rainbowplane777

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ry
i got good answers so this is being edited dont mind this :)

Last edited:
Autism is very very tought to certify. It has to do with Maritime Law. While Asea, the Captain is both judge and baliff. FAA wants to make certain their man "gets it right".

Autism of any sort calls into question just those interpersonal relations, as nonstandard. You are looking at a huge pile of evaluations at great cost with only a slender chance....and that chance would be "bettered"if you had some resume "bona fides" e.g. a documented set of leadership positions among your peers.

After all, Piloting is very social- you have to work in system with a lot of others and you have to work well.

Just food for thought, no diagnosis = no issue with the FAA. If you need it to get access to support/treatment/etc then take care of your health. If it's just for self discovery purposes then it may not change a thing and create complications.

There are a lot of people out there, pilots even, who probably would have been diagnosed as kids by today's standards but got through life well enough without any help. Don't make any decisions based on what I, someone with no credentials who has never met you says but just be aware of these things and draw your own conclusions.

I currently do not have an official DX but am on a waitlist for one. The earliest time I could go in for the DX would be December 2024. If i got an official DX would it stop me from flying?

Having an "official diagnosis" complicates things. If you're only going to fly for fun, why not get a Third Class medical (assuming you don't have any issues that would prevent that) before getting a diagnosis, and then go to Basic Med? If you're trying to get a First Class medical, then you have to ask yourself these questions: Will having an "official diagnosis" of autism help you in any way? If you believe it will in terms of your health and well-being, then you should do what you need to do. OTOH, if as Cowman mentions, you're just seeking a diagnosis for self-discovery, is that important enough to you to risk not being able to fly professionally?

Having an "official diagnosis" complicates things. If you're only going to fly for fun, why not get a Third Class medical (assuming you don't have any issues that would prevent that) before getting a diagnosis, and then go to Basic Med? If you're trying to get a First Class medical, then you have to ask yourself these questions: Will having an "official diagnosis" of autism help you in any way? If you believe it will in terms of your health and well-being, then you should do what you need to do. OTOH, if as Cowman mentions, you're just seeking a diagnosis for self-discovery, is that important enough to you to risk not being able to fly professionally?
Thanks

Just food for thought, no diagnosis = no issue with the FAA. If you need it to get access to support/treatment/etc then take care of your health. If it's just for self discovery purposes then it may not change a thing and create complications.

There are a lot of people out there, pilots even, who probably would have been diagnosed as kids by today's standards but got through life well enough without any help. Don't make any decisions based on what I, someone with no credentials who has never met you says but just be aware of these things and draw your own conclusions.
Thanks

Back