170 PeePonk gear mod

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Anyone here done one on a 170?

Anyone here done one on a 170?
Wouldn't that question be better asked on the 170 board?

I have heard about the p-ponk gear, but seems like there is a debate over whether it is worth it. I left mine alone.

My prior plane had the mod, this one doesn't. I'm not all worked up about either choice, and after reading all the stuff have concluded the smartest thing I can do is to avoid bending it.

Wouldn't that question be better asked on the 170 board?

I have heard about the p-ponk gear, but seems like there is a debate over whether it is worth it. I left mine alone.

It's already been asked and discussed. I need to talk to an A&P who has completed installing one.

It's a good safety factor for poor pilot skills.

My prior plane had the mod, this one doesn't. I'm not all worked up about either choice, and after reading all the stuff have concluded the smartest thing I can do is to avoid bending it.
That pretty much what I have heard.

Mine didn't have it when I bought it and from what I gathered on the 170 board, I didn't feel like spending the money to add it.

That pretty much what I have heard.

Mine didn't have it when I bought it and from what I gathered on the 170 board, I didn't feel like spending the money to add it.

the landing gear beef up kit is a worth while up grade on the 170, it's like insurance, we only need it when we mess up.
It does strengthen the gear box to the point that it will not require any thing but a inspection after any incident that would have normally ripped the gear box out of an unmodified aircraft.

the landing gear beef up kit is a worth while up grade on the 170, it's like insurance, we only need it when we mess up.
It does strengthen the gear box to the point that it will not require any thing but a inspection after any incident that would have normally ripped the gear box out of an unmodified aircraft.

Need that sort of mod for the 195s

I think it depends on your buyer. If he's not an experienced Cessna taildragger pilot he might buy that story without question. If he's been around for a while he might disagree by pointing out that the structural damage can be much worse if the load exceeds the p-ponk limits that nobody is exactly sure can be defined in layman's terms.

I had 2 170A's that had been groundlooped. One had the P-Ponk kit on it and the other was stock. The one with the kit had much more serious damage to more parts than the other. In the unmodified fuselage the gearbox was damaged on one side and there were some skins damaged too. On the P-ponk modded fuse the whole bottom of the fuse was bent, gearboxes on both sides were tweaked and required replacement. The door post on the side with the bent gear leg was toast and it pulled the spar carry through offline.

To answer your original question I've not done the install but I've seen a few with the mods. Seemed to me like a great idea til I bought the 2 wrecks. 9298A and 9711A were the planes......

Frank

I think it depends on your buyer. If he's not an experienced Cessna taildragger pilot he might buy that story without question. If he's been around for a while he might disagree by pointing out that the structural damage can be much worse if the load exceeds the p-ponk limits that nobody is exactly sure can be defined in layman's terms.

You hit it hard enough to damage the gear with a beef up kit in it, your going to send it to the junk yard anyway.

But if it saves the aircraft once, it was worth it.

If we don't find new gear legs it won't matter!

Just a matter of bucks, call Tom Anderson, he will make you a set of titanium ones for you.

I had 2 170A's that had been groundlooped. One had the P-Ponk kit on it and the other was stock. The one with the kit had much more serious damage to more parts than the other. In the unmodified fuselage the gearbox was damaged on one side and there were some skins damaged too. On the P-ponk modded fuse the whole bottom of the fuse was bent, gearboxes on both sides were tweaked and required replacement. The door post on the side with the bent gear leg was toast and it pulled the spar carry through offline.

To answer your original question I've not done the install but I've seen a few with the mods. Seemed to me like a great idea til I bought the 2 wrecks. 9298A and 9711A were the planes......

Frank
How many times did the modified gear get abused before it failed? It may have saved that 170 many times before it got hit hard enough to fail.

the other one? probably the first time it got abused it failed.

MY original question was about the installation and clearance for the big block. My 170 has two bolts that must be turn around before the block would fit in the space it was to be installed.

My 170 has never been apart in that area before, but the 2 bolts extend too far into the gear box, but after the bolts were turned around, every thing fit as the directions say it will.

Speculation.
How many times did the modified gear get abused before it failed? It may have saved that 170 many times before it got hit hard enough to fail.

the other one? probably the first time it got abused it failed.

Because he is pertty much out of bussiness?
Nope not true, I talked to him a few weeks ago. he and a friend in Ak. are re-doing the 172XP mod again.

I went for the upgrade, because I run tundra's and land in some crazy places. I figure if it holds the bird together where stock gear would fail, that's a good thing right? The kit is only like $300. The labor is not bad.

I don't know if PPonk has a kit for the 170. Go to their website and ask maybe?

I went for the upgrade, because I run tundra's and land in some crazy places. I figure if it holds the bird together where stock gear would fail, that's a good thing right? The kit is only like $300. The labor is not bad.

I don't know if PPonk has a kit for the 170. Go to their website and ask maybe?

I drove over and picked it up. it is installed.

Back