head trauma.

I'm not ever going to fault the medical personnel for escalating cases any more than the emergency equipment rolling at the drop of a hat at the airport (after training with the BWI fire crews, I find that they have 30 seconds from the alarm until they start flowing foam on the wreck if they want a prayer of being able to save people in a post-crash/landing fire.

CT was the same before I moved down here. This was a textbook case for both airlift and transport to at least a level 2 trauma center. If he is one of the lucky ones to actually only have a broken ankle, good for him!

Mechanism of injury. Being in a crash that has significant mechanism (think impact) with significant potential for trauma gets is grounds for more than visit to a local clinic. A second factor in the trauma protocols is always injuries to other parties in involved. In addition to the significant mechanism, the person sitting 6 inches to left was killed.

Basically what I'm getting at here is the airlift and trauma center are perfectly normal standard protocol for what happened here.

Some Medevac companies also have auto launch criteria.

Waitaminit….

It's been a bad week. We just had a Cessna 140 crash over the weekend in perfect conditions here. No one knows why (yet), and two died.

I don't recall the article saying he was airlifted just said transported. But regardless better safe than sorry.

What gets me in these situations is, two people sitting literally inches from each other one ends up dead and one has a sprained ankle.

Can't vouch for the Virginia protocols, but I am quite well versed in the MD ones. Any time there is apparent multisystem trauma it goes to one of the trauma centers: suspected head injury or abdominal injury coupled with what might be a fracture qualifies. Better to be liberal in the use. I've seen the ugly opposite side of things. Had a couple of kids in a roll a jacked up compact pickup truck (these things were popular back when I was a paramedic). One kid pretty banged up, bad weather so no helicopter available to Shockarama so we loaded him in our box and hauled ass to the regional trauma center. His buddy who was up and running around by the time we got to the scene we put in the front seat. He checked out fine at the scene (even though the signs were there, the starburst crack where he had hit the windshield) and he was fortunate his buddy went to the TC since we took him along in the front seat. I wheeled him in to the ER in a wheelchair (he was still pretty much OK) but I found out later he ended up critical with closed head trauma.

I'm not ever going to fault the medical personnel for escalating cases any more than the emergency equipment rolling at the drop of a hat at the airport (after training with the BWI fire crews, I find that they have 30 seconds from the alarm until they start flowing foam on the wreck if they want a prayer of being able to save people in a post-crash/landing fire.

Not to mention the survivor was in the woods the entire night. It gets pretty cold in those Hills.

Waitaminit….

That's very rural country in the mountains. No way he was walking out - sprain or not. Nearest hospital was probably Harrisonburg (depending on exactly where this was, Winchester would not be too far), Winchester or Roanoke are probably the nearest trauma centers. Not sure whether Harrisonburg has helicopter facilities, I know that Winchester does.

I don't recall the article saying he was airlifted just said transported. But regardless better safe than sorry.

What gets me in these situations is, two people sitting literally inches from each other one ends up dead and one has a sprained ankle.

Trees will do that...

God forbid that ever happens to me.. but.. If am going into a forest, I will remain in control the whole way down while looking carefully for two trees spaced perfectly apart so I can hit them with both wings at the exact same time and hopefully 10 feet off the ground... That way the impact will dissipate most of the energy, remove the wings and fuel tanks at the same time and the fuselage drops onto the forest floor..

That's my plan anyway.. If I go in out of control , then all bets are off..:redface:

Could also be a case of one wearing a shoulder harness and one not. I've seen plenty of car accidents where the occupants all walked away except the one not wearing a seatbelt. Or it could have been the way a tree branch came through his window. Or, or, or.

Back