100nm either side of MOB get the heck out . .

comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
A strengthening strong CAT 2 hurricane will be arriving on Tuesday. Under the Bastardi rule, when a storm is strengthening at landfall the effects are usually one Cat stronger - so assume you will seeing Cat 3 conditions initially at landfall until the center arrives on shore.

There are not many hangars that are structurally stressed to withstand sustained 115mph winds even for a short time while the storm begins to break down.

Many insurance policies contain a relocation clause in the event a named storm will pass within 75nm of the primary tie down area.

Places I would recommend you evac to include Eastern Georgia and South Carolina - which will see no significant effects from the storm. The storm will be jogging a little west of due north in its path and thus east is better than west and given the size of the storm 250nm is a minimum recommended distance west and 200nm east.

If you are a VFR only pilot - you must evac no later than noon on Monday- this is a HUGE storm distance wise and you will begin to feel the effects at least 18-24 hours before land fall.

You can always evac the aircraft, rent a car and drive back home to finish preparations for your home and loved ones -

Another reason to love living in the northwest.

Best of luck to you in the path.

100nm either side of MOB get the heck out . .

Looking at the latest forecast...Make that New Orleans. They've moved landfall about 75 to 100 miles west every day for the last three or four days.

true - but the fetch is gonna drive all of the water to the east of the center as well - lots of flooding around Biloxi and Mobile . .

We had a cat one hurricane move through here once a few years ago. After witnessing that and it's aftereffects (my neighbor doesn't usually keep tree in her front porch...) I decided that sitting one of those things out take s especial kind of stupid.

You guys down there, you got airplanes. Get away! Nothing you own is worth going through that. Bleech!

now, well, Cat 1 moving along is a who different kind of storm than a intensifying Cat II moving a 3mph . . . of course the models now take it west of NOLA. . . . even if the forecast is still hyping NOLA.

Until the giant tsunami from the subduction earthquake...

I don't live on the coast, just on the southernmost extent of Puget Sound. Not too worried about the tsunami on the coast. And, that happens far less often than hurricanes in the gulf.

true - but the fetch is gonna drive all of the water to the east of the center as well - lots of flooding around Biloxi and Mobile . .

What do the tides look like this time of the month? I know tides aren't huge in the Gulf but they will add a bit to the storm surge.

Back