172 airframe time

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
Is there a number for total airframe time where you need to start being concerned? I understand that there are probably a lot of variables to consider, but I'm just looking for a ballpark number. Does the mfgr put a time limit on these or is it more of a personal judgement? I've seen 172s listed for sale with upward of 10k hours.

My Warrior has over 7000 and I was concerned at first but everything checked out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a number for total airframe time where you need to start being concerned? I understand that there are probably a lot of variables to consider, but I'm just looking for a ballpark number. Does the mfgr put a time limit on these or is it more of a personal judgement? I've seen 172s listed for sale with upward of 10k hours.

There is no manufacturer stated life limit on a 172. They seem to make 12,000hrs ok from what I've seen, after that I'd be keeping an eye out for smoking rivets. This of course discounts the corrosion factor that may or may not be present.

Just remember that almost every worn out component on an aircraft can be replaced...except for the airframe. When I'm shopping, a corrosion free, low time airframe is the #1 (but definitely not the only) priority.

I didn't look at anything with over 5,000 hours. I also never looked at anything that's been a trainer.

But that's just me...I'm sure there are some good ones that I dismissed.

Cessna has a 10,000 hr. "continued airframe airworthiness" program. You can buy it from any Cessna dealer. Among other things, it requires eddy current inspections of the wing attach points.

Most Cessna 207s in Alaska have 40,000 hrs, and are continually being rebuilt.

I would be more concerned where those hours came from. 8000 hours that was a flight school trainer, no way. 8000 hours from a DEA scout plane...possibly.

I flew 135 cargo in 16,000 hour Arrows and the Lances had 12-14,000 hours. It's all about how they are maintained. The fleet is rusting, not being overworked.

most rental agencies and FBO's dump them around 10,000 hours due to excessive maintenance costs.

Had an arrow that had over 8000 hrs. Would be comfortable in a 172 with 10000 hrs.

most rental agencies and FBO's dump them around 10,000 hours due to excessive maintenance costs.

I'd imagine it's more loss of revenue issues from needing a 'heavy maintenance' cycle than the actual cost involved. They cost of exchanging the plane for one with less hours, or a new one, vs the cost of the maint is probably break even at best, however the swap out allows continued generation of revenue while a heavy maint cycle will create several months of a non revenue generating asset.

The higher time the airframe, the more time it spends in the hangar racking up bills. Lots of major components can be replaced or overhauled to like new standards, but after a time it is simply not cost effective to do it. In addition, you find more minor issues--skin cracks, smoking rivets, etc.--that add up to a lot of downtime and significant bills.

In addition... always plan for resale. 9,000 hours may seem fine to you now, and if the airplane had a good life you may have a great experience. But a few years later, when it has clicked over the 5 digit mark total time, you may have a tougher time selling it for a fair price.

Oldest one I've flown personally is just shy of 20,000 hours and was parked last year due to rising maintenance costs.

Cessna Pilots Association asked for airframe numbers a few years ago on their forum. A couple guys had 172s with 20,000 hrs on the airframes and still going strong.

We got our TB9 w/ ~7500 hours on it. Was bought new as a trainer at Parks College.
Then bought by a father / son. The dad passed and we bought it from the Son.
Had it a year now and it is quite solid. Pre buy and 2 annuals agree it is in good shape.

Main wing spar is rated for 14,500 hours and engine mount for 10,000 hours.
(Rated may not be the proper word. The hours are specifically noted in our books regarding those items.)

I tracked down 2 of our planes siblings (all sold at the same time from the school)
The current owners all have similar hours on their planes and seem pleased with the quality / performance of the planes.
Edit: Maybe not performance. These things are slow :)

I would assume a good pre buy inspection will tell you more about the plane than guessing a certain number of hours is going to be a problem (within reason)

We will fly about 100 hrs/yr so we have 25 years before hitting 10k. So also consider the rate at which you will be adding hours.

Last edited:
There was one for sale nearby with 16k hours. I imagine they'll outlast us if you take care of them.

My father owns a approximately 4000 hr Saratoga, and just finished his annual 1 week ago, after having a complete overhaul/renovation about 1 year ago. Shop said the plane is basically perfect and appeared like new. So it all depends on how well the plane has been kept.

Back