11 years Epileptic Free - FAA Medical Exam

Your authorization is up August 31. You only send in more documents if you want to maintain your third Class.

Your authorization is up August 31. You only send in more documents if you want to maintain your third Class.
Yup - And I certainly will - Until I am about to go for my Commercial, where I will need a Class 2

Yup - And I certainly will - Until I am about to go for my Commercial, where I will need a Class 2
You only need a third class medical certificate to take the commercial checkride. You would only need the second class medical if you ever plan on exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot certificate.

You only need a third class medical certificate to take the commercial checkride. You would only need the second class medical if you ever plan on exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot certificate.

You can take a checkride on the 3rd class or basic med.

Bump -
Received my Reissuance today via EMAIL from the FAA (Probably because of COVID?). Looks like they are starting to trust me a bit. Still only valid 1 year until August 2021, but the AUTHORIZATION is valid until August 2023. I believe 2023, my 5 years is up for my medical exam from my AME as well. I'm curious a bit about why the Authorization is longer than the certificate, and if it is just a paperwork processing thing or not to speed up reissuances. They still require my Neurologist's letter as always but it has become second nature now.

Bump -
Received my Reissuance today via EMAIL from the FAA (Probably because of COVID?). Looks like they are starting to trust me a bit. Still only valid 1 year until August 2021, but the AUTHORIZATION is valid until August 2023. I believe 2023, my 5 years is up for my medical exam from my AME as well. I'm curious a bit about why the Authorization is longer than the certificate, and if it is just a paperwork processing thing or not to speed up reissuances. They still require my Neurologist's letter as always but it has become second nature now.
More importantly- how’s the flying going??!!

More importantly- how’s the flying going??!!
Going well, Got my Private A year ago (Took me 4 months) right after i got my SI. Then I got my Complex/HP endorsement in a R182. Then got my AGI/IGI. Been doing a bunch of XC work so according to my logbook I have 51 hours PIC XC so when I start Instrument training I'll 100% do it under Part 61

TVProducer, when the authorization is longer than the cert. it means in the in between years, the AME can look at the reports and issue you, and send in the documents to be second guessed by the agency. No more MFAT.

From what it reads they still want prior to 60 days before expiration of the certificate a letter from my Neurologist sent to OKC. However being that the authorization is extended this means, according to you, that an AME can issue me a medical until 2023 or whenever the FAA re-extends it. Would this mean it is up to the AME to determine the valid length of time for the next medical? Is it easier for me just to continue sending the letter on my own to the FAA instead of getting my AME involved? I know next time I see him I’ll want to convert it to a Class 2 Medical as well. My 5 year exam is up August of 2023 and per the regulation will need a new exam. Nothing I need answered immediately but appreciate the feedback!

2021 Renewal Status Update: Called the FAA Twice as my medical Expires end of August inquiring status. Representatives I've spoken to have escalated it as they do not know why there is a delay. Currently have basic med to bridge the gap in case my renewal is late or runs into issues.

Good job on getting Basic. If it does what you need, let the class 3 expire.
Eventually want to fly for hire so I'll need a Class 2 anyway but for the time being Basic Med does everything I need, just won't let it lapse because I don't want to restart the entire process again.

UPDATE 9/8/21
After 4 calls to OKC and 2 supervisor escalations I was told today my medical was renewed and it’s being mailed out today. I also got it via secured email.

Terms:
Class 3 medical expires aug 31 2022
AUTHORIZATION expires aug 31 2024

next week I’m doing an accelerated instrument course to complete my hours and checkride is October 1. Just keeping this thread updated to show how the FAA is responding to medicals. I was operating under BasicMed from Sept 1 to now. Highly encourage anyone who got special issuance before to get basic med because without it I would have been grounded waiting for the FAA to renew.

next week I’m doing an accelerated instrument course to complete my hours and checkride is October 1
Let us know which one and a review of the course when completed. Best of luck at it!

TVProducer, when the authorization is longer than the cert. it means in the in between years, the AME can look at the reports and issue you, and send in the documents to be second guessed by the agency. No more MFAT.

Does this also apply if I’m looking to upgrade from a Class 3 to a Class 1?

Update: Met with my Senior AME gave authorization letter and all. He said he has to send it to OKC because it only allows renewal of a Third Class not an upgrade to First Class. Just got my Commerical Pilot certificate and have my CFI and I-I checkride first weekend in March. Luckily a Third Class I can use for that but everything else paid I need that upgraded medical (2nd class but I want the first to not stop me from the 121 world)

Hello all!
@TVProducer I just read the entire thread of your journey through the Special Issuance process! It gives someone like me hope! I also had childhood epilepsy and have been seizure free almost 10 years and off medications for about 7! So I’m looking to begin the process of obtaining my special issuance in hopes of getting my pilots license! Do you mind if I get your contact information just so we could talk privately about your specific situation and journey? I would love to pick your brain in the hopes of becoming a great pilot as it sounds like you have become.

Also, If anyone else has any success stories or advice in navigating the special issuance world, I would love for you to reach out to me!

Regards!

TVProducer, this gives me a lot of hope. I’m almost 4 years off of my isolated incident, and 5 hours into flight training. I’ve been wanting to do this since I’ve been very young, and this gives me a lot of hope. I’m taking it slow (already realize the costs are sunk and it’s a risk I’m willing to take), but your thread shows me anything is possible! Hoping to get up to commercial to fly my family’s company charter jet, but will fly whatever I can get my hands on.

Bump Update 3-28-22

So I went to my new S-AME based in Atlantic City to upgrade my Special Issuance 3rd Class to a 1st Class medical because I now hold my Commercial Certificate and may want to pursue the 121 world. I met with him and provided him all the documents OKC provided me. He said 'Good News is I don't think the upgrade will be an issue under special issuance' .... 'Bad news, I can't upgrade the medical, OKC has to do it because of the grade of certificate change not a renewal of 3rd class'. This was Mid January 2022.

A few days ago I check the airman database and notice my medical status changed to First Class Medical. It also lacked a key component i'm used to 'Medical Certificate Invalid for any class after (expiration date)' So I found that interesting.

I called OKC today and asked for an emailed copy of my new medical which they sent me within an hour. I open the medical certificate with the following verbiage on the first page.

Dear (Name),

Our review of your medical records has established that you are eligible for a First Class medical certificate.
Enclosed is your medical certificate, it must be signed.

YOUR AUTHORIZATION FOR SPECIAL ISSUANCE IS NO LONGER NECESSARY. THEREFORE, NO FURTHER FOLLOW UP REPORTS ARE NECESSARY REGARDING YOUR HISTORY OF CHILDHOOD GENERALIZED SEIZURE DISORDER WILL BE REQUIRED UNLESS YOU EXPERIENCE ADVERSE CHANGES IN YOUR MEDICAL STATUS.

When I read this I couldn't believe it. Looks like after all this hard work and doing what the FAA wanted I have been cleared and sent back into the general pool of medical applicants!

This will probably be my last update post in this thread but I hope it helps anyone else who has to go through this process.

Thanks Everyone!

This thread is very encouraging. I to was diagnosed with epilepsy as a child I only ever had 3 seizures all while I was seeping. the last of which is when my mom tried to wake me and couldn't. any way I am now 34 last seizure would have been when I was 10 and haven't had any medication since I was 12 I think. I had a EEG closer to when I was going to get my drivers license to clear me of any issues so I hope I can follow the same path or possibly even easier as I have been free of the condition for over 20 years. I am about to start my journey into becoming a pilot as I have my first student introductory flight booked in 1 week and am really excited. I guess the next step after the intro flight will be to start the process of a medical since there will really be no point in training if I cant get the medical certificate. Your journey has given me hope, Only issue is I don't live in the same area or even remember the name of the neurologist I saw when I was a child so I'm not sure what my process will be. But either way I at least now know it is possible.

I think you would have a good chance of getting your faa medical, especially with so many years seizure free. And it may not require a SI.

Last edited:
I can ask an AME for a consultation I guess. I just figured that the process for getting a SI and yearly(?) evals (like EEGs) out-of-pocket would not be worth it for someone who wants to fly for fun.

I can ask an AME for a consultation I guess. I just figured that the process for getting a SI and yearly(?) evals (like EEGs) out-of-pocket would not be worth it for someone who wants to fly for fun.

Remember that you can always let the SI expire and switch to Basic Med, since you’re not trying to fly for money. No need to maintain the SI; you only need to get the medical once before going to Basic Med.

Oh, cool.
Also, to be sure, if I speak to an AME as a consultation, he can't keep me from flying light sport due to this piece of history? It honestly was over 25 years ago, and I am absolutely certain that I am healthy enough to fly and have been lucky enough to be free of disqualifying health issues for over two decades.
If you fill out the MedXpress online application, and if the AME or their staff enters the resulting confirmation number into the online system, then you are well and truly hosed. So don't let that happen!

Also, to be sure, if I speak to an AME as a consultation, he can't keep me from flying light sport due to this piece of history?

No, but mistakes happen, so mistake-proof the situation. Print out the MedEx form, cut off the bottom portion with the activation code, and do not hand that portion to the AME until you decide to proceed and let your application go live.

Ok, so I called my local AME about my upcoming appointment and told them that I wasn't ready for the actual exam yet and needed to ask questions about my history first. They said that he doesn't do that, and to look at the FAA website and call them if I have questions. They said he only does the full, official exam.
Should I find another AME?

Yes, you should.

There are two fine ones on this board, @lbfjrmd and @bbchien that can help you, or there might be someone good nearer to you. Dr. Fowler is in Pensacola, FL and Dr. Chien is in Bolingbrook, IL. If you let us know where you are, a forum member might be able to recommend someone close.

For me, it was worth the trip to Illinois to visit Bruce, but my medical required only a single visit.

I'm in the DC metro area of MD

Edit - how do I get the above users to help me out?

Last edited:
I'm in the DC metro area of MD

Edit - how do I get the above users to help me out?

Dr. Lou Fowler is in Florida. Dr. Bruce Chien is in Illinois. Both frequently give of their time and advice here on the board. You can find their information online. If your medical is going to be difficult, I'd strongly urge you to hire one of them to help you through the process. Dr. Fowler, being on the East Coast, probably makes the most sense.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back