15 yr old High-functioning autism

15YearOldWannabe

I know I'm very young (15 sophomore) in the US.. but my dad told me he can pay for flight school when im 16.. but i have been comitted to psych wards and diagnosed with autism (7th/8th grade)and possibly adjustment disorder (8th grade).. i figured out i should be able to get a 3rd class medical before i even think of flight school.. but thanks to my mental health history it seems impossible.. i just like doing research before diving into things..

is there anything i could do to get 3rd class medical?

The good doctor will be along soon, but it looks bleak. The mutliple hospitalizations and diagnoses doesn't bode well. If it were one simple thing, a period of demonstration of normal functioning (like getting through college successfully WITHOUT medication) might have flown, but the FAA has tightened up the criteria for psych issues and even if it were possible (and that's a big if) you're talking about a substantial amount ($$$$$) of testing.

The good doctor will be along soon, but it looks bleak. The mutliple hospitalizations and diagnoses doesn't bode well. If it were one simple thing, a period of demonstration of normal functioning (like getting through college successfully WITHOUT medication) might have flown, but the FAA has tightened up the criteria for psych issues and even if it were possible (and that's a big if) you're talking about a substantial amount ($$$$$) of testing.

I've read that the FAA wants to know about therapy appointments over the years and tons of other paperwork. It'll be kinder for them to simply ban anyone diagnosed with mental disorder or illness.

The medication (Zoloft) had to do with anxiety. My mother told me I was never diagnosed with adjustment disorder, just depression (suicidal ideation too)in 5th grade, and high-functioning autism back around 7th-8th grade. Should I ask my parents to get me tested before I turn 16/17? Would I need letters from doctors to show that both are gone and I'm OK to fly?

Have you considered Sport Pilot? No medical needed; just a driver’s license.

I want to do it.. at least i could fly in ultralights and paraglide/sail. I read that doing flight school and proving you're mentally capable of flying is good.. but everything seems bleak..

I'd advise a consult with a skilled and knowledgeable AME (AeroMedical Examiner); there is so much we don't know, and worth considering is the number of throw-down diagnoses of school-aged folks, motivated by over-eager school officials.

No idea whether this applies to you or not, but learn something about the possibilities, only done with professionals.

One such AME is Dr. Bruce Chien, who can be found at www.aeromedicaldoc.com - he is known to be expert at resolving difficult situations, when they can be resolved, and he can tell you what needs to be done.

I want to do it.. at least i could fly in ultralights and paraglide/sail. I read that doing flight school and proving you're mentally capable of flying is good.. but everything seems bleak..
Two different things. A Sport Pilot certificate, which requires no medical, lets you fly Light-Sport Aircraft (LSA),which are 2 seat aircraft with weight and performance limitations.

Ultralights (including paragliders) require no pilot certificate at all, but can be only 1 seat, with even more limited weight and performance limitations. Legally, no flight instruction at all is required to fly an ultralight... but only an idiot would try to fly without some instruction.

For a Private Pilot certificate, which allows you to fly 4 seat and larger and faster airplanes, you need the medical.

But... if you apply for a medical and don't pass, you are permanently restricted from getting a SP certificate, though ultralights are still an option.

I'm far from an expert on medical matters, but I suspect that even if you could pass a medical (which is by no means guaranteed) it will cost many thousands of dollars and months if not years of testing and paperwork to the FAA.

Last edited:
You won’t like hearing this, but....

You need to wait a few years. At your age, your mind and personality are still developing. If you apply for a medical today, especially now that we know you’ve had suicidal ideation, it’s almost certain you’ll be denied.

Once you have several years of life behind you, successfully lived without hospitalizations or issues, showing good decision-making skills, you’ll have a better chance. It will still be a long and expensive ordeal. Today, though, it’s virtually impossible.

Heck, you haven’t even had time yet to demonstrate you can handle the mental challenges and stress of driving a car.

Set flying aside for a while. The sky will still be there a decade from now.

Dr. Chien has posted that he got a couple of high functioning Aspberger's patients first class medicals. That's what I recall anyway. You should definitely see about consulting him.

The fact that you mentioned a third class medical rather than a second or first tells me that you might not have any goals of flying professionally. Also at 15, you might not know for sure what you might want to do for a living when you grow up. But you do sound like you want to fly. If that is correct and if your dad will pay for flying lessons regardless, I suggest as others have that you go for Sport Pilot. No matter what you decide to do in a few years, you will have a potential life long hobby at minimum. And if you do decide you want to fly for a living later on, you can cross that bridge then. Good luck!

You won’t like hearing this, but....

You need to wait a few years. At your age, your mind and personality are still developing. If you apply for a medical today, especially now that we know you’ve had suicidal ideation, it’s almost certain you’ll be denied.

Once you have several years of life behind you, successfully lived without hospitalizations or issues, showing good decision-making skills, you’ll have a better chance. It will still be a long and expensive ordeal. Today, though, it’s virtually impossible.

Heck, you haven’t even had time yet to demonstrate you can handle the mental challenges and stress of driving a car.

Set flying aside for a while. The sky will still be there a decade from now.
I'm definitely waiting, especially with my background. I read they'll want yearly evaluations from licensed state PhD-level psychologists, and no more medications and hospitalizations.

The fact that you mentioned a third class medical rather than a second or first tells me that you might not have any goals of flying professionally. Also at 15, you might not know for sure what you might want to do for a living when you grow up. But you do sound like you want to fly. If that is correct and if your dad will pay for flying lessons regardless, I suggest as others have that you go for Sport Pilot. No matter what you decide to do in a few years, you will have a potential life long hobby at minimum. And if you do decide you want to fly for a living later on, you can cross that bridge then. Good luck!

He doesn't intend to now.. but I was intending to learn as a hobby..

Better than “we”… then PoA folk might be in danger of being assimilated.

upload_2022-1-23_21-18-55.png

He doesn't intend to now.. but I was intending to learn as a hobby..
So your father no longer intends to pay for your flying lessons? I read your OP as that was what he intends to do. Did something change or did I misread?

But for a hobby, I’d go sport pilot. Later if you think you want to fly bigger, heavier planes then you can pursue a medical at that time. For now, I think you’ll find being a sport pilot will interest you well enough. Good luck either way.

Like others have said, I'd think it'd be good to prove yourself through high school and college. I had an ASD diagnosis though I'm not sure if mine compares to yours because my AME read through all my medical records and 2 letters of recommendation by teachers specifically typed for my AME, neuropsychological examiner, and the FAA, and agreed with my parents that the diagnosis was complete bulls**t. We got away without needing a psychiatric eval. Your diagnosis seems like it has been substantiated thoroughly in your records.

Last edited:
I know I'm very young (15 sophomore) in the US.. but my dad told me he can pay for flight school when im 16.. but i have been comitted to psych wards and diagnosed with autism (7th/8th grade)and possibly adjustment disorder (8th grade).. i figured out i should be able to get a 3rd class medical before i even think of flight school.. but thanks to my mental health history it seems impossible.. i just like doing research before diving into things..

is there anything i could do to get 3rd class medical?
In the meantime, tell us where you fly out of, and some of us will take you along to lunch. Get some airtime, maybe some yoke time!

Paul

In the meantime, tell us where you fly out of, and some of us will take you along to lunch. Get some airtime, maybe some yoke time!

Paul
Agreed. OP dip your toes and get to know people at your local airport or maybe some of the guys/gals on the forums here are at your local airport. Get connections, make friends, and learn from them.

If you fly sport pilot then those hours can count later down the road for a PPL if your able to get the medical. I think the main problem is the cost to jump though the hoops for the FAA none of it is covered by medical insurance all out of pocket at the uncontracted price rates.

Build an The Aerolite 103 I think it's possible to even register it as a light sport experimental cost 25-30k range then can fly them anywhere. I saw some used ones not that old on Barnstormer for 17k. The FAA will eventually raise the limits on Light Sport even to 4 seats. Gliders, and motor gliders even have less restrictions I might be wrong but I thought I read with a motor glider can even fly at night.

Gliders, and motor gliders even have less restrictions I might be wrong but I thought I read with a motor glider can even fly at night.

True, if properly equipped. And higher than 10K MSL too. And into towered airports without extra endorsements.

Self-launching motor glider was my plan B in case I didn't get my third-class medical. Glad that stress is over now.

Ah yes … today’s kids are the worst ever.
They aren’t as smart as we were.
They can barely read or write.
They can’t do simple math.
They do not understand history.
Etc etc etc …..
Said every generation ever.
If true, we have been on a steady decline since we started.
Yet, we are better as a country than we have ever been.
But if the current generation does suck so bad, who do we blame?
The previous generation who was responsible for raising them, teaching them, and guiding them?
Nah, can’t be. That was us, right? And we were smarter.

Etc etc etc …..
The previous generation who was responsible for raising them, teaching them, and guiding them?

Well, technically, I am one of "today's kids" because I'm sure as heck not old enough to be a member of the previous generation. I work in education. I get a frontline view as to what is being pushed as "important". The truth of the matter is, the majority of kids today are smart in spite of the education system instead of because of it.

Etc etc etc …..
Socrates said:
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers
- Socrates

jwSls6X.jpeg

What's your point? Socrates was right, as was every generation after him.
What skydog and skychaser said. It's been said since the dawn of day that the next generation is worse than what we are. Hell, as much as I say I won't do it I probably will still probably say that Gen Whatever is worse than me, Gen Z. I'd argue that collectively Silent Generation, Baby Boomers, Gen X, Millenials, and Gen Z are a lot better than previous generations. We're not out there doing crusades, killing women (supposed witches), anyone who performs magic, gay people, etc. We're also not enslaving entire countries, races, whatever of people. Collectively we're better than previous generations. It got worse before it got better with us.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back