Is it coincidence that as I read Half Fast’s comments I’m listen to Aluminum Foil by Weird Al?

Of course not. I welcome the kind and caring oversight of our benign federal masters.

(And if the FBI monitors Twitter, do you really think the FAA doesn’t monitor aviation forums?)
I doubt that they have time to read ALL of it, let alone archive it all.

Or he could just ask the people who quoted him to remove it?
True, but getting cooperation from one person is usually more likely to succeed than getting cooperation from several people.

the point is this - if you believe its your "medical record" and you want the privacy associated with it - hipaa or not, then you keep it that way. Thats your prerogative. If you publish it out for the internet to see, well guess what einstein - its public. So anyone who contributes anything to it - is doing it out of their time to contribute to the information out there as a whole - so that people next will be able to see/learn/comprehend/understand/etc. I dont think Dr Chein or the other AME's posting out here intend for their comments to be rendered useless. They take the time to contribute to post for all to see. If they wanted their comments private, they would have sent them privately. but deleting it so this thread isnt available in any sort of understandable format (partially quoted or not), now makes this a waste of time. ANd then you arguinig that this is "yours" - wow - sorry to tell you fella - you posted it publicly, its now out there for anyone to read and discuss.

as for whether the paranoia of whether the FAA med devision monitors this - ha - if that truly were the case - it would actually mean they are doing their job. . however twisted that may sound. . .

giphy.gif

That’s the NSA’s job. They just funnel certain stuff to the correct agency/agencies though.

the point is this - if you believe its your "medical record" and you want the privacy associated with it - hipaa or not, then you keep it that way. Thats your prerogative. If you publish it out for the internet to see, well guess what einstein - its public. So anyone who contributes anything to it - is doing it out of their time to contribute to the information out there as a whole - so that people next will be able to see/learn/comprehend/understand/etc. I dont think Dr Chein or the other AME's posting out here intend for their comments to be rendered useless. They take the time to contribute to post for all to see. If they wanted their comments private, they would have sent them privately. but deleting it so this thread isnt available in any sort of understandable format (partially quoted or not), now makes this a waste of time. ANd then you arguinig that this is "yours" - wow - sorry to tell you fella - you posted it publicly, its now out there for anyone to read and discuss.
I do not see that any AMEs have responded to my inquiry. I understood the consequences of posting my information. It doesn’t mean I can’t delete it in the way I decide. You appear to be a toxic troll. If you wanted to better the forum, you went the wrong way about it.

@Charlie Wolf , sorry that I didn't post the link to the article I mentioned last night. When I tried to pull it up, the link gave me a 404 error. I remembered saving a screenshot of the page, but apparently, that went the way of unused files at some point. Basically, it was a summary of a case, written by an FAA guy about a case where a student pilot had suicidal issues and depression and how he got certified. In the corner, it had a little box with how to get certified in it. It listed things like "depression in remission or on an approved treatment plan" and "10 years free of suicide attempts or thoughts". I'm really sorry I couldn't find it.

@Charlie Wolf , sorry that I didn't post the link to the article I mentioned last night. When I tried to pull it up, the link gave me a 404 error. I remembered saving a screenshot of the page, but apparently, that went the way of unused files at some point. Basically, it was a summary of a case, written by an FAA guy about a case where a student pilot had suicidal issues and depression and how he got certified. In the corner, it had a little box with how to get certified in it. It listed things like "depression in remission or on an approved treatment plan" and "10 years free of suicide attempts or thoughts". I'm really sorry I couldn't find it.
No worries. Thank you for looking.

@Charlie Wolf The FAA denied me today, and I'm actually relieved because of the money and time I would've had to spend to get through their hoops, for a 3rd Class, for flying maybe every other weekend (which in itself would cost a pile of money). If the $5K isn't that big of a deal, then spend it and see what happens. But as another said before this, be prepared to spend ungodly amounts more. It is by no means encouraging, I know. There's a reason so many general aviators are rich guys, doctors, etc. I guess if you really dream of commercial work, then it makes sense going to the trouble. But for a 3rd Class while you don't have a bunch of money, I'm hard pressed to say the efforts will feel worth it in the end. I had adhd/depression and substance issues from 18-20 years old, which I straightened out and have been good ever since, nearly 20 years ago. Still got denied. Opportunity for Special Issuance also denied. The FAA is certainly not messing around if we're talking dinging me for 20-years-ago stuff. So if your stuff is anything similar, you may think long and hard about avoiding this painful road of waiting and probably then being disappointed. But there can be joy to life in going up with an instructor and saving piles of money that you'd otherwise spend on the hobby of flying.

I do not see that any AMEs have responded to my inquiry.

Lol.they have. you don’t even know what you don’t know. Lol. Maybe you aren’t seeing it because you don’t want to. But ironically you mentioned one and he wrote in and you still don’t even know it…. It’s like if you can’t see the fool in the room…..

Last edited:

You're right, if you're imagining humans doing the work. The sheer volume would be impossible to keep up with. However, humans wouldn't be doing the bulk of the work.

Computers would do the massive processing of the data. You've heard, I presume, about ChatGPT. Imagine that level of technology (and no doubt better exists) combing though all posts on monitored forums, etc. Then, that level of technology passing on the relevant bits of conversation for human review.

It will only get more impressive as time goes on.

@Charlie Wolf
... I had adhd/depression and substance issues from 18-20 years old, which I straightened out and have been good ever since, nearly 20 years ago. Still got denied. Opportunity for Special Issuance also denied. The FAA is certainly not messing around if we're talking dinging me for 20-years-ago stuff.

A couple of weeks ago you wrote

... and was taking meds for that and then wellbutrin until 9 months ago, approx 6 years total. Took adhd pills again for just a few days last week to help get me through a tough spot at work (I still have some meds).

It sounds to me like you’re still using the meds. And assuming you reported recent use to the FAA (at least up until 9 months ago), that’s likely what got you denied.

Or am I missing something?

A couple of weeks ago you wrote

It sounds to me like you’re still using the meds. And assuming you reported recent use to the FAA (at least up until 9 months ago), that’s likely what got you denied.

Or am I missing something?
Sir, it's a long, messy story that I don't want to detail here. Still, in a nutshell, I probably screwed things up in the narratives they had me write and the documentation that they had me provide. I probably only would've had a good chance had I paid for an attorney and/or gotten with a good AME BEFORE doing the MedXPress application.

Sir, it's a long, messy story that I don't want to detail here. Still, in a nutshell, I probably screwed things up in the narratives they had me write and the documentation that they had me provide. I probably only would've had a good chance had I paid for an attorney and/or gotten with a good AME BEFORE doing the MedXPress application.

Your choice, of course, but I hope you can see the contradictions in your posts and how the rest of us might be a bit confused about your situation.

I think you have documented your journey in another thread. If you need the attorney and lack of a good AME as an excuse to move forward- certainly use it. But to be honest as Dr Lou mentioned - it sounds like your trying to bend the reality to fit what the FAA wants, which isnt the real narrative. We all want to believe we're fine even if we arent. So this may not be a good fit for you long term - and as you said and have hopefully accepted - just go up and fly with an instructor if you really enjoy it. There are many who will gladly fly with you obviously. .

You're right, if you're imagining humans doing the work. The sheer volume would be impossible to keep up with. However, humans wouldn't be doing the bulk of the work.

Computers would do the massive processing of the data. You've heard, I presume, about ChatGPT. Imagine that level of technology (and no doubt better exists) combing though all posts on monitored forums, etc. Then, that level of technology passing on the relevant bits of conversation for human review.

It will only get more impressive as time goes on.
Maybe technology could be successfully used in that manner, but I would be surprised if the FAA were currently do this. My impression is that the agency tends to be a slow adopter of technology.

Last edited:
I think you have documented your journey in another thread. If you need the attorney and lack of a good AME as an excuse to move forward- certainly use it. But to be honest as Dr Lou mentioned - it sounds like your trying to bend the reality to fit what the FAA wants, which isnt the real narrative. We all want to believe we're fine even if we arent. So this may not be a good fit for you long term - and as you said and have hopefully accepted - just go up and fly with an instructor if you really enjoy it. There are many who will gladly fly with you obviously. .

This thread isn't about me. It's about Charlie. But you're right. I haven't been right since quitting the medicines. So I started back on one about a week before getting my letter, which said I was denied. Still, though, I would've thrown in the towel had it been, "go see a HIMS doc." Not spending thousands upon thousands for testing and monitoring when I just want to fly for fun.

Your choice, of course, but I hope you can see the contradictions in your posts and how the rest of us might be a bit confused about your situation.

I didn't realize I was coming off that way. I don't even remember the posts we're talking about. But yes, see above. I did give up, and I feel kind of lousy about it, even though I had a denial coming anyhow. But I'm on the road to being happier now, and I think that matters most.

But yes, see above. I did give up, and I feel kind of lousy about it, even though I had a denial coming anyhow. But I'm on the road to being happier now, and I think that matters most.

I said this in another thread as well. Your health is the most important - even above flying. So that does matter most. I dont believe in this - push at all costs, push through, false hope, etc. You have to be practical and balance cost, time, quality of life, and the reality of the situation. So its always up to the person/individual - just you cant always win or be successful at everything and sometimes life throws you lemons.

... just you cant always win or be successful at everything and sometimes life throws you lemons.
Yeah, and though I was hanging it the pursuit of a clearance anyway, something just stunned me to get both the regular and the SI denial instead of a, now you have to find a HIMS AME etc. It's been like a "Wait, I was going to dump YOU. This isn't supposed to happen like this!" moment. Haha
...and best of luck to you.
Thanks, Half Fast. I'll take all the luck I can get.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back