17,000 and counting

Read the posts here to see if anyone clicked. Nope for me too.

I’m surprised if YouTube doesn’t require the entire video to have been viewed (or downloaded) before crediting it with a view?

I never clicked unless poster summarizes link.

Negative on the click-age.

17k what? Bah. Never mind.

Works for me on three devices. Here is the link to Youtube, if you want to watch it there.

nope, still don't wanna watch it. no matter how many times you post it.

It's a short video talking about the kind of work being done with Experimental Exhibition airplanes and what limits are on them - proficiency flying and exhibition really. That's certificated airplanes that are converted to experimental (17,000 so far) so that owners can make modifications on them - things like new avionics, engines, electrical components, etc. One of the Cessnas had leading edge slats for STOL work. The process to convert an airplane is pretty straight forward, but I suspect it's a one way trip. It would be very difficult to undo all the mods and return the airplane to standard.

The video is less than 5 minutes long, so it can't go into much detail, but there's some interesting elements to it.

still 0/10 did not watch.

There are so many aviation-related YouTube channels out there that I'm (unfortunately) just not willing to invest the time and energy to find the 1 out of 100 (or 1 out of 1,000) that have something new or interesting to say. For the most part, I limit myself to people or organisations I already know from outside YouTube, like Garmin, AOPA (including the Air Safety Institute), or Mike Busch (though his go on for too long).

The few times I have taken a recommendation for a new YouTube aviation channel and clicked, I've been disappointed. There's one guy with a big mustache in his logo (I don't remember the name) who everyone rated highly but had very little interesting to say, and another time there was bizjet pilot just whining for half an hour because someone reported him to the FAA for something he'd said in another video (he may be justified in complaining, but sir, watching you do on camera for half an hour is not entertainment).

So please don't take it personally when new members join and post links to their brand-new shiny YouTube aviation channel, but no one rushes in to watch. We're just a bit tired and cynical.

There's one guy with a big mustache in his logo (I don't remember the name) who everyone rated highly but had very little interesting to say
FlightChops is one of the most over rated aviation guys out there. There was a video from OSH a few years ago where he nearly blew over planes behind him while he was doing a runup in the DC-3

The only aviation related channels I watch are Fastback Flying, blancolirio, and sometimes Stevo.. the rest of them are either self aggrandizing or otherwise just not interesting

It's a short video talking about the kind of work being done with Experimental Exhibition airplanes and what limits are on them - proficiency flying and exhibition really. That's certificated airplanes that are converted to experimental (17,000 so far) so that owners can make modifications on them - things like new avionics, engines, electrical components, etc. One of the Cessnas had leading edge slats for STOL work. The process to convert an airplane is pretty straight forward, but I suspect it's a one way trip. It would be very difficult to undo all the mods and return the airplane to standard.

The video is less than 5 minutes long, so it can't go into much detail, but there's some interesting elements to it.

Ah, now I don't need to watch it, thanks.

FlightChops is one of the most over rated aviation guys out there. There was a video from OSH a few years ago where he nearly blew over planes behind him while he was doing a runup in the DC-3

The only aviation related channels I watch are Fastback Flying, blancolirio, and sometimes Stevo.. the rest of them are either self aggrandizing or otherwise just not interesting

I believe FC was just a passenger in that one and Dan Gryder was PIC.

FlightChops

I think he is the guy who has been chronicling how someone else is building his RV for him, right? And an assortment of other stuff... yeah... no. I think he is also the guy who had videos about how it took him years to get his IR.

And c'mon - you all subscribe to AirWagner, right? How else do we maintain proficiency while flying JFR?

Funny, that's exactly who posted this video. Juan Brown.

BTW: The title tells you exactly what the video is all about.

In the time many of you spent posting why you will not watch, you could have watched it and maybe, just maybe, learned something.

The title of the post is: 17,000 and counting

And, on my browser at least, the video snippet title reads: Experimental Exhibition Catego...

Honestly, I have no idea what this video is about based on either the title of the post or the title I can read on the little video snippet that shows up in the body of the post.

Thus the non-click.

Now, on to an aviation guru and content creator we can all appreciate - there are about four new JW videos that were posted in the past month! I haven't seen anyone fly to tertiary minimums or cancel IFR and then fly a completely destabilized approach through hard iMC in a long time...

In the time many of you spent posting why you will not watch, you could have watched it and maybe, just maybe, learned something.

Here's what I learned: The maker of the video is not telling the whole story, and he's making this seem like a simple process. He's also embellishing the limitations on experimental/exhibition.

Other than that, another lame YT video.

STILL not gonna watch it.

Other than that, another lame YT video.

STILL not gonna watch it.

You guys should make videos about how you aren't watching! Oh man ya'll gonna make a million bucks off the yooootooooobes

"Don't forget to hit subscribe and ding that little bell down there. And hey, if you like content like this.... us NOT watching videos, go ahead and smash that like button for me!"

You guys should make videos about how you aren't watching! Oh man ya'll gonna make a million bucks off the yooootooooobes

"Don't forget to hit subscribe and ding that little bell down there. And hey, if you like content like this.... us NOT watching videos, go ahead and smash that like button for me!"

I never said or implied I didn't watch it. Out of curiosity I did, and it was a complete waste of time.

I never said or implied I didn't watch it. Out of curiosity I did, and it was a complete waste of time.

Even better! This is the kind of content that will make you a successful yooootoooobe influencer.

You guys still have the same channel. Here's how it goes - You do watch the videos, but then talk about how they are a waste of time. Eman doesn't watch the videos, and talks about.... well whatever eman talks about on a yooootooobe video. Or he just sits there in front of the camera and eats hot dogs in silence....

Either way, ya'll will have a million subs in a month!

Now back to my JW video....

Even better! This is the kind of content that will make you a successful yooootoooobe influencer.

You guys still have the same channel. Here's how it goes - You do watch the videos, but then talk about how they are a waste of time. Eman doesn't watch the videos, and talks about.... well whatever eman talks about on a yooootooobe video. Or he just sits there in front of the camera and eats hot dogs in silence....

You're projecting now. I saw the title, and was interested in what the discussion was.

Turkey subs? Roast beef? Not-quite-Tuna?

The "17,000 and Counting" title didn't induce me to click on the link. However, the revelation that this refers to the number of Experimental Exhibition aircraft in the US caused me to do a bit of checking.

I searched the January 2021 FAA registry for aircraft listed as Experimental Exhibition, plus those that were variants of an Ex-Ex registration. The FAA database uses a "43" code to denote Ex-Ex (The "4" means it's Experimental, the "3" means Exhibition); my process also included Ex-Ex with further codes, such as "434" to denote those Ex-Ex aircraft which had a secondary licensing as Racing.

The trouble is, I got nowhere NEAR 17,000 aircraft. I counted 4,218. Assuming the 17,000 may have referred to aircraft that had subsequently been deregistered, I ran the same search on the deregistered aircraft list, and got another 2,018. So I see, at most, about 6,200 Ex-Ex aircraft, including those that are no longer on the official registry.

I made an attempt to count the number of given makes of aircraft on the active registry. I say, "attempt" because, like E-AB aircraft, the person registering the aircraft can specify the make. I manually stepped through the list to combine those which stemmed from the same make. Wasn't perfect, of course, since if it were listed as a "Piper/Smith" vs. a "Smith/Piper", I may not have caught it.

Anyway, here's the fleet sizes for Ex-Ex types that have 25 or more aircraft in the registry.

________MFR Name________|_Count_|
_____AERO VODOCHODY_____|__226__|
__________BELL__________|___96__|
_________BOEING_________|___58__|
________CANADAIR________|___28__|
_CANADIAN CAR & FOUNDRY_|___45__|
_________CESSNA_________|___33__|
_______DEHAVILLAND______|__139__|
____EXTRA FLUGZEUGBAU___|___81__|
__________FOUGA_________|___33__|
______GLASER DIRKS______|___37__|
_________GRUMMAN________|___72__|
_________HAWKER_________|___34__|
______IAR SA BRASOV_____|___37__|
________LOCKHEED________|___33__|
_________MIKOYAN________|___31__|
_________MORAVAN________|___25__|
_____NANCHANG CHINA_____|__171__|
__________NORD__________|___31__|
_____NORTH AMERICAN_____|__234__|
__________PIPER_________|___42__|
________PIPISTREL_______|___30__|
___________PZL__________|__103__|
___ROLLADEN SCHNEIDER___|___46__|
____S C AEROSTAR S A____|___52__|
______SCHEMPP HIRTH_____|__171__|
_______SCHLEICHER_______|__109__|
____SCOTTISH AVIATION___|___49__|
_____SIAI MARCHETTI_____|___54__|
_________SOCATA_________|___28__|
_________SUKHOI_________|___38__|
________YAKOVLEV________|__216__|
__ZIVKO AERONAUTICS INC_|___28__|

You'll notice the number of "traditional" GA aircraft are quite low, in comparison to the ex-military and foreign types.

Ron Wanttaja

There are so many aviation-related YouTube channels out there that I'm (unfortunately) just not willing to invest the time and energy to find the 1 out of 100 (or 1 out of 1,000) that have something new or interesting to say. For the most part, I limit myself to people or organisations I already know from outside YouTube, like Garmin, AOPA (including the Air Safety Institute), or Mike Busch (though his go on for too long).

The few times I have taken a recommendation for a new YouTube aviation channel and clicked, I've been disappointed. There's one guy with a big mustache in his logo (I don't remember the name) who everyone rated highly but had very little interesting to say, and another time there was bizjet pilot just whining for half an hour because someone reported him to the FAA for something he'd said in another video (he may be justified in complaining, but sir, watching you do on camera for half an hour is not entertainment).

So please don't take it personally when new members join and post links to their brand-new shiny YouTube aviation channel, but no one rushes in to watch. We're just a bit tired and cynical.

Hey, I get it. But for those of us that look to watch content that appeals to us, and the way the YT algorithm works, I appreciate links to new content.

Back