12v arctic air install. any reviews?

I don't know anything about them, but after reading the description in the link you included, the current draw gave me pause..19-27 amps, with a 40 amp momentary peak on startup. That's going to require a beefy supply circuit and add quite a load to the alternator, no? I'm curious as to what is required electrically for the installation.

I don't know anything about them, but after reading the description in the link you included, the current draw gave me pause..19-27 amps, with a 40 amp momentary peak on startup. That's going to require a beefy supply circuit and add quite a load to the alternator, no? I'm curious as to what is required electrically for the installation.

that's kinda what I want to know. Someone on mooneyspace said he had one installed in a beech that has a 70amp alternator. I'm not sure what mine has, 60a? I wanted first hand experience with the load aspect of it and how well it works.

I wanted first hand experience with the load aspect of it and how well it works.
FWIW: how any high-loading electrical equipment performs is subjective to the specific aircraft it's installed. Getting general pireps on other aircraft may lead you down a false path. Since the electrical systems in the majority of GA aircraft are not operating at 100% or configured the same perhaps have your mechanic give your electrical system a good review and a current load test. Per existing guidance you're limited to 80% max load on the aircraft electrical system. So it's quite possible your electrical system may only be putting out 80% with no additional load. Once you have current figures on the efficiency of current electrical system then you can make a better informed decision on whether the AC will work in your specific aircraft regardless what you find out from other aircraft.

Last edited:
I have gone with a 12V arctic air, then purchased a Jackary portable battery that'll last 6-8 hours (Jackery 500). Only added 12lbs and runs anything I want.

I have gone with a 12V arctic air, then purchased a Jackary portable battery that'll last 6-8 hours (Jackery 500). Only added 12lbs and runs anything I want.
I’m confused. The jackery will only run the ac for an hour-ish. And you can’t easily use it to run your aircraft avionics. So where does it fit in?

The cigarette charger from the 12v Arctic Air (Ice version NOT the all inclusive AC) runs for a very long time 144,440 mAH battery. The draw from the 12v fan is not extremely significant in comparison. What I meant by the "runs anything I want" was keeping my iPad/iPhone, Foreflight Sentry etc all charged up without running off the aircraft electrical system.

The cigarette charger from the 12v Arctic Air (Ice version NOT the all inclusive AC) runs for a very long time 144,440 mAH battery. The draw from the 12v fan is not extremely significant in comparison. What I meant by the "runs anything I want" was keeping my iPad/iPhone, Foreflight Sentry etc all charged up without running off the aircraft electrical system.
Oh, I see. That’s not the AC the OP is discussing, but now your post makes sense. Thanks.

Back