141 or 61

bigdog2003

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kyle
Looking to make a change in career in the near future. I am 32 have a wife and 2 kids and have worked in the same factory for 14 years. I got my ppl in December and now have 80 hours. I am looking to continue on and make a career out of aviation. My end goal is to fly packages or corporate. My question is I will have the cash on hand to pay for my training so should I stick with a part 61 or spend the extra money and go to a 141 school such as ATP or Skywarrior where they have a fast track program?

Either route will get you there. 141 is more structured and usually has the planes available at one location to get you to your goal. 61 will save some bucks but try to find a good CFI (like me! :D). May have to move around a bit under 61 to find available planes, a ME plane for example. Many ways to skin this cat, but either way works just fine.

If you want the structure of Part 141, then go for it. You don't necessarily have to go to a pilot mill to get 141. Your local flight school may have it.

However, Part 61 can be tailored to your needs. No need to waste hours on something you have down pat.

And to find your job in corporate 135, start networking in the right circles now. Jobs for that area of aviation are found more frequently from who you know rather than being advertised.

For the most part you can get done quicker at a 141 school. You may be able to find a freelance CFI that is willing to do everything with you.

I would go the 141 route,more chance of a fixed schedule,with both the instructors and aircraft.

If I were young and going that track, I'd stay 61. I loath sitting in classroom listening to someone lecture. It's the worst way for me to learn anything. But that's just me.

Back